Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Feb 18, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #2,207 of 2,727
i think it was a waste of money buying this.
I wont get most of money back by selling so means gotta loose money to buy something thats supported better like DX160
im thinking of hiby r5 myself

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #2,211 of 2,727
If it does not turn on, it's broken. Kaputt. In this case the owner should take it to his / her retailer. If it's under warranty, good. If not, maybe it can be repaired. What is Jason / AK supposed to do? Release a firmware that can't be installed anyway because the device refuses to turn on?
If you read my response to it says issues not singular, there is a plethora of issues surrounding this unit. The SR15, Jason is the only one we seem to be able to get any feedback from.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #2,212 of 2,727
If you read my response to it says issues not singular, there is a plethora of issues surrounding this unit. The SR15, Jason is the only one we seem to be able to get any feedback from.
even he disappeared

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #2,213 of 2,727
Hi Guys, I'm on SA700 but I guess the open app experience should be the same with SR15...

anyways I have an observation. I installed Spotify and Tidal on my SA700. Played master quality tracks on the downloaded Tidal, but I'm getting a red light (16Bit) on my SA700 which means tidal is playing on Hifi and not on MQA.
When I played the same track on the built in Tidal, I get MQA unfold, the SA700 lights were Green (24 bit /MQA)...was only really able to check this because while MASTERS is checked on the UI of Tidal, the lights on sa700 tells me otherwise that it is not playing MQA...

I'm fine using the built in Tidal. Just wanted to try out offline mode with the downloaded Tidal and happened observe this

Hope someone from AK can confirm this.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #2,214 of 2,727
Just so everyone knows, I'm running the HD 660S of the balanced connection and it has more than enough power. I'm usually around 100 out of 150 with adequate volume unless I want to destroy my hearing.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #2,215 of 2,727
Hi Guys, I'm on SA700 but I guess the open app experience should be the same with SR15...

anyways I have an observation. I installed Spotify and Tidal on my SA700. Played master quality tracks on the downloaded Tidal, but I'm getting a red light (16Bit) on my SA700 which means tidal is playing on Hifi and not on MQA.
When I played the same track on the built in Tidal, I get MQA unfold, the SA700 lights were Green (24 bit /MQA)...was only really able to check this because while MASTERS is checked on the UI of Tidal, the lights on sa700 tells me otherwise that it is not playing MQA...

I'm fine using the built in Tidal. Just wanted to try out offline mode with the downloaded Tidal and happened observe this

Hope someone from AK can confirm this.
This is what i was thinking to, there is definitely a drop in discernable quality as well between the built in and offline Tidal, at least as i perceive it.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #2,216 of 2,727
Heya guys, im a fan of A&K and their daps, love the sound. Now i have a small question, i currently use and own the SR15 and was wondering how it compares to the newer SA700? In terms of sound/build/battery life/real world usage. Is it worth the upgrade? Are the differences that vast between the two players?

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #2,218 of 2,727
Had my SR15 since summer. It's working pretty well, the biggest issue I have with it is the battery life, coming straight from a Cowon Plenue D, which just keeps playing for days and days without need to recharge, but that one also doesn't run android. Occasionally the player will hang or crash and require a reboot. I had a bad SD card first, so it would take FOREVER to do a media scan and sometimes just drain the whole battery while doing so. After replacing that cheapo card with a bigger (and generally more pricey) one, things have been a lot smoother. I have not yet managed to transfer any playlists intact, which is a little annoying. Winamp recognizes the player, but will just crash if I attempt to copy playlists over. Music Bee transfers the FILES in a playlist, but not the actual playlist itself. And recreating playlists on the player itself is too fiddly for me to really try it that way. (Anyone got a solution for that?)

In terms of sound, it is a godsend. It's my first somewhat more "serious" (= expensive) player. I started out way back with a Cowon iAudio X5, which at the time was one of the best sounding pieces of portable players around (I mean, probably not, it was rated as the best audio player in a renowned German computer mag tho, and the sound ran rings around any iPod). Then came an iPod (blegh) and then just several phones (all right to serviceable to bleh). Once Google followed Apple's "bravery" in removing the headphone jack from their phones, I went and got me a Cowon Plenue D. And when that one died, I went for the A&K SR15. So that's what I can compare this to. It's certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the Cowon, that's for sure.

