At what point are headphones no longer worth their price tag?
Jun 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #91 of 146

Quote:
Hi there,
I'm actually wondering how the mod will change the 780 too. Since I haven't heard them I can only guess. On stock form. they are no match for the Edition8 or 9. In fact , I don't like them at all. Pro750 is another one a lot of people like and think they are close in sound quality to Ultrasone's top models. I owned the Pro750 for a while and couldn't stand them. It is very hard to know by reading other people's impressions. I tried most of the Ultrasones and the only ones I keep are the Edition9 and HFI650(700 in US).
By the way, I wasn't giving advice. It is just me trying to be witty.
normal_smile%20.gif

Happy listening!

Hey, I'm sorry if I misunderstood the tone of your post.  I'm actually going to the get to try my first Ultrasones pretty soon. Gave up on the whole ALO 780 madness when I found out, through other people's impressions, what the stock headphones sounded like. I thought," how much could those mods really do?" Sounds like ALO transformed the whole headphone, according to people's impressions. Anyway I'm getting the PRO 650 through a trade, so I'm pretty damn excited. I'm into a balanced, natural, yet fun sound (hope the mids are not too recessed either). So we'll see how it goes and how I like them. Btw what made you keep your HFI 650's?

Quote:
My experiences with Ultrasone sound quite similar to yours.  I had the Pro 750 and could never get comfortable with them--they just sounded too cold and harsh.  When I first got the 780, they were okay, but a long way from spectacular.  I fully recabled mine with Canare microphone cable, removed the diode board, dampened the cup and baffle with a bit of dynamat, did a bit of dampening with a bit of poly batting, and opened one more vent on the back of the driver magnet.  Now, they sound really, really good--easily my favourite headphone for electronic music, but great for other things as well.

I haven't listened to the edition 8 or 9, but with the sound I'm getting now, I have no desire to pay that much more.

Hey there, how did the mods alter the sound/sound signature of the HFI780's? Glad to know your mods worked out that well. :)

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #93 of 146

Quote:
i think all headphones are overpriced at their respective msrps.. some more than others though.

that can be said about anything you spend your money on. i agree with you but anything bought new is over priced.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #94 of 146

Quote:

Hey, I'm sorry if I misunderstood the tone of your post.  I'm actually going to the get to try my first Ultrasones pretty soon. Gave up on the whole ALO 780 madness when I found out, through other people's impressions, what the stock headphones sounded like. I thought," how much could those mods really do?" Sounds like ALO transformed the whole headphone, according to people's impressions. Anyway I'm getting the PRO 650 through a trade, so I'm pretty damn excited. I'm into a balanced, natural, yet fun sound (hope the mids are not too recessed either). So we'll see how it goes and how I like them. Btw what made you keep your HFI 650's?

I got my Hfi650 with a Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable at a good price (left over from a group buy) and like them more than most of the other Ultrasones. They have a lively sound with good bass. Not sure if the cable has anything to do with that.

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #95 of 146

Quote:

Hey there, how did the mods alter the sound/sound signature of the HFI780's? Glad to know your mods worked out that well. :)

A couple caveats before I describe this:
1. these mods didn't completely transform the headphones: they are still similar and don't sound to me like really expensive headphones
2. Obviously, I don't want to make big promises.  To my ears, it made a big positive difference, but everyone's ears are different, and I'm not a DIY expert (yet).

That said, these mods seemed to tilt the whole sound signature down slightly.  They still have clear, brilliant treble, but it's no longer sharp or harsh.  The mids are still cool, rather than warm, but they have some body and lack the cold metallic feel they had initially.  The mods also increased bass slightly, without making them boomy or making the bass bleed into the rest of the spectrum.  Finally, the mids have been brought forward considerably, making them better on a variety of genres.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #96 of 146

Quote:
that can be said about anything you spend your money on. i agree with you but anything bought new is over priced.

Well, Superlux models like HD668B or HD681 can hardly be seen as overpriced for what they offer. If it gets cheaper, they'd have to give them away for free
tongue.gif

Some other things offer good value for the money, I think. AKG K240, some German Maestro/MB Quart, for example. But I guess that's subjective offcourse.
It's also noticable in the way that those products are very hard to sell 2nd handed, because they're so cheap already.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #97 of 146
on top of that, some things can also be overpriced when they are 2nd handed.

Best example:

LCD-2

That thing is 945 new and they stock them. People want 900 for them 2nd handed, sometimes even more.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #98 of 146
 Now that the LCD-2 is widely available supply and demand will correct that.

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #99 of 146
I hope so, because I want one :)

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #100 of 146
Don't forget that supply and demand work both ways, so now that used LCD-2s are worth less there is less incentive for people to offer them for sale.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #101 of 146
Quote:

Best example:

LCD-2

That thing is 945 new and they stock them. People want 900 for them 2nd handed, sometimes even more.

It is terrible... 500 or 600 yes.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #104 of 146

Quote:

Best example:

LCD-2

And yet if people are paying that, what makes it wrong? There's no rule that says 2nd hand gear is automatically knocked town 25-50%. Perhaps buying something for only slightly cheaper but being able to skip taxes/customs is enough. Or maybe that 5% difference is enough incentive on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back