Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Feb 3, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,163 of 2,727
Also if anyone has used Balanced out of SR15 for Andromeda. I currently drive it off 3.5 mm output since I don't have good balanced cables. Looking for cable upgrade, not sure if i should get balanced ones.

Feb 4, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #2,164 of 2,727
Further to my post last week about function issues, I am left with one residual issue after lots of playing around. the issue I have is that if I switch the player off, when I switch it back on again, instead of starting up with the last track being played before switch off, it says "unknown song title".

it seems that there must be an unspoken limit to the number of files the SR15 can handle and function fluently. Having been methodical and loaded tracks onto the card bit by bit and testing functionality, I got to a point with 50,000 tracks where it was still essentially fully working. at that point I could switch off while playing a track and when I switched back on that track came back on (at the start of the track). However if I switched off while on pause, it didn't and the "unknown song title showed instead".

However by the time I had fully loaded the card (68,000 tracks) it went to "unknown song title" no matter how I switched it off. What this means is every time I switch on again I have to go into the song list (which takes 16 seconds to load up) choose a song and play it. It's irritating but it's not quite a deal breaker. It would be great if there was a solution, however I suspect I have gone beyond the point at which the SR15 can fully cope.

Any thoughts/ideas welcome.

Feb 4, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #2,165 of 2,727
Just created an account and this is my first response of any kind, but I am a bit worried that I just made a mistake buying the SR15 after reading some recent problems users are having. I read a lot of reviews these past few days and ended up pulling the trigger on the AK SR15 because I found it for $499 brand new which I thought was an awesome deal. Should I be concerned that I will have issues or even cancel my order?

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #2,166 of 2,727
So I received the SR15 last night. I have some impressions. I'm pairing it with the Campfire Audio Atlas. I HAVE NOT updated to the latest firmware.

1. I love the size and the unique design, although some edges are a smidge too sharp.
2. The player does get warmer than say the FiiO M11 that I owned before, but it's not an overkill.
3. After 4 hours the battery is down to 60% .. not too great, especially compared to the FiiO M11. This is probably my biggest gripe. I'm using 3.5mm while playing mainly FLAC files. I also have the AKConnect on.
4. The UI is quick and responsive. I was able to get down the interface pretty quickly.
5. I had more the enough power to run the Atlas, and I was even able to power the HD 800S (130/150 before it got too loud)
6. The sound is great! I believe that the treble is a tad forward, the bass is there but more rounded than punchy, the mid-range is neutral. This player is very good at extracting details. I did not experience any hiss. I think that this is a GREAT pairing with the Atlas.
7. Tidal is great, but when I try to search something I'm getting no help in recommendations. I HAVE to know what I want to listen to. This is somewhat frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this?
8. Portability is a 9/10 while taking the somewhat short battery-life into account.

All in all I'm really glad that I made this purchase. The build quality is amazing and I love the scroll wheel -- it has perfect sensitivity! I didn't expect the player to be this small, but it's cute to look at. :p

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #2,167 of 2,727
So I received the SR15 last night. I have some impressions. I'm pairing it with the Campfire Audio Atlas. I HAVE NOT updated to the latest firmware.

1. I love the size and the unique design, although some edges are a smidge too sharp.
2. The player does get warmer than say the FiiO M11 that I owned before, but it's not an overkill.
3. After 4 hours the battery is down to 60% .. not too great, especially compared to the FiiO M11. This is probably my biggest gripe. I'm using 3.5mm while playing mainly FLAC files. I also have the AKConnect on.
4. The UI is quick and responsive. I was able to get down the interface pretty quickly.
5. I had more the enough power to run the Atlas, and I was even able to power the HD 800S (130/150 before it got too loud)
6. The sound is great! I believe that the treble is a tad forward, the bass is there but more rounded than punchy, the mid-range is neutral. This player is very good at extracting details. I did not experience any hiss. I think that this is a GREAT pairing with the Atlas.
7. Tidal is great, but when I try to search something I'm getting no help in recommendations. I HAVE to know what I want to listen to. This is somewhat frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this?
8. Portability is a 9/10 while taking the somewhat short battery-life into account.

All in all I'm really glad that I made this purchase. The build quality is amazing and I love the scroll wheel -- it has perfect sensitivity! I didn't expect the player to be this small, but it's cute to look at. :p

Apart from a tad short battery life, it is a great player indeed. Sad that people are facing issues, but hopefully that will be resolved in next update.

Did you try the balanced output, is there any improvement over SE?

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #2,168 of 2,727
Apart from a tad short battery life, it is a great player indeed. Sad that people are facing issues, but hopefully that will be resolved in next update.

Did you try the balanced output, is there any improvement over SE?

I haven't and probably won't try balanced as I have more than enough power left over for what I'm using.

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #2,169 of 2,727
I haven't and probably won't try balanced as I have more than enough power left over for what I'm using.

I was more concerned about the output impedance difference with the outputs.
I guess, that would affect more sensitive IEMs such as Andromeda (which is my case).

Feb 6, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #2,170 of 2,727
6. The sound is great! I believe that the treble is a tad forward, the bass is there but more rounded than punchy, the mid-range is neutral. This player is very good at extracting

The great feature of the SR15 is that it sounds differently from 3,5 mm output and from 2,5 mm.

Feb 6, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #2,171 of 2,727
The great feature of the SR15 is that it sounds differently from 3,5 mm output and from 2,5 mm.
How does it differ and what IEM did did you try?

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #2,172 of 2,727
How does it differ and what IEM did did you try?
Hi, I hear the same differences in sound as some SR15 reviewers on internet.
3,5 mm - more bass and mids
2,5 mm - more heights
Recently, I've tested that with Brainwavz B400 (I needed to get more heights from them:)),same cables with different plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back