Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Aug 1, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #1,833 of 2,727
Is the general consensus that sr15 is better than 300r? I am deciding which one. I currently have AK jr and 30r. I like the sound of 30r better. The 30r has the same DAC and AMP as 300r so would they sound similar? 30r only has Tidal and TuneIn. I use HD6xx balanced on 30r. Anyone out there who has both sr15 and 300r can let me know what you think? SR15 has newer Android version than 300r. Would that makes a difference in the future streaming?

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #1,834 of 2,727
I remember a post in this thread that ran a battery life test of the SR15 sometime back and thought of doing the same to my almost 1 year old unit.

Ran it to play continuously from full 100% with 1more Quad drivers (32 ohm; 99 sensitivity IEMs) plugged in playing all FLACs at a volume of 91. Drained it overnight up to 1% before turning it off to clock in at a total of 9 hours and 5 minutes.

About as expected, won’t hit a 10-hour cycle at a listenable volume even with an IEM I guess. Here’s hoping the SR15 would still have a lasting battery moving forward after this 1 year.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #1,835 of 2,727
Is the general consensus that sr15 is better than 300r? I am deciding which one. I currently have AK jr and 30r. I like the sound of 30r better. The 30r has the same DAC and AMP as 300r so would they sound similar? 30r only has Tidal and TuneIn. I use HD6xx balanced on 30r. Anyone out there who has both sr15 and 300r can let me know what you think? SR15 has newer Android version than 300r. Would that makes a difference in the future streaming?

I have both 300R and SR15. I've been using both extensively over the past 5 months. I think the SR15 beats the 300R in detail, resolution, bass and mids. The 300R has a more airy sound to it and perhaps a little wider soundstage. The SR15 is more mid-focused and more organic sounding, while 300R is more neutral in my opinion.

The 300R, despite using an older android, is very fast even with current updated apps. The M11 from FIIO is the only android-based dap I've tried that's faster than the 300R, but the M11 doesn't do bass quite well in my opinion -- a little loose, uncontrolled and missing resolution. These opinions were based off of using all three with CFA Solaris, qdc Anole VX, CA Fibae 7, Meze Rai Penta, Etymotics ER2XR and Moondrop Kanas Pro.

At the end of the day, I prefer the SR15 over the other two, but it also does cost more (present day value). I am selling my 300R now, and that's mostly because I prefer the portability and size of the SR15, plus the slightly more engaging sound.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #1,836 of 2,727
I have both 300R and SR15. I've been using both extensively over the past 5 months. I think the SR15 beats the 300R in detail, resolution, bass and mids. The 300R has a more airy sound to it and perhaps a little wider soundstage. The SR15 is more mid-focused and more organic sounding, while 300R is more neutral in my opinion.

The 300R, despite using an older android, is very fast even with current updated apps. The M11 from FIIO is the only android-based dap I've tried that's faster than the 300R, but the M11 doesn't do bass quite well in my opinion -- a little loose, uncontrolled and missing resolution. These opinions were based off of using all three with CFA Solaris, qdc Anole VX, CA Fibae 7, Meze Rai Penta, Etymotics ER2XR and Moondrop Kanas Pro.

At the end of the day, I prefer the SR15 over the other two, but it also does cost more (present day value). I am selling my 300R now, and that's mostly because I prefer the portability and size of the SR15, plus the slightly more engaging sound.

Thanks.

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #1,837 of 2,727

Thanks for your impression. I’ve listened to the SR15 and like it. It’s a nice compact player with good sound quality.

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #1,838 of 2,727
I remember a post in this thread that ran a battery life test of the SR15 sometime back and thought of doing the same to my almost 1 year old unit.

Ran it to play continuously from full 100% with 1more Quad drivers (32 ohm; 99 sensitivity IEMs) plugged in playing all FLACs at a volume of 91. Drained it overnight up to 1% before turning it off to clock in at a total of 9 hours and 5 minutes.

About as expected, won’t hit a 10-hour cycle at a listenable volume even with an IEM I guess. Here’s hoping the SR15 would still have a lasting battery moving forward after this 1 year.

9hrs+ battery life is a respectable number for a compact player. Were u testing it with SE or Balanced output? I’m guessing it’s with SE.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,840 of 2,727

I agree I am SO HAPPY I ended up with my A&K after my Onkyo DP-X1 self destructed on me. It's the closest sound signature to the DP-X1 I could find. I had to listen to a few DAP's.

I have to say... I'm not sure i would pay @ $700 for it though. I was lucky to find a headfi'er who let his like new SR15 go for $450 shipped. :gs1000smile:

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #1,841 of 2,727
New firmware coming for the SR15 in the next 24 hours.

Firmware changes include:
  • New Open APP Services added: 7Digital, Apple Music, Audiobooks from Audible, BBC iPlayer Radio, Foobar2000, IDAGIO, Last.FM, Onkyo Music, Player FM and Yandex Music.
  • 1TB microSD card support
  • Car Mode function added
  • EQ Sharing Sync function added
  • Other operational stability improvements

Jason,
I can't seem to find Last.FM on APKPure.com

Am I looking in the right place?!?

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #1,842 of 2,727
Jason,
I can't seem to find Last.FM on APKPure.com

Am I looking in the right place?!?

I couldn’t find it either and ended up doing a google search for “Last.fm apk apkpure” Unfortunately, once installed, the app really doesn’t do much and doesn’t scrobble music from the built-in music app or the native Tidal app. Its basically useless to me so I deleted it.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #1,843 of 2,727
I couldn’t find it either and ended up doing a google search for “Last.fm apk apkpure” Unfortunately, once installed, the app really doesn’t do much and doesn’t scrobble music from the built-in music app or the native Tidal app. Its basically useless to me so I deleted it.

Jason,

Could you comment on this?

Thanks.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #1,844 of 2,727
Hey guys, i have a friend who is debating getting this player-is there a head fi community review page for it? Have searched and couldnt find.

If not, im mainly looking for known negatives with it-i personally have tried it and loved it (did not purchase) but he is considering it or something around the similar price range.

Thanks in advance :)

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #1,845 of 2,727
I have migrated to the SR15 from the AK100 (stolen) and the AK120 (lost).
With those two models, there was a System folder in the internal storage that contained the scan database named AKxxxSyncDB.db3, which was a SQLlite database. I could connect to it with SQLliteStudio and copy/past the data to excel, where I could copy/paste the file names into notepad (saved as a .pls file) to create playlists.
In the AK100 and AK120 the external storage was /mnt/SD0/. I assumed the SR15 would be the same and copied all of my playlist files to the Playlist folder. The SR15 sees all of the playlists, but they all show to have 0 songs.
Searching through the internal storage, I can't find a .db3 file to see what the path name is to edit the .pls files.
BTW, my computer is Windows 10.

Does anyone know:
  1. What the external file path is?
  2. Where the music scan database is located?
  3. Can playlists be created on a computer and copied to the playlist folder? When I tried, the files end up empty.
  4. Can artists and/or albums be added to a playlist en mass or does each song have to be added individually?

The notion of manually recreating tens playlists which have from tens to thousands of songs through the UI may be a deal breaker.

Any help would be appreciated.:beyersmile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back