Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Mar 6, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #2,236 of 2,727
So I have a FiiO A5 portable amp connected, line out enabled on the SR15. My previous DAP would automatically be at 100% volume and I would adjust the volume over the amp. But here, it doesn't lock the volume so I put it at 100%... And then saw it can go up to 150%? Weird. Did not notice it before.

Mar 6, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #2,237 of 2,727
So I have a FiiO A5 portable amp connected, line out enabled on the SR15. My previous DAP would automatically be at 100% volume and I would adjust the volume over the amp. But here, it doesn't lock the volume so I put it at 100%... And then saw it can go up to 150%? Weird. Did not notice it before.
After turning on line out in the settings, turn the volume knob and press the line out box in the middle of the screen to enable line out. It's a safety feature in case you turn line out on accidentally with headphones or IEMs on.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 6, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #2,238 of 2,727
Latest firmware will cover all previous firmware updates.
Thanks Jason.
After about 60 hours Firmware 1.33 I'm loving this little DAP.
and that's another thing, I was surprised at how small/portable the SR15 is.
really looking forward to further exploring capabilities of the sr15

One other question, what version of the firmware introduced the power on/ power off issue?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,239 of 2,727
After turning on line out in the settings, turn the volume knob and press the line out box in the middle of the screen to enable line out. It's a safety feature in case you turn line out on accidentally with headphones or IEMs on.

Thanks for the answer! Totally did not see that. Makes sense and works.

I enjoy the sound so much, not only on IEMs but my headphones sound great as well combined with the portable amp.

Mar 9, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #2,241 of 2,727
Hello, everyone!

Here i want to report strange issue with A&K SR15. Sleep timer not working at all.

Now it happens like that:

If i turn on sleep timer, for example for 10 minutes, then after this time sleep timer checkbox in settings became unchecked. If music is being played when 10 minutes is up then music pauses.

If i turn on sleep timer and then reboot SR15, then after power on i see timer checkbox unchecked.

Before, few months (two or three) when i just started use SR15 sleep timer was worked almost good. Almost because after few days in mode sleep-power-on interface became slow. I tried 6-7 times to press interface button, before it works. Home button not worked at all. But this effect faded away after reboot.

Once, without any stranger things sleep mode became working as I described in 'now' block.

Tried 'settings reset', then 'factory data reset', than 'system information' -> 5 clicks by 'model number' -> factory tool -> 'settings reset'.

Nothing helped.

Few days ago i've updated firmware to 1.33 with hope than sleep mode will become working. But it not happened :)

Met anybody this problem? How can it be fixed? Maybe is there way to report A&K this bug to get rid it in future firmware versions?

Will be grateful for any advice

Mar 11, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #2,242 of 2,727
Well,

I have a problem, and I would also appreciate some guidance here. Jason, if you're still involved on this thread, I tried emailing a&K and nobody replies. Was hoping not to post this publicly on the forums.

I've been enjoying my SR15 for two months now. Love the sound, the screen. Underwhelmed by the battery, for the price.
Firmware 1.33

I think my battery is stuffed, and I've replied to the above head-fi-er because my timer is at least as screwy as his, if not part of my problem.

My battery will drain when the SR15 is turned off. This happens about 70% of the time. I pretty much expect it to happen and plan around it. and once, it was in my bag pressed up against an old phone and a jumper, and it was super hot. Almost too hot to hold.
Also my device irregularly gets too hot to hold when I'm just listening to single ended with no wifi or Bluetooth or anything else. Occasionally.

I also have a similar problem to another previous post regarding the power button not working. This happens often. More than 50% of the time when I pick up the device to turn it on, the power button doesn't work. So I'm left wondering, should I keep pressing the power button 50 times until it would like to power up? Or has my battery drained while I've been at work?

I can leave the device on charge most times before I want to use it.
I feel like I should not have to, but I can deal with it.
The idea that it might melt my bag or even catch fire is starting to scare me, especially after 150 pages of complaints here on head-fi.

Please can someone help me solve either of these problems?

Hello, everyone!

Here i want to report strange issue with A&K SR15. Sleep timer not working at all.

Now it happens like that:

If i turn on sleep timer, for example for 10 minutes, then after this time sleep timer checkbox in settings became unchecked. If music is being played when 10 minutes is up then music pauses.

If i turn on sleep timer and then reboot SR15, then after power on i see timer checkbox unchecked.

Before, few months (two or three) when i just started use SR15 sleep timer was worked almost good. Almost because after few days in mode sleep-power-on interface became slow. I tried 6-7 times to press interface button, before it works. Home button not worked at all. But this effect faded away after reboot.

Once, without any stranger things sleep mode became working as I described in 'now' block.

Tried 'settings reset', then 'factory data reset', than 'system information' -> 5 clicks by 'model number' -> factory tool -> 'settings reset'.

Nothing helped.

Few days ago i've updated firmware to 1.33 with hope than sleep mode will become working. But it not happened :)

Met anybody this problem? How can it be fixed? Maybe is there way to report A&K this bug to get rid it in future firmware versions?

Will be grateful for any advice

Mar 13, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #2,243 of 2,727
Ok, firstly hello to fellow SR15 owners.

I'm onto my second unit as the first SR15 would not turn on, is this a common problem with the latest v1.33 firmware installed?
NOW, the second SR15 (Exchanged with my dealer) is doing exactly the same ACTING LIKE A BRICK!
When it works I love it but its now just very frustrating paperweight!!!

Any solutions? A&K person?

What would be a good alternative to the SR15?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #2,244 of 2,727
Mar 15, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #2,246 of 2,727
Yes please, that’ll be great. Mainly hoping for lower battery consumption management and the powering on issues to be fixed. Heating issues and battery drain while off still happens quite often despite being mentioned these should go away after a couple of usage cycles. Would rsther have fixes than additional afterthought features first.

Mar 15, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #2,247 of 2,727
I have passed on all of the comments here to our dev team. Next SR15 firmware update is expected around the end of March/Early April. I am waiting for confirmation on what bug fixes were included in this next firmware update.

Thanks JasonNYC,

Your presense here is appreciated, good on u for going the extra mile.

I read here somewhere that problems like the power button not working may have only started with the recent firmware update, 1.33.
If the new firmware fixes my battery & button problem, I will be super pumped! And I'll be singing A&Ks praises again, to anyone who listens.
Because everything else about this device is a pleasure to use. I wish I had more hours in the day to use it.

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #2,248 of 2,727
Guys with "power button problem" (device doesn't turn on by holding Power button for the usual amount of time) - next time it occurs, try to connect the micro-USB end of charging cable to the player and repeat the procedure.
The funniest thing is that the other (USB) end of cable may even remain loose, i.e. not connected to anything (laptop, powerbank, etc).
This "method" works for me.

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #2,249 of 2,727
Guys with "power button problem" (device doesn't turn on by holding Power button for the usual amount of time) - next time it occurs, try to connect the micro-USB end of charging cable to the player and repeat the procedure.
The funniest thing is that the other (USB) end of cable may even remain loose, i.e. not connected to anything (laptop, powerbank, etc).
This "method" works for me.

Does it work without fail for you?

I read something similar earlier in this thread, and have tried it.
I think there is something in the theory, and I will continue to attempt it, at least occasionally.

But here is my experience trying this:

It works sporadically, as did removing the microSD, a few times. But I cannot rely upon it.

Super stoked about the upcoming firmware release. Can hardly wait, checking the website daily! Praying covid19 doesn't get between me and my power button!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back