Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Feb 6, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #1,171 of 2,727
Is it normal for the SR15 when selecting a song under the artist section. That it will only play songs from that album and not the entire specified artists collection?

Just hit that symbol to the upper right with 3 lines and the bottom line is an arrow and that will play all the albums of that artist.

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #1,172 of 2,727
I use bluetooth on my SR15 for my android remote control. It is extremely comfortable because the remote control sits on my finger and during the flight I don't have to reach to my headphones in order to fast forward or change tracks which I do all the time.

Can you please tell what controller you are using?

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #1,173 of 2,727
Can you guys spend like 10 minutes to confirm one issue with SR15 for me?
Using Tidal offline, installed via Services, newest APK version. I start playing songs, then come to main menu, turn on Sleep timer to 10 minutes as example and... nothing happens after these 10 min. It simply does not want to turn off on time.
Can you check this? This is potentially a big flaw for me as I like to fall asleep with music. In this scenario - in the morning I got 0% battery :frowning2:

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #1,174 of 2,727
bingo... everyone reads THD and freaks. it's the 'harmonic' distortion (vs intermodulation distortion) that sounds good to many people and , because the spuriae produced are octave overtones (primarily) of the original frequencies. This is how instruments work. You have a fundamental tone, and many harmonics at various amplitudes that make the sound unique to that instrument. Music is quite literally, made up mostly of harmonics - if the music is made with instruments (acoustic or electric). The argument is that some people don't want additional harmonics (dreaded distortion) added to the original performance.

agree

I do think it's pretty transparent to the source, but I found it to have some bass warmth overall - not sub or mid bass focused, just nice warm low end a hint above neutral - very enveloping mids, and nice sparkly treble that layers fairly well and is polite (not rolled off, just not harsh). Some of the details aren't resolved as well as with my Hiby R6, but I like the tonality of the SR15 better. It's a really nice sounding DAP for sure. Dare I say it's got just the right amount of harmonic trickery going on (similar to tube emulators)? Dunno, I like it.

Yes! Keep thinking that and remain closed off to learning anything on this forum. That's the spirit!

yeah, I'm gonna try that!

I’d love to try R6, just because of the dsp effects you can fool with- and I hate to say it but the green colour has me mesmerized. Although I’d probably get red :wink: I don’t think the hi ohm output would mess with any of my equipment. It’s down to 450.00 at music teck

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #1,175 of 2,727
Can you guys spend like 10 minutes to confirm one issue with SR15 for me?
Using Tidal offline, installed via Services, newest APK version. I start playing songs, then come to main menu, turn on Sleep timer to 10 minutes as example and... nothing happens after these 10 min. It simply does not want to turn off on time.
Can you check this? This is potentially a big flaw for me as I like to fall asleep with music. In this scenario - in the morning I got 0% battery :frowning2:

I’m trying it now, how did you install/update tidal over services?

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,176 of 2,727

downloaded newest APK from APKMIRROR (version 2.11.3) and copied to OpenServices directory at SR15 (if I remember name of directory properly). Then it showed under services menu, installed, added my credentials and working. Also with offline, files can be kept at SD card. This feature was one why I bought SR15 over AK380 which I can buy used at very, very good price.
Sleep timer does not work. Now during checking with sleep timer when using built-in app for playback with flac files.

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #1,177 of 2,727
downloaded newest APK from APKMIRROR (version 2.11.3) and copied to OpenServices directory at SR15 (if I remember name of directory properly). Then it showed under services menu, installed, added my credentials and working. Also with offline, files can be kept at SD card. This feature was one why I bought SR15 over AK380 which I can buy used at very, very good price.
Sleep timer does not work. Now during checking with sleep timer when using built-in app for playback with flac files.

Oh duh, I thought you were updating over WiFi, sorry a misunderstanding :wink: This is my first time using tidal offline (tidal noob here) sounds great- one question though? Can I access the tidal offline files through my music? Or do I have to use the tidal app?

Nice feature, because it will save some juice not having WiFi on (tidal offline that is) .

Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,178 of 2,727
Oh duh, I thought you were updating over WiFi, sorry a misunderstanding :wink: This is my first time using tidal offline (tidal noob here) sounds great- one question though? Can I access the tidal offline files through my music? Or do I have to use the tidal app?

Nice feature, because it will save some juice not having WiFi on (tidal offline that is) .

Thanks.
You must use tidal app for this but having offline at SD card is great. Perfect solution for flights for example.

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #1,179 of 2,727
Just hit that symbol to the upper right with 3 lines and the bottom line is an arrow and that will play all the albums of that artist.
i'll give this a try after work :) thanks!

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #1,182 of 2,727

OK, so checked with 10 minutes sleep timer in general settings in main AK app and with using this app for playback. What it does is just pause the playback after 10 minutes but does not turn off device.
Manual says:
Screen Timer: Music playback will stop and the device will turn off after the selected amount of time

And this is not true. Not working like this. Its a bug.
With tidal not even making a pause.

I have checked 2 options - 10 minutes in sleep timer AND 10 minutes in Auto-Power off. During this Tidal APK was already playing some music.
No reaction at all after 10 minutes - still playing Tidal.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #1,183 of 2,727
OK, so checked with 10 minutes sleep timer in general settings in main AK app and with using this app for playback. What it does is just pause the playback after 10 minutes but does not turn off device.
Manual says:
Screen Timer: Music playback will stop and the device will turn off after the selected amount of time

And this is not true. Not working like this. Its a bug.
With tidal not even making a pause.

I have checked 2 options - 10 minutes in sleep timer AND 10 minutes in Auto-Power off. During this Tidal APK was already playing some music.
No reaction at all after 10 minutes - still playing Tidal.

Yes a definite bug I would think, but at least if the music stops and your screen goes dark well the standby is pretty go on the SR15. I guess there’s no timers in the tidal app itself.

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,184 of 2,727
Can you please tell what controller you are using?
This one: https://amzn.to/2Th1Nkt
You can see it on the bottom of my profile picture.
It's not available now but you got the idea. I bought it for £2. It's rechargeable via micro USB.
The directional pad can do next/previous track and fast forward/rewind into a track. X/A buttons are volume up/down. Start button is play/pause. Y button is back. The select button activates mouse. I bet you didn't know your SR15 has a mouse.
Alternatively you can buy the Astell&Kern RM01 for $179. It's not rechargeable. https://bit.ly/2MTzZRc

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #1,185 of 2,727
This one: https://amzn.to/2Th1Nkt
You can see it on the bottom of my profile picture.
It's not available now but you got the idea. I bought it for £2. It's rechargeable via micro USB.
The directional pad can do next/previous track and fast forward/rewind into a track. X/A buttons are volume up/down. Start button is play/pause. Y button is back. The select button activates mouse. I bet you didn't know your SR15 has a mouse.
Alternatively you can buy the Astell&Kern RM01 for $179. It's not rechargeable. https://bit.ly/2MTzZRc

Man this is amazing :). Just grabbed one from my kids as they got almost same. Connected and voila - its working!!! :)
pilot.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back