Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Feb 4, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #1,156 of 2,727
SR15 doesn't support quick charge:
Using a higher rated or fast-charge adapter that supports varying
voltages (5V, 9V and 12V) is not recommended, may not charge
the device and may cause malfunctions

My SR15 still feels warm even after more than 200 hrs burn in.
Battery life in balanced mode with bluetooth on is abysmal. It barely lasted my last 4 hrs flight couple of days ago, going from 95% to 20%.

Where you using the SR15 as a BT reciever? Because unless you meant WiFi I don’t know why you’d have Bluetooth enabled if you’re listening to balanced- which of course requires a wired connection.

If that’s the case, I’d reccomend and ear studio ES100 which lasts 14 hours and has balanced and sounds great and has Bluetooth 5.0 and LDAC, If I’m understanding you correctly. Or just get a Sony Zx300 or wm 1A and use that, of course you don’t get streaming but you get lots of battery life.

Or get the Fiio m6 that has streaming, Bluetooth 5.0 LDAC, sounds great and lasts 13 hours. And use that for flights and active use (as I do). Just sounds like you hate your SR15- but you only get about 6 to 7 hours balanced anyways with such a small dap with a quad core processor. It’s pretty much standard for all the mid tier daps I’ve had except Sony’s and the new Shanling M5s.

Feb 4, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #1,157 of 2,727
In terms of the style of looks, it's thin (from pictures I've seen) got a slant which seems like a vinyl thing to me, like some sort of jagged striking power effect of sound

I have read this sentence several times and unfortunately have not the slightest clue as to what you're talking about.

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #1,158 of 2,727
Where you using the SR15 as a BT reciever? Because unless you meant WiFi I don’t know why you’d have Bluetooth enabled if you’re listening to balanced- which of course requires a wired connection.

If that’s the case, I’d reccomend and ear studio ES100 which lasts 14 hours and has balanced and sounds great and has Bluetooth 5.0 and LDAC, If I’m understanding you correctly. Or just get a Sony Zx300 or wm 1A and use that, of course you don’t get streaming but you get lots of battery life.

Or get the Fiio m6 that has streaming, Bluetooth 5.0 LDAC, sounds great and lasts 13 hours. And use that for flights and active use (as I do). Just sounds like you hate your SR15- but you only get about 6 to 7 hours balanced anyways with such a small dap with a quad core processor. It’s pretty much standard for all the mid tier daps I’ve had except Sony’s and the new Shanling M5s.
I use bluetooth on my SR15 for my android remote control. It is extremely comfortable because the remote control sits on my finger and during the flight I don't have to reach to my headphones in order to fast forward or change tracks which I do all the time.
Thanks for the recommendations but I like the sound of SR15. I owned FiiO M9 which is functionally even better than SR15 but soundwise there is no comparison between them at all. It may sounds that I hate SR15 because actually I love its sound so much that I fear the thought that I'll have to exchange it for something more portable.

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #1,159 of 2,727
I have read this sentence several times and unfortunately have not the slightest clue as to what you're talking about.
I believe that this gentleman attempts to be sarcastic.

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #1,160 of 2,727
I use bluetooth on my SR15 for my android remote control. It is extremely comfortable because the remote control sits on my finger and during the flight I don't have to reach to my headphones in order to fast forward or change tracks which I do all the time.
Thanks for the recommendations but I like the sound of SR15. I owned FiiO M9 which is functionally even better than SR15 but soundwise there is no comparison between them at all. It may sounds that I hate SR15 because actually I love its sound so much that I fear the thought that I'll have to exchange it for something more portable.

Ahh I see :) Yes it does have great sound for sure, I didn’t think about a BT controller, actually that sounds kind of cool. I do know though once you get a sound signature you like it’s hard to comprise. I don’t care as much exercising, working, or using BT headphones. But just sitting and listening for enjoyment or relaxation SR15 is my go to.

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #1,162 of 2,727

Battery life in balanced mode with bluetooth on is abysmal. It barely lasted my last 4 hrs flight couple of days ago, going from 95% to 20%.
so far my anker usb charger is doing well with every device i own.
i've never experienced charging issues however i'd like my player to get less "warm" sometime soon lol its not worrying me as i understand its working so it causes warmth.

but i'd like the battery efficiency to get better :frowning2: im even considering carrying around with me a battery bank.. -sigh-

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #1,163 of 2,727
so far my anker usb charger is doing well with every device i own.
i've never experienced charging issues however i'd like my player to get less "warm" sometime soon lol its not worrying me as i understand its working so it causes warmth.

but i'd like the battery efficiency to get better :frowning2: im even considering carrying around with me a battery bank.. -sigh-

I have the 10000mw Anker bank and it charges the SR15 faster than a Walmart. Ha ha walwart Nice and compact too.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #1,165 of 2,727

Hi all,
I am using a Anker 5-port Quickcharge 3 charger myself, but Anker are using IQ-loading on their ports in their recent chargers, enabling only those power-charging-modes, of which the device is capeable of ... I have no problems till now. But you are right, I would never use a "normal" quickcharger for the SR15! As far as I know, Quickcharge also only gets enabled IF a "signal" is coming back out of the device.

