Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Feb 6, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #2,177 of 2,727
I want to start messing with it once I get home, but I am uncertain of the right route to take. This is my first DAP so I am sure it will be a bit of a learning curve for me. Another question I had was do most people separate their music types? I have all MP3 for the time being since I never had anything to play Hi-Res and I want all of that on my new DAP, but I will also most likely start buying higher quality music as well.

Feb 7, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #2,178 of 2,727
I'm experiencing the same. I'm having to hold the power button down for 20 plus seconds some times to get it to turn on.
I hold it down for 5-10-15 seconds, and nothing happens.
Have the same problem on two SR-15 devices, have to press several times when it turn on:sweat:
Hope it will be fixed on the new firmware.

Feb 7, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #2,179 of 2,727
I am supposed to get my SR15 in the mail today. Should I not update the firmware?
I wouldn't at this stage as the last firmware release has severely stifled the useability, slower load times, hangs/crashes and because APK Pure is using a new file format for the side-loaded Tidal its unusable, hopefully this will be fixed in the next A&K firmware update. (XAPK) they do not recognise extension.

Feb 7, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #2,180 of 2,727
Unfortunately do not have any updates at the moment. I have asked our team and the Roon team for updates and still waiting for a response.
Will there be support in next firmware for the XAPK files so we can update Tidal, what about the long start-ups and crashes since upgrading to 1.33 firmware? Im sorry but the service and support from Astell and Kern is abysmal. It does not matter if you have a great piece of hardware if nothing works on it and it takes forever to get firmware and the apps that were advertised promised to work working! When is Astell and Kern going to deliver on promises made!

Feb 7, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #2,181 of 2,727
I wouldn't at this stage as the last firmware release has severely stifled the useability, slower load times, hangs/crashes and because APK Pure is using a new file format for the side-loaded Tidal its unusable, hopefully this will be fixed in the next A&K firmware update. (XAPK) they do not recognise extension.
Thank you for the reply! I will learn mine as is once I star messing with it. I am new to DAP's and everything else that comes with this piece of hardware so I want to make sure I don't mess things up. I plan to transfer the music I currently have (all mp3 unfortunately) and then probably start purchasing better quality for anything new that I want to own. I think I should probably separate these file types but I want to be able to shuffle through everything together instead of only one file type or the other at a time.

Feb 7, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #2,182 of 2,727
Besides the sounds, Ill tell you what keeps me coming back to the SR15 from all my daps( lots). AK connect.

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #2,184 of 2,727
I noticed a new thing recently. When I am listening to Tidal (installed via openApp) and I hit pause using the physical button, unpausing using the button is only possible when the device is unlocked. Anyone else seen this issue?

Feb 11, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #2,186 of 2,727
I don't have an issue with turning on. that seems to work perfectly.

I do have a continuing issue with the player not picking up where it left off when I switch it off and back on again. It is all very odd because:
  • when I switch the payer off while a track is playing and then switch it back on, for a split second the track that was playing shows but is then replaced with the “unknown song title” screen
  • when I let it keep playing till it runs out of power and then switch back on, the last track that was playing comes back on
I can’t understand why it would behave differently in these two situations………it feels like it wants to go back to the last track that was playing but something stops it in the first situation but not the second.

I am going to do some trial an error on track numbers to see if there is a consistent tipping point where behaviour changes. It feels like it’s around the 50,000 mark.

Seeing the comments about firmware, is there any way to roll back to the previous firmware to see if that solves the problem? I am guessing not but right now I will try anything because it is really irritating me and ruining what is otherwise a fantastic SR15 experience.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #2,187 of 2,727
It's now exactly one year and five days since I got my SR15, so maybe time to share some impressions / experience.

I use it mainly on the go playing music from a 400GB SD card (80%) and Tidal Master online / offline (20%). I followed all firmware upgrades and experienced zero issues so far.
Sound quality is great, although sometimes I'd like a bit more 'punch'. But overall I'm quite happy with it. UI is also great and exactly to my liking. I really don't want a full blown Android or other OS on a DAP.

Tidal online / offline is working flawlessly. I occasionally encountered stuttering while playing offline albums in the past, but since the last firmware upgrade this seems to have disappeared. Not sure though whether this really was down to the fw or the latest Tidal version I loaded.
Sure, Roon would be nice but I never bought the SR15 with that in mind. I have other kit for Roon at home and the SR15 really is my modern days Walkman.

My only gripe with it is the slow start up, but I can live with that. And battery life could be better as always and with any device.

So overall I'm still in love with the SR15 and don't feel any urgent need to 'upgrade'. It sounds fantastic, is sexy af and very reliable.

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #2,188 of 2,727
I sold a SR15 to someone who says they are unable to get any of their Mac's to recognise the device, hes purchased Dapper software for Android. I used it with Windows and never had any issues, and I am not a Mac user. Is there any advice I could give him to help him connect it up?

Feb 12, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #2,189 of 2,727
I sold a SR15 to someone who says they are unable to get any of their Mac's to recognise the device, hes purchased Dapper software for Android. I used it with Windows and never had any issues, and I am not a Mac user. Is there any advice I could give him to help him connect it up?

they need to download Android Transfer app. I believe it is provided from Google

Feb 12, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #2,190 of 2,727

Users who are viewing this thread

Back