At what point are headphones no longer worth their price tag?
Jun 6, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #106 of 146

Quote:
And yet if people are paying that, what makes it wrong? There's no rule that says 2nd hand gear is automatically knocked town 25-50%. Perhaps buying something for only slightly cheaper but being able to skip taxes/customs is enough. Or maybe that 5% difference is enough incentive on its own.

No you're right. There are no rules, and I'm definitely not one to expect 2nd handed (mint) gear to be knocked down 25%. But from 945 to 890-900, well, for me as buyer, that's out of proportion.

Either way, it's all about how much the seller wants and if the buyer will pay for that :)

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #108 of 146
I've seen people (recently) listing the LCD-2, used, for more than it goes for brand-new.  And that's inter-US, so there's no goofy VAT or shipping inflation to kick the price up.

Quote:
And yet if people are paying that, what makes it wrong? There's no rule that says 2nd hand gear is automatically knocked town 25-50%. Perhaps buying something for only slightly cheaper but being able to skip taxes/customs is enough. Or maybe that 5% difference is enough incentive on its own.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #109 of 146
Happy to hear otherwise, but doesnt the HF-2  HF2sell for more 'pre-loved' than they did new ? The beauty of buying something like the LCD-2 used is that you dont have to wait for your order to be filled, but at least you have a choice - unless you are a personal friend of the Grado family, chances are that you arent going to be coming across a brand new HF2 anytime soon.

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #111 of 146

Quote:
Happy to hear otherwise, but doesnt the HF-2  HF2sell for more 'pre-loved' than they did new ? The beauty of buying something like the LCD-2 used is that you dont have to wait for your order to be filled, but at least you have a choice - unless you are a personal friend of the Grado family, chances are that you arent going to be coming across a brand new HF2 anytime soon.

Audez'e stock's the LCD-2's now, TTVJ also has them in stock. There's no reason anymore for a difference being significantly smaller then with other cans.
The only situation in which I can understand it being sold for the same or even slightly more price, is when the seller has paid 22% import tax to get it into Europe. Then you can't blame them for trying.

HF-2 sells mostly for slightly less then new, but sometimes for more. I personally think that's not in the spirit of headfi FS section because you're actually making a profit out of the headphones then.

But yes, it's always about what the buyer will pay and what a seller will take, and unless they're actually trying to profit from it, it's not against the rules. In the case of LCD-2, price will go lower now they're in stock. People are still trying and there are people not knowing they stock the now, but eventually sellers will have to settle with a lower price (or not sell).

You can see it right now; there are 4 LCD-2's currently on FS section. They have trouble selling it.

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #113 of 146

Quote:
Audez'e stock's the LCD-2's now, TTVJ also has them in stock. There's no reason anymore for a difference being significantly smaller then with other cans.
The only situation in which I can understand it being sold for the same or even slightly more price, is when the seller has paid 22% import tax to get it into Europe. Then you can't blame them for trying.

Or Canada, or Australia, or anywhere outside the US really. Add on the higher shipping cost, duties and customs and brokerage fees, and suddenly you're sitting at an additional 50% over the US sticker price. Heck, one time I tried to order a $100 item and my total shipping/border costs were $120 on top of the item itself.

As a Canadian, I've done my fair share of transactions here on the forums. I buy from anywhere, but when selling I prefer to keep it within Canada because I can ask for and receive a reasonable price that reflects what it cost to get it here.

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #115 of 146

Quote:
i love my my HD800 + cardas, which cost around $1750 total. so maybe that is the number for me.

Its weird, isnt it - when I scan for the items on Audiogon, $1750 would be an absolute bargain for almost anything. Even the Leben MSRP starts to look pedestrian against the asking price for pre-loved high end speaker kit. The key point is that you managed to get off the roundabout without spending 10K. 
beerchug.gif

End of the day, I guess its all relative.

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #116 of 146
i still believe that headphones costing over $300 start to lose their value as the improvements don't match the dollar increase. but then again i have limited experience.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #118 of 146
I have the HD 650s and the LCD2s, both bought new.  The sound quality for the LCD2s may not be double (as the price clearly is) that of the HD 650s, but I still think that they were worth spending the money.  I think it all is a matter of what kind of expectation and how much your budget would allow for closing the gap on that expectation.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #120 of 146

Quote:
Or Canada, or Australia, or anywhere outside the US really. Add on the higher shipping cost, duties and customs and brokerage fees, and suddenly you're sitting at an additional 50% over the US sticker price. Heck, one time I tried to order a $100 item and my total shipping/border costs were $120 on top of the item itself.

As a Canadian, I've done my fair share of transactions here on the forums. I buy from anywhere, but when selling I prefer to keep it within Canada because I can ask for and receive a reasonable price that reflects what it cost to get it here.

May I ask which courier service? That's pretty outrageous
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back