Feb 5, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #1,166 of 2,727
Hi attached some pics. USB output. Display shows "digital USB" but no frequency.
This is what I with most dac only chord it's ok

Attachments

• IMG-20190205-WA0043.jpg
    IMG-20190205-WA0043.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20190205-WA0044.jpg
    IMG-20190205-WA0044.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
Feb 6, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #1,167 of 2,727
I wouldn't tell for 100% that there is no re-sampling involved for the openAPK Tidal. Compared to the stock Tidal app, that openAPK Tidal sounds differently. But let's wait for the official statement, although it's a little bit weird that there is no immediate info about this from AK. That suggests the android re-sampling passthrough is not implemented...

I now have the SR15 and can agree with you. The same goes for Hiby R6 (which claims no SRC is taking place with tidal apk). Sounds slightly off compared to UAPP apk which I trust is bypassing android. However, that's not a direct indication that SRC is really happening. There are other factors that could cause the sound to be 'slightly' off. it's very slight and I don't think I'd pass a blind test :wink: - and I'm not above admitting it's placebo effect.

@a-LeXx @aklwarrior I spoke to our head of development last night. He confirmed that output is at the provider's native sampling rate. There is no conversion or upsampling/downsampling to 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz.

It's good to have this noted. And with that, I hooked up chord mojo via usb out of the SR15 and noted the sample rate of 44.1 (red indication light) was retained using the stock tidal streaming only player that comes with SR15. Unfortunately, when I tried this with the Tidal APK, 88.2khz (yellow light) was showing on the mojo for 44.1 material. Now, that's better than 48 or any variant of 48 (ie 96,192) as it preserves all original samples and interpolates just as many (IOW samples are not getting mangled since it's a 2x exact conversion). For some reason SR15 is performing one round of upsampling, simply doubling the 44.1 frames to 88.2. Fine by me, but I'm a bit puzzled as to why this would be - perhaps it's some requirement for software MQA unfolding and A&K was following spec when certifying this for MQA.... who knows. If enough people are really curious, I'm sure @JasonNYC can find out for us.

I thought that maybe my eyes were deficient and saw yellow (88) when the mojo was really displaying orange (48). But I tested 48 material I own and it surely turned a darker shade into orange with true 48. So, yeah, over USB to mojo via tidal APK, 44.1 material is doubled to 88.2 - there you have it. Just my observation.

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #1,168 of 2,727
inherent harmonic distortions that causes a warmer sound
bingo... everyone reads THD and freaks. it's the 'harmonic' distortion (vs intermodulation distortion) that sounds good to many people and , because the spuriae produced are octave overtones (primarily) of the original frequencies. This is how instruments work. You have a fundamental tone, and many harmonics at various amplitudes that make the sound unique to that instrument. Music is quite literally, made up mostly of harmonics - if the music is made with instruments (acoustic or electric). The argument is that some people don't want additional harmonics (dreaded distortion) added to the original performance.

What I suspect you’re hearing with those 2 particular daps is the warmer sound sig that they possess which would remind you of a vinyl record.
agree

And lastly SR15 isn’t really a warm source although musical so it really doesn’t sound like vinyl imo. But with good mastered material it sounds close to the source and depending on the recording can be really, really great sounding.
I do think it's pretty transparent to the source, but I found it to have some bass warmth overall - not sub or mid bass focused, just nice warm low end a hint above neutral - very enveloping mids, and nice sparkly treble that layers fairly well and is polite (not rolled off, just not harsh). Some of the details aren't resolved as well as with my Hiby R6, but I like the tonality of the SR15 better. It's a really nice sounding DAP for sure. Dare I say it's got just the right amount of harmonic trickery going on (similar to tube emulators)? Dunno, I like it.

Now I'm interested in the new iBasso DX220 cause of the 220 number I mentioned previously about Turntables. I still think a louder sound ratio might go with vinyl-simulation.
Yes! Keep thinking that and remain closed off to learning anything on this forum. That's the spirit!

I didn’t think about a BT controller, actually that sounds kind of cool
yeah, I'm gonna try that!

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #1,170 of 2,727
Is it normal for the SR15 when selecting a song under the artist section. That it will only play songs from that album and not the entire specified artists collection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back