ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Mar 4, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #559 of 801
My chassis has three ports for me to solder. So does it make that a stereo type??

I can almost certainly sure after looking at the link u bought from, this a mono.
Check the data sheet from the link u got it from it is a mono.
Guess u need to get a new one .
This time get something with locking, like the one I previously suggest to u

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #560 of 801
Got this from RS Singapore Web where u bought the chassis from.
It is mono from the diagram.
(not mentioning it is mono/stereo in the web and data sheet)
adyje2av.jpg

One is ground, and another 2 is connected. So technically only 2pole.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #561 of 801
That's a mono connector with switching. When nothing is plugged in pin 2 is shorted to pin 3, when you plug something in pin 2 is connected to your cable.

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #562 of 801
Hey guys,

This is for all who are having second thoughts weather to mod the ATH- M50s. I had my M50s mod done by a user "mraudio" in the group. My headphones never felt so much better as it is now. Its portability after the mod has made them so much better. I got mod done two months ago and have used the headphones almost daily since then.

I am not an audiophile, just a regular user and my experience in short:

a) Loss of sound quality: None
b) Portability: Awesome
c) Background Noise: same as before (in a sense there's nothing newly added)

To all those who are planning to perform the mod, just made sure to use the right tool/parts or learn the right way from the right person.

Once again thank you so much Mr. audio, his work was simply superb, neat and reliable. 

P.S: would post pictures asap!!

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #563 of 801
Hi Guys , 
thanks for all the help.
Im still waiting for my Solder Suction Pump and Flux to arrive from DX. They are just slow :/
Will use the black cable which i cut off from the 3.5mm extension cable first for the mod.
Don't plan to get a chassis(stereo) for now. I don't even know if my m50s are screwed. 
Hopefully it will work. Will update you guys again :)

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #566 of 801
That one is a stereo... But it's too big to go inside the m50 you need to cut away the m50 case.... Someone in this forum using that chassis (refer to front few pages in this forum)

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #569 of 801
Just for the people who wanna try this, I was extremely nervous about it and pulled it off.

The worst part is the headphone mod is easy. I was using that jack from Radio Shack everyone said not to use and though it is a bit weird with how far I put the male end in, it was so easy to do this mod with. There was zero cutting away, except that one part that everyone has to break, and the soldering couldn't have been easier. Just loop the wire through the whole and dab on some solder and you're done.

On the other hand, the cable can be very hard to do. If you're trying to use the original cable and put a male 3.5mm on it, have patience. It is not easy and took me several tries to get, just make sure you get the wires in the right places.

Anyways, here is my success:

CAM00038_zps2bd945cb.jpg

CAM00039_zps415cf75a.jpg

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #570 of 801
  Just for the people who wanna try this, I was extremely nervous about it and pulled it off.

The worst part is the headphone mod is easy. I was using that jack from Radio Shack everyone said not to use and though it is a bit weird with how far I put the male end in, it was so easy to do this mod with. There was zero cutting away, except that one part that everyone has to break, and the soldering couldn't have been easier. Just loop the wire through the whole and dab on some solder and you're done.

On the other hand, the cable can be very hard to do. If you're trying to use the original cable and put a male 3.5mm on it, have patience. It is not easy and took me several tries to get, just make sure you get the wires in the right places.

Anyways, here is my success:

That looks Beautiful! By the way, just for your information, the jack you used should be the Switchcraft ones but Radioshack has some quality assurance issues with it and thats why some say to avoid it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back