Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jan 5, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #2,641 of 2,727
New SR15 owner here, as much as i love the device, the battery drains way too fast..
Any workaround from users here?
Maybe a replacement battery that improves the overall capacity?
I looked for one but couldn't find, does someone have the reference of the SR15 battery?

Edit : I've found one here :https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003342532383.html

I'm just observing that SR15 and SR25 share the same battery : 3,150mAh 3.7V Li-Polymer Battery
And despite being bigger, SR25 has twice the battery life than SR15, does that mean that the battery issue of the SR15 is firmware related?
Have someone noticed a battery improvement with the last SR15 firmware (released in June 2021 - V1.63)?

Thank you all!
The SR15 has always been advertised as having an 8 - 10 hour battery life since it was first released in May 2018. The SR25 and SR25 MKII which are the updated versions of the SR15 (released in 2020 and 2021) have 20+ hour battery life mainly due to a more energy efficient quad-core CPU that became available 2 years after the SR15 release. The SR25 and SR25 MK II are also using a number of other power-optimized hardware and software components including a newer version of Android OS which manages battery life better.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 6, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #2,642 of 2,727
The SR15 has always been advertised as having an 8 - 10 hour battery life since it was first released in May 2018. The SR25 and SR25 MKII which are the updated versions of the SR15 (released in 2020 and 2021) have 20+ hour battery life mainly due to a more energy efficient quad-core CPU that became available 2 years after the SR15 release. The SR25 and SR25 MK II are also using a number of other power-optimized hardware and software components including a newer version of Android OS which manages battery life better.
Thanks, is there anyway the software improvements could be passed to the SR15?

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #2,643 of 2,727
@JasonNYC

With the increasing number of apps that are no longer supporting Android 5 (Tidal, SiriusXM, Qobuz - in Feb, etc) does A&K plan to update the multiple players that are still using Lollipop as the Android version? I know you have used later versions in the newer players. Or are we out of luck and obsolete?

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #2,644 of 2,727
Hello all, i need to unravel a mystery on my newly acquired SR15.

I have a Beoplay P6 speaker that only streams music through Bluetooth and USB-c (meaning no jack port).
When connected to an iMac, i can seamlessly stream through USB-C by selecting "Beoplay P6" on the iMac audio settings, i then tried with my SR15 that is supposed to support "USB Audio output" through OTG, but nothing happens.
I'm using this cable :
https://www.amazon.fr/Connexion-Cha...ro+usb+otg+type+c&qid=1641035842&sr=8-11&th=1

What am i missing?

Thank you all for your help, i've bought this player mainly for this reason..

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #2,647 of 2,727
Some news from Bang & Olufsen here, here is their kind answer :

"(...) We have no way to impact this as the speaker is plug and play, as you saw pretty much from your iMac. (...) The only suggestion I could provide here for a resolution would be to check with Astell & Kern if the DAP in question can provide a Windows-like connection, if you haven't check already of course, to the P6 as that would work around the limitation in place."

I just answered them asking what a "windows-like connection" means. Does someone understand that last part as this contains the solution according to them?

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #2,648 of 2,727
I might be wrong, but i guess that usb out functions in DAPs works if usb device has his own DAC and amplifier.
The player should recognise another DAC and the sound will come from the source connected through USB. I've tried to connect regular type C-3.5 mm adapter to dap and the sound didn't work, but with a simple dongle with integrated DAC, the sound came from dongle and the player recognised another device connected through USB.
I performed this test on my SR25, but I pretty sure than on SR15 is the same.

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #2,649 of 2,727
I might be wrong, but i guess that usb out functions in DAPs works if usb device has his own DAC and amplifier.
The player should recognise another DAC and the sound will come from the source connected through USB. I've tried to connect regular type C-3.5 mm adapter to dap and the sound didn't work, but with a simple dongle with integrated DAC, the sound came from dongle and the player recognised another device connected through USB.
I performed this test on my SR25, but I pretty sure than on SR15 is the same.
That's interesting..
What kind of device did you try to connect your SR25 to?
A Bluetooth speaker from my understanding has its own DAC, maybe a good Android App that detects USB devices would work,
but i don't even know if i can install it on the SR15..
A DAC dongle might be an interesting solution but it outputs "Analog signal" while the Beoplay P6 only takes signal from USB-C meaning digital signal.
Edit : I'm not sure about this last sentence, i'm asking the Band & Olufsen team right now if the speaker supports Analog signals through USB-C or if it's digital only.
If Analog is supported, then a Jack/USB-C cable should work..

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #2,650 of 2,727
I have a 4.4 mm balanced IEM cable (Oriolus Isabellae) and have a 4.4 -> 2.5mm balanced cable but the connection is flakey - the right channel keeps dipping out
Probably just a dimensions things - anyone know of a 4.4mm -> 2.5 balanced adapter that works well on a SR15

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #2,652 of 2,727
@N.Mendes, try to check if "External USB" button in Notification Panel of SR15 changes its color, when you plug your speaker to SR15 via USB.
Try to press it.

From SR15's user guide:
"How to Connect a Portable USB DAC
1. Connect the portable USB DAC to the AK device’s 5-Pin Micro USB port with a dedicated cable.
2. Press "External USB" in the Notification Bar.
3. Once "External USB" is activated, you can enjoy music on the device through the connected portable USB DAC."

Jan 12, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #2,653 of 2,727
@N.Mendes, try to check if "External USB" button in Notification Panel of SR15 changes its color, when you plug your speaker to SR15 via USB.
Try to press it.

From SR15's user guide:
"How to Connect a Portable USB DAC
1. Connect the portable USB DAC to the AK device’s 5-Pin Micro USB port with a dedicated cable.
2. Press "External USB" in the Notification Bar.
3. Once "External USB" is activated, you can enjoy music on the device through the connected portable USB DAC."

Maybe go to Settings, USB mode rather than the pull-down. Just a suggestion, it may not help.

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #2,654 of 2,727
@rlw6534 , no, if I understand correctly, 2 options in Settings --> USB Mode are not related here. They define, how SR15 will be used when connected to PC via USB cable:
- Media Device - SR15 will be used as a disk drive (in order to modify music library);
- DAC Input - SR15 will be used as an External DAC with PC as a transport.

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #2,655 of 2,727
@rlw6534 , no, if I understand correctly, 2 options in Settings --> USB Mode are not related here. They define, how SR15 will be used when connected to PC via USB cable:
- Media Device - SR15 will be used as a disk drive (in order to modify music library);
- DAC Input - SR15 will be used as an External DAC with PC as a transport.

Got it. I wasn't sure exactly how that worked. Seems that I remember the pulldown being a bit flakey at times. I have never tried to use an external DAC, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back