ATH-A700 Vs. ATH-A900 Vs. ATH M50 Vs. HD555 Vs. Xd53 Vs.Grato Prestige
Jun 5, 2011 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

XPenguin

New Head-Fier
Hi, first thread here! As you can see I'm kind of lost... 
blink.gif
 I'm looking for my first serious pair of headphones. I listen to Rock, Blues, Jazz, Metal, and the occasional Classical. Looks and size are really no issue I suppose. I'll probably get an amp for it in the near future if they're not too expensive. Nice isolation would be good because it would be nice if I could take it wherever I wanted but probably not if it would mean losing out on some other quality...If you think of another choice that could fit in the $100-200 range post it please! Thanks, glad to be a part of Head-Fi! 
dt880smile.png

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 13
The A700/A900 are not for you. The mids are a bit recessed, which is where rock and metal focus on. The Ad900 are fantastic for rock and sound great for blues/jazz. A lot of people like the HD555 for Blues/Jazz, I find them to be borderline rubbish myself, I feel as if I'm struggling to hear things, even in comparison to the Ad700, the clarity in the HD555 just isn't there, everything sounds muffled in comparison. The M50 are decent, but not the best for you, though they are the only good choice for portable means. The Gradio Sr80 might be your perfect cans though, they go fantastic with all of the above genres, but they aren't very good for portable use, you could just a pair of IEMs though for $100 as well.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 13
The ATH-M50 are good for the genres you've specified and also offer a good deal of isolation from the outside world. I have a pair and I love them. Keep in mind that the HD555's and any Grado you're considering (at least to my knowledge) will be open and will both allow sound in mostly unimpeded and leak sound out, so others around you will be able to hear a little bit (depending on volume, of course) of what you're listening to.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
The A700/A900 are not for you. The mids are a bit recessed, which is where rock and metal focus on. The Ad900 are fantastic for rock and sound great for blues/jazz. A lot of people like the HD555 for Blues/Jazz, I find them to be borderline rubbish myself, I feel as if I'm struggling to hear things, even in comparison to the Ad700, the clarity in the HD555 just isn't there, everything sounds muffled in comparison. The M50 are decent, but not the best for you, though they are the only good choice for portable means. The Gradio Sr80 might be your perfect cans though, they go fantastic with all of the above genres, but they aren't very good for portable use, you could just a pair of IEMs though for $100 as well.

Why do you suggest the M50 are not the best for me?

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 13
Fantastic, seems like Grado's are the best bet now. Now the only question is if the $200 SR225i are worth the extra $100 then the SR80i....  Do the 225's fit with the genres I said like the 80's do? (Btw, huge thanks to the people who have helped me get it down to 2 cans!)

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Fantastic, seems like Grado's are the best bet now. Now the only question is if the $200 SR225i are worth the extra $100 then the SR80i....  Do the 225's fit with the genres I said like the 80's do? (Btw, huge thanks to the people who have helped me get it down to 2 cans!)

Many users will agree that the Sr225i are the next step after the Sr80i, I personally did not like the 225i, while I loved the Sr80i. I believe that was due to the terrible default pads on the 225i, imo worse for sound than the stock Sr80i.

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 13
Another contender: AKG K240 MKII. I literally *love* them for jazz and blues. I used to have Alessandro MS-1 as well (customised Grado SR-80) and with these genres I found the AKG so much better that I sold the Alessandro instantly.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 13
For future Head-Fi'ers, I can second the comment above, as I own the 240 MKii. They are fantastic headphones! I can say I like them more than my HD 555's, although the HD 555's are more fun, the K240's are more analytical. I can also compare to the K167's, which are in this price range as well. They are superior to both these headphones. They are very fun to listen to. Itwould recommend the K167 in this price range, then the HD 555, then the K240 MKii

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #12 of 13
I vote 225i as well.

The only other headphones I would suggest would be the AKG Q701. I listen to the band that your avatar comes from all the time, and they sound great through them. Stuff like Beethoven is also nice and clear. Great headphone IMO, but it is slightly out of your price range.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
I vote 225i as well.

The only other headphones I would suggest would be the AKG Q701. I listen to the band that your avatar comes from all the time, and they sound great through them. Stuff like Beethoven is also nice and clear. Great headphone IMO, but it is slightly out of your price range.  

I was going to say that aswell, Love my Q701's, I have kind of retired them with all my other cans, but I pull em out once in a while for a great listening experience! They have a home on my bison horn headphone stand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back