ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Mar 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #571 of 801
From my experience so far it works 100% fine. You get two in a pack so even if one was bad you still have a second. My problem is with the cable mod (like I said). I got it working, as you can see in the pictures, but it required so much re soldering that it killed the trebles. So I'm going to re do it with some silver solder and a lot more time.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #572 of 801
  From my experience so far it works 100% fine. You get two in a pack so even if one was bad you still have a second. My problem is with the cable mod (like I said). I got it working, as you can see in the pictures, but it required so much re soldering that it killed the trebles. So I'm going to re do it with some silver solder and a lot more time.

Kind of concerned by your wording.. What do you mean by "killed the trebles" looks like you are using the stock cable right? that shouldn't alter the sound.. Then you mentioned "more time".. When soldering especially onto drivers, try to apply heat for the LEAST amount of time possible. (Thin solder) Applying too much heat for too long could cause damage to the drivers..

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #573 of 801
The problem isn't with the headphones at all, when I went to put a male jack on the end of the stock cable I had cut I messed up a few times so it got messy and the solder contacts aren't that good. If I just use a different cable the headphones are amazing. I'm planning on, if I can't get the original cable to work, to just make my own since with those stupid bits of stuff make it impossible to solder on the cables.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #575 of 801
My iron isn't near able to get hot enough to do that so I gave it to someone I know who has one that is. For now I'm just gonna use a spare cable I had laying around. That is why I did this mod after all, so I wasn't reliant on the cable.

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #581 of 801
This mod is useful because you are able to attach different cables for different situations making your headphones much more versatile. It is also useful if your cable breaks.

You can just cut the (straight) cable down and use an extension when needed.  It's a 10 minute job.  I only mention it because some people are a bit rough with the jack installation.

SM

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #582 of 801
  You can just cut the (straight) cable down and use an extension when needed.  It's a 10 minute job.  I only mention it because some people are a bit rough with the jack installation.

SM

The stock cable uses enameled wire, so it would be more than a 10 minute job working with that. The stock coiled cable is a pain in the a**, so a lot of people do it to get rid of that too. 

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #583 of 801
maxresdefault.jpg

SM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back