Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Sep 19, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #1,936 of 2,727
Can you stream from your phone and Bluetooth it to this dap?

Sep 22, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #1,938 of 2,727
I think I figured out a short term cure for offline tidal shuddering
Go to services, the on loaded tidal app has a small i next to it, hit it and then clear the cache. Mine was at 1.9 gigs. After that no more shuddering this week. Will empty cache every few days. Hopefully this works. I noticed the shuddering was more often but now haven’t noticed on albums which had shuddered in recent past

Sep 22, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #1,941 of 2,727
I think I figured out a short term cure for offline tidal shuddering
Go to services, the on loaded tidal app has a small i next to it, hit it and then clear the cache. Mine was at 1.9 gigs. After that no more shuddering this week. Will empty cache every few days. Hopefully this works. I noticed the shuddering was more often but now haven’t noticed on albums which had shuddered in recent past
Spoke too soon. Shuddering still.
Anyone come up w a solution? Also if the tidal app is side loaded, will it automatically update as if it were a regular tidal app? If not do we need to download any updates manually?

Sep 22, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #1,943 of 2,727
Spoke too soon. Shuddering still.
Anyone come up w a solution? Also if the tidal app is side loaded, will it automatically update as if it were a regular tidal app? If not do we need to download any updates manually?

Yes you need to update the sideloaded app manually. Need to download the updated APK and install it and delete the old one. Make sure you're using the latest version.

Sep 24, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #1,944 of 2,727
What was the latest on Last.fm scrobbling? The addition of the Last.fm app to the Open APP list didn't seem to do anything or scrobble tracks I have on my SR15. I remember @JasonNYC mentioning scrobbling was something that was being tested though, is that a separate update which will be coming to future firmware?

Sep 24, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #1,945 of 2,727
So, just picked up the player, after having a mk1 ak70, and really pleased with it. Marked uptick in SQ from the Ak70 in my opinion. Mainly listened to ak70 in office with klipsch x20is previously..

Drives my oppo pm2 through balanced mode lovely, and when using in office sounds terrific, much better and was happy beforehand

Tidal offline was the trigger for me and v happy

Sep 25, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #1,946 of 2,727
My observations as a new user of SR15:
- internal memory is slow, in comparision to Cowon Plenue R and Pixel 2XL smartphone, memory speed looks like a turtle near to hare
- by using physical buttons (next) first second of song is cut; changing songs on-screen is ok
- there is no charging battery indicator or animation, a picture of battery appears once, than nothing
- system is overloaded with these semi-transparent skins, having simple black theme should make device faster and snappier
- device is not recognized by my PC (Windows 10, 1903), had to change MTP to internal DAC, and again to MTP to see my files
- using oudated microUSB input instead of USB C is a very bad move
Other than that, music is fabulos, especially on balanced output. @JasonNYC - please look at my thougs by next firmware version,

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #1,947 of 2,727
I'm looking to get one of these. Does anyone know if this device supports Amazon Music HD at full bitrate (24/192) with SRC (Sample Rate Converter) bypass? I understand that it does with Tidal Masters (please let me know if I'm wrong on this). I know Android devices can be a problem on this issue and my research makes me unsure on this specific device... My primary use case is wi-fi streaming, not local storage.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #1,948 of 2,727
I'm looking to get one of these. Does anyone know if this device supports Amazon Music HD at full bitrate (24/192) with SRC (Sample Rate Converter) bypass? I understand that it does with Tidal Masters (please let me know if I'm wrong on this). I know Android devices can be a problem on this issue and my research makes me unsure on this specific device... My primary use case is wi-fi streaming, not local storage.

Below was posted by @JasonNYC on the KANN CUBE thread:

We are seeing the new Amazon Music app that supports hi-res streaming is NOT bypassing Android and is playing all hi-res at 24/48. This doesn't seem to be an issue with just our players, it is happening on other Android devices that are capable of playing back full resolution. It doesn't seem to be bypassing Android on those devices either. Our dev team is researching the issue and I will share when I know more, but I assume we may see an update to the Amazon Music app soon.

Sep 25, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #1,949 of 2,727
When EQ is on NORMAL, I'm finally happy with the SR15 sound. :gs1000smile: It lighten the Midrange and Treble. But the most valuable change is much more wider and further Soundstage. (And only guys from A&K knows what else.)

Why didn't I know that before? ... I normally don't use EQ. Edit: For 3,5mm jack

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,950 of 2,727

Users who are viewing this thread

Back