ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Feb 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #541 of 801
Im pretty disappointed because I think I have damaged the driver. Attached the pics. Have a look. I soldered the cables back on but it still doesnt work. No sound. Sigh. Now idk what to do..

I don't think the driver spoiled. Clean up the old soldering iron properly before you do new soldering.
Dunno what tools u have for soldering.
If u don't have soldering flux go get one.
It Help to clean up the old iron easily and make iron stick bettter and flow nicely into place.
(get a suction tools to suck up all the old iron, every electric shop should have)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #542 of 801
I don't think the driver spoiled. Clean up the old soldering iron properly before you do new soldering.
Dunno what tools u have for soldering.
If u don't have soldering flux go get one.
It Help to clean up the old iron easily and make iron stick bettter and flow nicely into place.
(get a suction tools to suck up all the old iron, every electric shop should have)

It looks like your solder points are connected, so it's probably not damaged. The voice coil wires for the driver are up where the grey stuff is. 

I'm with cCasper on this one. There appears to be a bridge between the points. I'd clean up your solder work.
First practice soldering a little more until you feel really confident that you can get a clean joint with minimal heat/time of contact. 
Get some deosoldering wick and clean up the contacts. Place a little flux on the contacts and put a very small layer of solder on them. Tin your wires and resolder to the driver. Use as little solder as necessary to make a clean connection.

Get a second person to help if it seems difficult to hold everything in place by yourself. If you have to heat the contact point for more than a few seconds, it's probably too long. Double check your temperatures and the melting point of your solder. 

Don't dismay, It'll work out :beyersmile:

I didn't notice that grey part. You guys are refering to the T Shaped grey part right? So I just have to clean up that area.. Then I need to.clean the solder points and put flux. Right??
Really hope it still works.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #543 of 801
Put flux on the old iron , heat it up and suck the old iron away using suction tool....
Repeat till clean ..

Next put flux on the new iron and wire. Solder the wire on.
If u clean everything properly, it should stick fairly easily.

(tips :watch some soldering guide on YouTube will give u some idea)

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #544 of 801
Bought the necessary items from dx.com
Flux and solder suction pump. Btw the chassis arrived. I tried to install it. Yeah it fits perfectly. Just got to clean up my solder and resolder everything.

So which wire do I connect to which hole? Thanks

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #548 of 801
I think that's the one from radio shack, correct me if I'm wrong. Which has been known to be hard to work with. But I think it's still stereo. Don't quote me on it.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #549 of 801

Got a multimeter?  Stick a cable in it and check continuity - which contacts lead to which of the solder tabs?  Or grab a simple multimeter or continuity checker at Walmart or such, and return it when you are done, haha.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #550 of 801
su6ataqe.jpg

I got something in my toolbox look exactly the same like the one you bought.
Mine is mono....
Only way to know is check using multimeter

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #552 of 801
https://m.rs-online.com/h5/mobile/singapore/catalog?id=search_form

I bought from this link.
Whats the diff between mono and stereo? :0
I dont have a multimeter btw.
;X

Mono projects the same sound to both sides of the headphone, whereas stereo can project two different soundtracks to each speaker. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #553 of 801
Mono is single channel so 1 conductor and 1 ground. Stereo is dual channel 2 conductors and 1 ground. Stereo plugs have 3 sections on the plug mono have 2, you'll need stereo for headphones unless you intend to drop a channel and get mono, which you wouldn't want.

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #554 of 801
  Mono is single channel so 1 conductor and 1 ground. Stereo is dual channel 2 conductors and 1 ground. Stereo plugs have 3 sections on the plug mono have 2, you'll need stereo for headphones unless you intend to drop a channel and get mono, which you wouldn't want.

Thanks, but practically what does dropping a channel mean? Meaning, how does it affect what you hear. 

Hope it's not that dumb of a question. :D

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #555 of 801
Well that depends on the mix, but in some songs you might not hear half the song if it's panned into the right channel and you only have left. A stereo mix uses both channels and adjusts the balanced of different tracks and different portions of a song in order to create a spacial depth to the music. Good mixing is as much an art as a good performance by a musician.

Basically mono is limited in use, there was a time before stereo was around, people with hearing impairment would use a stereo recording summed to mono because they can only hear out of one ear well. Simple recordings like spoken word are often recorded in mono since stereo would be unnecessary. 

For headphones being used by a person with good hearing you'll want the proper stereo mix most music was made in. That necessitates two channels of audio, one left one right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back