Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Sep 29, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #1,952 of 2,727
My observations as a new user of SR15:
- internal memory is slow, in comparision to Cowon Plenue R and Pixel 2XL smartphone, memory speed looks like a turtle near to hare
- by using physical buttons (next) first second of song is cut; changing songs on-screen is ok
- there is no charging battery indicator or animation, a picture of battery appears once, than nothing
- system is overloaded with these semi-transparent skins, having simple black theme should make device faster and snappier
- device is not recognized by my PC (Windows 10, 1903), had to change MTP to internal DAC, and again to MTP to see my files
- using oudated microUSB input instead of USB C is a very bad move
Other than that, music is fabulos, especially on balanced output. @JasonNYC - please look at my thougs by next firmware version,
I'm also sick and tired of dap, they mostly just don't update comprehensively, and will always have issues here and there, fix an issue and another issue appears, and some even outright doesnt update anymore after only a short time span

Sep 30, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #1,953 of 2,727
to be fair I have none of those issues, my buttons dont skip tracks, both my laptops reconize the player fine without me needing to change settings and dont find UI slow.
my main downside is battery life and no neutron still

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #1,954 of 2,727
Loving SR15. One question though:

Just tried Amazon ultra HD and it seems that the Amazon music app reports the device capability as 24-bit / 48 KHz and is playing at that resolution instead of track’s 96 KHz. This is shown when you play an Ultra HD marked track and click on the ULTRA HD text in the now playing screen.

Do I need to do some adjustments or is this a limitation of Amazon Music App or Open App service in SR15.

Here is the screenshot:
728A2DD5-9677-42F6-B3E2-72A47FDFC355.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #1,955 of 2,727
Loving SR15. One question though:

Just tried Amazon ultra HD and it seems that the Amazon music app reports the device capability as 24-bit / 48 KHz and is playing at that resolution instead of track’s 96 KHz. This is shown when you play an Ultra HD marked track and click on the ULTRA HD text in the now playing screen.

Do I need to do some adjustments or is this a limitation of Amazon Music App or Open App service in SR15.
It’s the Amazon Android app. No matter the device it’ll cap out at 24/48.

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,956 of 2,727
to be fair I have none of those issues, my buttons dont skip tracks, both my laptops reconize the player fine without me needing to change settings and dont find UI slow.
my main downside is battery life and no neutron still
mine also experiences low battery life. The weird thing here is i can easily listen for 1-2 hours and it only consumes 20-30% battery; but when it's in standby mode, the battery drains out completely.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #1,958 of 2,727
mine also experiences low battery life. The weird thing here is i can easily listen for 1-2 hours and it only consumes 20-30% battery; but when it's in standby mode, the battery drains out completely.
I've noticed the same issue, mine can have 30% charge when off and when I goto use it, its completely dead, has to be a firmware issue

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #1,960 of 2,727
I am using an SR15 with V3 Andromeda single ended stock cable. I too wondering about going balanced on the SR15. Also has anyone used the Andromeda Golds with the SR15, do you lose the black background with the even lower impedance from the OG Andromeda’s.

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,961 of 2,727
I am using an SR15 with V3 Andromeda single ended stock cable. I too wondering about going balanced on the SR15. Also has anyone used the Andromeda Golds with the SR15, do you lose the black background with the even lower impedance from the OG Andromeda’s.

I got balanced cable and with Andromeda S it does not really make a large difference. But with Focal Clear or Sony Z1R yes. U would say that when you need more power it's more audible then.
Tried gold version - all good. Gold is really nice and sound is slightly better. Better bas control and mids.

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,965 of 2,727
I don't suppose this player supports Apple Music?

I installed Apple Music through Openapp and it seems to work fine. Listening to it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back