I use it with a Meze 99 Neo and a balanced cable in winter / the office, and KZ AS16's (unbalanced) in summer / on the train. The sound is crisp, clear, enormously detailed, with a very nice soundstage and a very analytic separation of instruments, which I didn't even know I liked. At home I just hook it up to a Peachtree Deepblue 3 via Bluetooth. I used to exclusively listen to music out of my laptop connected to a Brookstone Deep Blue Party and then briefly to the Deep Blue 3, and then found that the SR15 just sounds incredibly much better even via BT on that speaker and now I basically only listen to music from it. Which makes the somewhat weak battery a bigger issue, but I can manage. I installed the most recent update, and so far did not run into any new issues, so that's good. Since I don't exactly swim in cash, I don't think I will upgrade from this bad boy any time soon, unless it just dies on me. I will cautiously recommend it, as much as I can, as I regard myself as more of a newcomer to this whole portable hi-fi thing. I can't compare the SR15 to any similarly priced players, but coming from the cheaper end of the spectrum, I can certainly recommend it to anyone wanting to make the jump.

Feb 21, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #2,219 of 2,727
Had my SR15 since summer. It's working pretty well, the biggest issue I have with it is the battery life, coming straight from a Cowon Plenue D, which just keeps playing for days and days without need to recharge, but that one also doesn't run android. Occasionally the player will hang or crash and require a reboot. I had a bad SD card first, so it would take FOREVER to do a media scan and sometimes just drain the whole battery while doing so. After replacing that cheapo card with a bigger (and generally more pricey) one, things have been a lot smoother. I have not yet managed to transfer any playlists intact, which is a little annoying. Winamp recognizes the player, but will just crash if I attempt to copy playlists over. Music Bee transfers the FILES in a playlist, but not the actual playlist itself. And recreating playlists on the player itself is too fiddly for me to really try it that way. (Anyone got a solution for that?)

In terms of sound, it is a godsend. It's my first somewhat more "serious" (= expensive) player. I started out way back with a Cowon iAudio X5, which at the time was one of the best sounding pieces of portable players around (I mean, probably not, it was rated as the best audio player in a renowned German computer mag tho, and the sound ran rings around any iPod). Then came an iPod (blegh) and then just several phones (all right to serviceable to bleh). Once Google followed Apple's "bravery" in removing the headphone jack from their phones, I went and got me a Cowon Plenue D. And when that one died, I went for the A&K SR15. So that's what I can compare this to. It's certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the Cowon, that's for sure.

I use it with a Meze 99 Neo and a balanced cable in winter / the office, and KZ AS16's (unbalanced) in summer / on the train. The sound is crisp, clear, enormously detailed, with a very nice soundstage and a very analytic separation of instruments, which I didn't even know I liked. At home I just hook it up to a Peachtree Deepblue 3 via Bluetooth. I used to exclusively listen to music out of my laptop connected to a Brookstone Deep Blue Party and then briefly to the Deep Blue 3, and then found that the SR15 just sounds incredibly much better even via BT on that speaker and now I basically only listen to music from it. Which makes the somewhat weak battery a bigger issue, but I can manage. I installed the most recent update, and so far did not run into any new issues, so that's good. Since I don't exactly swim in cash, I don't think I will upgrade from this bad boy any time soon, unless it just dies on me. I will cautiously recommend it, as much as I can, as I regard myself as more of a newcomer to this whole portable hi-fi thing. I can't compare the SR15 to any similarly priced players, but coming from the cheaper end of the spectrum, I can certainly recommend it to anyone wanting to make the jump.

Have you looked at Dapper, thread is here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dapper-for-mac-updates-app-to-sync-itunes-with-your-dap.795803/ and a link to the website is here - https://www.map-pin.com/dapper/

It's been on my radar to look at, just haven't had time yet.

Feb 28, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #2,220 of 2,727
I'm currently looking to buy the SR15. But I have one question:
Does it support the Amazon Music app? Online and offline? Because even if the quality isn't that great, I actually have quite a huge library there and a lot of free music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back