Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Aug 9, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #2,626 of 2,727
Is SR15 still in the list of Roon Ready Program?

@JasonNYC

Now that Roon Ready support is rolling out on more models, where does the SR15 fall on the priority list? It was one of the models originally promised to get support.

It's been very enjoyable listening to Roon on my SP1000M through my desktop rig, but I also still use my SR15 due to it's small size and portability. Please don't leave it out of the plan.

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,627 of 2,727
Hi all.
Wanted to see if I was alone in this:

I continue to notice a tangible difference in sound quality between the Amazon Music HD app and Apple Music.

Comparison:

Amazon HD : more “air” fuller dynamics and holographic feel to the tunes. This is 16/44.1 sampling and not hi-res.

Apple: thinner, grainier and louder, almost a brick walled feel.

Was wondering if this is related to the lack of Apple to employ bit-perfect playback rumours that have been going around.

Is the SR15 subject to the same bypass effect of the other users on Android platforms?

If so, I hope this gets resolved as I love the Amazon HD selection but the app is bordering on unusable territory, sometimes. Due to its laggy nature.

Should note: I continue to love and be in awe of the SQ from this little player. The layering, emotion and PRAT, continue to make me smile.

keeping an eye on the next affordable series of AK players.

Oct 22, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #2,628 of 2,727
Unusual problem with SR15.

I hadn't used it in a while, turned it on today, and installed the latest software.

Now, whichever way I turn the volume control, the volume starts trending down. Whether I am turning it up, or turning it down, either direction, always going down.

On the screen, I can still hit the plus sign and minus sign to change the volume control, but why is this happening with the knob? Is this an issue with the latest firmware?

Oct 22, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #2,629 of 2,727
Unusual problem with SR15.

I hadn't used it in a while, turned it on today, and installed the latest software.

Now, whichever way I turn the volume control, the volume starts trending down. Whether I am turning it up, or turning it down, either direction, always going down.

On the screen, I can still hit the plus sign and minus sign to change the volume control, but why is this happening with the knob? Is this an issue with the latest firmware?
Try a soft reset. While the player is turned on, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds until the player shuts down. Then press the power button again to restart it.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 10, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #2,631 of 2,727
After last update 212 albums have moved to folder "Unknown artist". Thank you for such "support" of old DAP. What am I supposed to do now? Manually edit tags?

Update: soft reset has helped.

Attachments

• IMG_20211110_102417.jpg
    IMG_20211110_102417.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211110_102426.jpg
    IMG_20211110_102426.jpg
  • IMG_20211110_102431.jpg
    IMG_20211110_102431.jpg
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #2,634 of 2,727
@JasonNYC

Now that Roon Ready support is rolling out on more models, where does the SR15 fall on the priority list? It was one of the models originally promised to get support.

It's been very enjoyable listening to Roon on my SP1000M through my desktop rig, but I also still use my SR15 due to it's small size and portability. Please don't leave it out of the plan.

@JasonNYC

Any progress on this?

Jan 4, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #2,635 of 2,727
New SR15 owner here, as much as i love the device, the battery drains way too fast..
Any workaround from users here?
Maybe a replacement battery that improves the overall capacity?
I looked for one but couldn't find, does someone have the reference of the SR15 battery?

Edit : I've found one here :https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003342532383.html

I'm just observing that SR15 and SR25 share the same battery : 3,150mAh 3.7V Li-Polymer Battery
And despite being bigger, SR25 has twice the battery life than SR15, does that mean that the battery issue of the SR15 is firmware related?
Have someone noticed a battery improvement with the last SR15 firmware (released in June 2021 - V1.63)?

Thank you all!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #2,636 of 2,727
New SR15 owner here, as much as i love the device, the battery drains way too fast..
Any workaround from users here?
Maybe a replacement battery that improves the overall capacity?
I looked for one but couldn't find, does someone have the reference of the SR15 battery?

Edit : I've found one here :https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003342532383.html

I'm just observing that SR15 and SR25 share the same battery : 3,150mAh 3.7V Li-Polymer Battery
And despite being bigger, SR25 has twice the battery life than SR15, does that mean that the battery issue of the SR15 is firmware related?
Have someone noticed a battery improvement with the last SR15 firmware (released in June 2021 - V1.63)?

Thank you all!
I raised this 18 months ago and the answer was there’s nothing can be done, the battery on mine is awful and it really does detract from my enjoyment of the performance of the device. You can’t use it if it’s plugged in and charging as it gets incredibly hot so not much use for sustained periods of use. I hope there may be better news this time.

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #2,637 of 2,727
I raised this 18 months ago and the answer was there’s nothing can be done, the battery on mine is awful and it really does detract from my enjoyment of the performance of the device. You can’t use it if it’s plugged in and charging as it gets incredibly hot so not much use for sustained periods of use. I hope there may be better news this time.
I wish i knew this before buying it.. Thank you,

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #2,639 of 2,727
Battery really is the biggest of the device's few flaws.

I get 6-8 hours out of mine, mixed use of local FLAC with wifi off and Qobuz. I wish it was better but it's still a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the size compared to the sound of the thing. I really wish A&K offered a more modern DAP this small, it seems like the market made a huge leap in battery life just shortly after the SR15 was released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back