Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Dec 31, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #736 of 2,727
I’m enjoying my new rig(Norma with se 535s).
Would I benefit from changing the cord? Would a balanced cord be a big upgrade. Anyone have a suggestion for a better cord.

So far I think this setup checks all of my boxes. Very pocketable, easy to use, iems offer great passive noise cancellation. Just wish there was a bit more base. I’m open to iem tip suggestions as well!

I was using my 535's when I initially got a my SR15 and also felt there was a lack of bass. I got a Fiio LC-2.5C balanced cable and it didn't make much difference to the bass - makes everything louder though! I ended up biting the bullet and getting a [air of SE 846's. An expensive solution but it worked - they are superb.

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #738 of 2,727
Interesting. I no longer have the packaging, might be impossible to refund. I am thinking of selling them and raising budget to around $1K.

I’m bummed that these are not living up to my expectations!

SE 846 are excellent the bass/everything is much better than the 535’s and the AK t8ie’s are superb on bass also. Of course they are both more expensive, but would be under your new budget :wink: and both go on sale once in a blue moon.

I think good headphones/iems are the most important part of the audio chain. Although with the better iems you can really tell when a dap has a good quiet quality amp section like the SR15.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #739 of 2,727
SE 846 are excellent the bass/everything is much better than the 535’s and the AK t8ie’s are superb on bass also. Of course they are both more expensive, but would be under your new budget :wink: and both go on sale once in a blue moon.

I think good headphones/iems are the most important part of the audio chain. Although with the better iems you can really tell when a dap has a good quiet quality amp section like the SR15.

I agree, the 535 are the best at their price range, but 846 are superb! You really get the most out of the SR15 with these IEM’s.

Dec 31, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #742 of 2,727
I don’t know why most of you didn’t get bass with SR15 and 535 (?) I got plenty defined bass after SR15 breaking in.

I do too, I Shirley can’t complain about bass response. :) But there are warmer/bassier daps out there and of course some have pretty good dsp efffects that really enhance the bass- Sony, Cowon to name 2 and Magic 8 ball from Hiby.

But there are also leaner daps out there on bass response, and I think the SR15 keeps great detail and dynamics but still sounds musical, not analytical. A very sweet spot to my ears and I can see why AK doesn’t add dsp or filters to play with.

Of course headphones used matter and with iems tips and seal matter for best bass response.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #743 of 2,727
I do too, I Shirley can’t complain about bass response. :) But there are warmer/bassier daps out there and of course some have pretty good dsp efffects that really enhance the bass- Sony, Cowon to name 2 and Magic 8 ball from Hiby.

But there are also leaner daps out there on bass response, and I think the SR15 keeps great detail and dynamics but still sounds musical, not analytical. A very sweet spot to my ears and I can see why AK doesn’t add dsp or filters to play with.

Of course headphones used matter and with iems tips and seal matter for best bass response.

Couldn’t agree more. :smile_phones:

Jan 1, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #745 of 2,727
I am having a hard time sliding down the top menu when my SR15 is in its leather case. The thin piece of leather at the top of the screen prevents my finger from touching the very top part of the screen. As a result, the top menu does not appear when I slide down my finger. Am I the only one? solution?

Jan 1, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #746 of 2,727
I am having a hard time sliding down the top menu when my SR15 is in its leather case. The thin piece of leather at the top of the screen prevents my finger from touching the very top part of the screen. As a result, the top menu does not appear when I slide down my finger. Am I the only one? solution?

Nope me too, and I’m just bearing with it. I tried pushing it down in the case as much as possible.

Jan 1, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #750 of 2,727
Looking forward to hearing the newer AK players. I am enjoying my new AK240 but I imagine the new ones are a step up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back