ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Dec 11, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #453 of 801
  I'm looking into doing this with a mini-xlr connector just because it can lock and is a better connector imho.  Would I need a 4 pin or 3 pin connector? also how much bigger would the hole have to be?

You could do 3 or 4, it just depends on what cable you're going to be using. I would just do 3 to keep it simple, 1-left signal, 1 right signal, 1 ground. The hole will need to be a lot bigger. I honestly don't think you will be able to fit a mini xlr chassis in there without doing a LOT of cutting. It would be a mess. You could do a pigtail with a mini xlr in-line jack like on my Denon D2k (Pic below, it has 2 pigtails though). That's the only way I can see you having a mini xlr at all on the M50's. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #454 of 801
  Hi folks,

I've been thinking about doing this sort of modification to my M50s - the 11.5ft straight cable is a real hassle while walking down the street - I can't find anywhere to put it. A removable cable would mean I could switch between longer cables for use with my amp at home and shorter cables while out and about with them.

I was reading a different thread and saw the following photo, which was posted by racer_x124 here.

So as you can see here, he's used a 3-pin mini-XLR jack instead of the Lumberg or another 3.5mm TRS chassis. I like this idea a lot more for a couple of reasons. First, the cable locks in, so there's less chance of pulling it out by mistake. But more importantly, the panel mount jack for a mini-XLR seems to be a lot smaller on the inside than most of the 3.5mm ones I've seen used in this thread. The question I have is whether or not there would be enough room to mount the jack and connect the driver to it without disturbing the internal structure - i.e. without clipping or filing the plastic ring as is necessary for most of these 3.5mm mods. The connector I was looking at possibly using is a Switchcraft TB3MB, which is a standard 3-pin mini-XLR jack with a mounting nut. The B model is painted black, which should look nice with these cans. There is a detailed spec sheet for the connector here.

The specs look to show a depth of about 0.488" maximum from the ring to the back of the module. I may need to open up my cans and do some measurements to see if there's enough wiggle room in there. But just looking at it it does seem like it takes up much less room on the inside than these TRS barrel jacks. racer_x124's post says that "I had a mini XLR in mine with no problems at all. There is a ton of room in the M50," so that sounds hopeful. I think I should PM him as well even though it doesn't look like he's posted in the last year.

If anyone has any advice or comments on this idea I'd love to hear them. I just want to do this safely and modify the internal parts of the headphones as little as possible.

You could do 3 or 4, it just depends on what cable you're going to be using. I would just do 3 to keep it simple, 1-left signal, 1 right signal, 1 ground. The hole will need to be a lot bigger. I honestly don't think you will be able to fit a mini xlr chassis in there without doing a LOT of cutting. It would be a mess. You could do a pigtail with a mini xlr in-line jack like on my Denon D2k (Pic below, it has 2 pigtails though). That's the only way I can see you having a mini xlr at all on the M50's. 

From the top post it looks bigger but definitely not bad. he said that there was plenty of space inside too. thank you for the info, though!

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #456 of 801
No, not using a 3 pole jack, but a 4 pole jack. This allows the mic signal to be carried in a single wire. Another 3 pole jack can be use to attach a mic to the m50.

lumborg has a 4 pole jack with screwing nut.
http://www.newark.com/lumberg/1502-02/connector-rca-phono-jack-4pos/dp/54M1763

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #457 of 801
  You could use this 3.5mm chassis for where you plug the cable in, and then whichever stereo chassis you want for the mic. 
http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-161-7900.htm

Those fit nicely into the M50 cups. I just used a 3 pole version of that for someone here on head-fi yesterday.

No, not using a 3 pole jack, but a 4 pole jack. This allows the mic signal to be carried in a single wire. Another 3 pole jack can be use to attach a mic to the m50.

lumborg has a 4 pole jack with screwing nut.
http://www.newark.com/lumberg/1502-02/connector-rca-phono-jack-4pos/dp/54M1763

The jack I linked IS a 4 pole jack. Here is a diagram of how I imagine you would be wiring this (excuse the terrible artwork):

The area within the LEFT cup in the drawing became pretty congested, sorry about that.

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #460 of 801
I successfully replaced the cable with a jack in my M50's today. I also made a short cable with L-shaped plugs to plug into a bluetooth receiver attached to the side of the cup. Nice with good wireless headphones. I am fortunately not an audiophile by long shots so maybe the sound is not top notch but its still alot better than most ~100$ bluetooth headphones I've tried. I will post pictures as soon as I have attached the BT with using a better method than tape:p

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #462 of 801
Anyone out there who did the mod with an internal Mini XLR jack have any pics they can post of the inside of the can after the jack had been installed? I havent gotten around to doing the mod yet and I wanted to see if anyone else had done it the way I wanted to and had some internal pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back