Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Nov 28, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #376 of 2,727
I was very satisfied with the sound from my Senn HD650's at 300 ohm - from the 3.5mm output. I thought the Norma was very good with these headphones......my experience only.

Nov 29, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #379 of 2,727
We've easily driven 300 ohm headphones with the SR15. We would recommend using the balanced output for those since it has twice the power output of the 3.5mm. The DT1990 Pro are 250 ohms, so it should not be an issue driving them.
On the 3.5 or balanced? Dt1990 pros arent balanced :'( but this is fantastic news. Im crying having to use my mobile. I miss having a dap! Ordering the SR15 today :)

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #382 of 2,727
I mean, i dont have anything thats balanced yet. but eventually when i get a pair of Audeze phones or Mrspeakers i'll have something balanced.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #383 of 2,727
I was very satisfied with the sound from my Senn HD650's at 300 ohm - from the 3.5mm output. I thought the Norma was very good with these headphones......my experience only.
I see in your sig you also had the FiiO X5 III i sold mine yesterday, but ive had it for a year and know the sound quite well as i used it daily for transit to work and school.
how would you say the norma compares sonically? i'll be using my B&O H6 Gen 2 and B&W P7, and eventually i might buy a H9i wireless or the sony 1000XM3.
I have my DT1990 Pros that are 250 ohm. easier to drive than the 650's but around the same ball-park. what volume do you run on the SR15 when using the 650?

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #384 of 2,727
I see in your sig you also had the FiiO X5 III i sold mine yesterday, but ive had it for a year and know the sound quite well as i used it daily for transit to work and school.
how would you say the norma compares sonically? i'll be using my B&O H6 Gen 2 and B&W P7, and eventually i might buy a H9i wireless or the sony 1000XM3.
I have my DT1990 Pros that are 250 ohm. easier to drive than the 650's but around the same ball-park. what volume do you run on the SR15 when using the 650?

I didn't have them at the same time - sold the X5iii to buy the Norma - from memory - the Norma seems to me to be a significant jump in fidelity - I'm inadequate at articulating exactly what that means - but I was very happily surprised at the increase in Sound Quality. And this is with the 3.5mm output. I haven't decided yet about re-terminating my Therium cable for my 64Audio A6t's to balanced......Trevor at Norne Audio has offered to do it.....people have posted that the 2.5mm sockets often break.....then I would have to have an adapter from 2.5mm to 3.5mm anytime I wanted to use the A6t's for another device (not a huge deal, I have one that Trevor gave me). I was intrigued when another user said that his experience with balanced vs single ended on the Norma was more than just volume - that there was an increase in presence, space, staging. So I may have that done eventually.

Regarding Volume on the Norma with the 650's - I had posted this several pages back:

That is not mean at all :) Completely legitimate question - the Utopia is extremely easy to drive......so, I just hooked up my Senn HD650's, and I'm happy to report that - IMO - they drive these headphones perfectly fine. Now - I'm at 132/150 with a high res file - Sasha's 'Refracted Live', and the Norma is giving the HD650's a workout - especially with the low bass. Again....I'd be completely satisfied with this sound - others may contradict this vehemently - just relaying my experience.

The player is warm.....not any more than the FiiO at times. It certainly doesn't bother me or freak me out.

After typing that - I had reduced the volume to about 115/150 and was very satisfied with the sound. I think you are going to be very happy with the sound improvement.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #385 of 2,727
I didn't have them at the same time - sold the X5iii to buy the Norma - from memory - the Norma seems to me to be a significant jump in fidelity - I'm inadequate at articulating exactly what that means - but I was very happily surprised at the increase in Sound Quality. And this is with the 3.5mm output. I haven't decided yet about re-terminating my Therium cable for my 64Audio A6t's to balanced......Trevor at Norne Audio has offered to do it.....people have posted that the 2.5mm sockets often break.....then I would have to have an adapter from 2.5mm to 3.5mm anytime I wanted to use the A6t's for another device (not a huge deal, I have one that Trevor gave me). I was intrigued when another user said that his experience with balanced vs single ended on the Norma was more than just volume - that there was an increase in presence, space, staging. So I may have that done eventually.

Regarding Volume on the Norma with the 650's - I had posted this several pages back:

That is not mean at all :) Completely legitimate question - the Utopia is extremely easy to drive......so, I just hooked up my Senn HD650's, and I'm happy to report that - IMO - they drive these headphones perfectly fine. Now - I'm at 132/150 with a high res file - Sasha's 'Refracted Live', and the Norma is giving the HD650's a workout - especially with the low bass. Again....I'd be completely satisfied with this sound - others may contradict this vehemently - just relaying my experience.

The player is warm.....not any more than the FiiO at times. It certainly doesn't bother me or freak me out.

After typing that - I had reduced the volume to about 115/150 and was very satisfied with the sound. I think you are going to be very happy with the sound improvement.
I super apriciate this feedback, I think with everyone help here in the Astell & kern thread for the SR15. you've all given me so much info and helpped me and had to deal with my questions and sometimes forgetfulness hahah.
I'm going to the store today after work to place an order for the SR15 :) im so excited to buy an A&K player. this will be my first one from the brand and hopefully not my last if quality lasts and remains awesome with no issues in both hardware + software.

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #387 of 2,727
I can corroborate the same. Last month I was able to compare the FIIO X5 III with the SR15 and the difference is very big in terms of sound. That DAP plays in another league!!

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #388 of 2,727
FYI, I still own FiiO X5III and remember its sound. To my ears SR15 has its SQ much clearer and dynamic than X5III. Therefore, I am very surprised after listening to SR15 yesterday. :smile_phones:
thats something i've noticed also, ive tried other DAPs and the FiiO X5 III sounds good but... it lacked some things here and there. wasnt bright enough, wasnt punchy enough in bass. i felt the bass was very thin and not dynamic. i hope the SR15 bass is better :)

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #389 of 2,727
thats something i've noticed also, ive tried other DAPs and the FiiO X5 III sounds good but... it lacked some things here and there. wasnt bright enough, wasnt punchy enough in bass. i felt the bass was very thin and not dynamic. i hope the SR15 bass is better :)

SR15 has very good defined bass (I was listening with Shure SE535 and custom balanced 2.5and will try EA Ares II 4wire with Massdrop Noble X UIEMs). Whereas X5III bass is muddy.

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #390 of 2,727
On the 3.5 or balanced? Dt1990 pros arent balanced :'( but this is fantastic news. Im crying having to use my mobile. I miss having a dap! Ordering the SR15 today :)
Sorry for the delay in response. Yes, we've used 3.5 without issue. It all depends also on how loud you like to listen.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back