At what point are headphones no longer worth their price tag?
Jun 9, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #121 of 146
I think it all depends on what you want out of your headphones, and what you're willing to spend. For some people, buying a pair of headphones for anything over $100 would be outrageous, but, for the majority of us here, that's nothing special, and we'd be willing to spend a lot more. 

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #122 of 146

Quote:
May I ask which courier service? That's pretty outrageous
confused.gif

It was FedEx, though part of the exorbitant cost was because the company would only ship express to Canada. So that was $80 something for shipping, plus another 40 some for taxes and brokerage fees.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #123 of 146

Quote:
I have the HD 650s and the LCD2s, both bought new.  The sound quality for the LCD2s may not be double (as the price clearly is) that of the HD 650s, but I still think that they were worth spending the money.  I think it all is a matter of what kind of expectation and how much your budget would allow for closing the gap on that expectation.

I for one thought that HE-500 sound almost twice as good as HD-600, RS-1 & D7000.  And they cost about the same as D7000 new.  LCD-2 seem about as good as HE-500.  So to answer the OP, I'll say returns start to diminish at $901. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #124 of 146

Quote:
It was FedEx, though part of the exorbitant cost was because the company would only ship express to Canada. So that was $80 something for shipping, plus another 40 some for taxes and brokerage fees.

Man that's just brutal. I am pretty used to hearing people purchasing goods online and getting screwed over in taxes/brokerage fees (U.S to Toronto) but your story is truly one of the worst I've heard and I was curious which company it was. $100 item and $120 on top for shipping, just hearing your story sorta makes me wanna rage.
mad.gif

Canadian retailers generally don't have great deals (relatively to the retailers in the States) but the shipping from the States, unless it's USPS we get screwed over. It's tough.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #128 of 146
I follow a simple rule of economics concerning the money value of anything.  It's the price at which a willing seller and buyer will complete a transaction.  That value may change from transaction to transaction as sellers and buyers constantly adjust their evaluations and expectations.  In principle, I don't think it's more complicated than that although the underlying price theories have filled volumes.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #129 of 146

When you no longer want to pay for them at that price. 

If you paid for them, then obviously they were justified for you.

The tolerance and threshold for this is very personal and differs with every person. It even differs with the model. I would never buy an RS1. But I would buy and LCD2 at a higher price.

But if you had to ask me, generally speaking, the cut off occurs at around $200 US.  Stuff above that price range I buy just because I personally want it that much.

Quote:
Many high end cans, namely LCD-2, HD 800, HE-6, STAX, etc. costs $1000+

At what point are headphones not justifiable for their price tag because of the small little detail difference offered?

For example a $600 headphone is not going to be better two times better than a $300 one, but only minor detail differences(and a different amp requirement which also cost more $). 

EDIT: Actually I was asking what's your opinion on what price point are headphones no longer worth it. 

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #130 of 146
I always try to consider the budget before and after head-fi peer pressure...

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #131 of 146
I've been thinking more about this question.  I think when you are no longer paying for sound quality and build quality and it becomes about something else--luxury, status, materials, aesthetics... then you're paying too much.  That's why the Beats are not worth their price tag, but for the right people, the HD800 and LCD-2 are.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #132 of 146

I agree with you, but then again, people buy all kinds of crap for status and aesthetics. Hell my friend dropped $2k for a MacBook Pro just because he thought it looked nice. To them, it's worth it.
Quote:
I've been thinking more about this question.  I think when you are no longer paying for sound quality and build quality and it becomes about something else--luxury, status, materials, aesthetics... then you're paying too much.  That's why the Beats are not worth their price tag, but for the right people, the HD800 and LCD-2 are.

​

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #133 of 146
Never, music is the second most important thing in my life, I would spare no expense getting the best possible quality I can, diminishing returns and all. Headphones stop being worth it when more expensive does no yield any SQ benefits.

This is for me alone, other peoples views on music may be different.

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #134 of 146

Users who are viewing this thread

Back