ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Jan 10, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #472 of 800

ianalitis

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Posts
2
Likes
0
I just performed the mod, one of my first time soldering and spent almost the whole day in frustration :frowning2: My first buggaboo was accidentally yanking the wires from the driver. So the whole day was spent trying to solder and resolder and i just had my first success (sort of) the headphones work left and right, but i only hear in mono. I've been having the worst week and today topped it off lol, my headphones are potentially broke, and i stabbed my self in the thumb about a 1/4 inch deep with my xacto and also stabbed my arm the complete length of the same blade lol. I'm attaching some pics, I believe the problem may be the left green solder to the panel mount as i believe i may have missed the whole because i accidently soldered over it and I am in lack of solder wick. Is that a viable first thing to check out? Also I noticed a substantial decrease in sound quality as well as some static after the mod. Would this be caused by the mono and should i electrical tape things up to prevent interference? Do you notice any other issues? Please help, and if you cant is there anyway that the warranty covers this or i could get a replacement? Also will soundprofessionals possibly be able to fix it if I can't? Sorry for so many questions but I am desperate and very upset now ;( Any help would be appreciated thank you very much.
 
Jan 12, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #474 of 800

Kamakahah

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Posts
2,267
Likes
263
Sounds brutal man.

My experience was totally different. I was watching some anime at 1am and just decided to mod mine. Here are some late night cell pics from an hour later. It was quick and painless for me.




 
Jan 12, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #476 of 800

Kamakahah

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Posts
2,267
Likes
263
  Nicely done sir. I also used Canare wire for the mod. 

 
Thank you. Can't really beat Canare for the price. Just took one wire out of the twist from the 6 or so inches I cut. 
 
For some reason I had built up doing it in my mind as something that would be time consuming. 
 
It took me as much time setting up and breaking down my equipment as it did the actual modding. 
 
I did remove one of the support pegs. Just used some cheap $5 flush cuts and it came off clean and easy. That was all the modification I had to do. 
 
Decided to actually use my solder sucker this time instead of wick to avoid additional heat- worked like a charm. 
 
Jan 13, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #477 of 800

PETEREK

Member of the Trade: ThePETEREK on Etsy
Previously known as cCasper TFG
Joined
Nov 23, 2012
Posts
3,886
Likes
819
Location
Holland, Michigan
Well no one helped me here... So I went out and did it myself:


 


My M50 mod and DIY Neutrik terminated cables:


[COLOR=22229C]
[/COLOR]



 


I used the Lumberg 3.5mm female chassis for the left ear cup hole, which I made bigger by using a file.


[COLOR=22229C]
[/COLOR]


Works really well, the Lumberg chassis has a good lock onto the 3.5mm plug and doesn't come out unless a considerable amount of force is used.


I filled in the gaps with clear silicone, after about 12 hours it set, and holds the chassis strongly in place with some flex when inserting/removing cables.


You didn't have to file out the original hole, the lumber fits through the stock hole as is, you just had to remove the nut and then slip it through the hole and then screw the nut back on.
 
Jan 20, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #479 of 800

Kamakahah

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 21, 2013
Posts
2,267
Likes
263
Not really. You can post asking here or in the For Sale area maybe and find someone that way.

If you were CONUS, I would offer.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top