Astell&Kern SA700 - Past meets Present
May 27, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #586 of 705
SA700 still on 1.25 and no update available notification in settings.
I was just told the rollout for the SA700 update was paused. It should be available again in the next few days. I will share additional info once I have it.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 2, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #588 of 705
Jun 3, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #589 of 705
I decided to try the two AK whitelisted apk apps that feature internet radio stations—MyTuner and TuneIn—to see how the experience was listening to my favorite station, Radio Paradise in Northern CA (there are a few apps with the same name). MyTuner is an ad based station which looks horrible, and there’s no way to select the higher quality streams offered by RP. TuneIn is better with stream choice (although not lossless which is available in the native RP app), and it too is ad based but for some reason, RP plays with no ads while a few of the other stations I tried play with ads.

Given the end of life status of the SA700 (it is now listed on AK’s site in the “Other” category along with other discontinued models), I’m happy I can use my SA700 to play RP even at 320kbps.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #590 of 705
I decided to try the two AK whitelisted apk apps that feature internet radio stations—MyTuner and TuneIn—to see how the experience was listening to my favorite station, Radio Paradise in Northern CA (there are a few apps with the same name). MyTuner is an ad based station which looks horrible, and there’s no way to select the higher quality streams offered by RP. TuneIn is better with stream choice (although not lossless which is available in the native RP app), and it too is ad based but for some reason, RP plays with no ads while a few of the other stations I tried play with ads.

Given the end of life status of the SA700 (it is now listed on AK’s site in the “Other” category along with other discontinued models), I’m happy I can use my SA700 to play RP even at 320kbps.
It has always been at Other category since it does not go under Norma, Futura or Ultima.

If it is end of life, there will not be any firmware updates.

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #591 of 705
It has always been at Other category since it does not go under Norma, Futura or Ultima.

If it is end of life, there will not be any firmware updates.

Has it, I hadn’t noticed. I still think it is going away since typically whenever a special finish option is released—in the SA700 case the new gold finish—that’s an indicator of end of life. The SA700 is my fifth AK dap, so my presumption about this is from 8 years of using AK daps.

Regarding future firmware, you may be right. ✌️

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #592 of 705
Just want to check if installing XAPK Tidal is supposed to work or not. Been months since I tried sideloading but I got a parsing error so not working.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #593 of 705
Just want to check if installing XAPK Tidal is supposed to work or not. Been months since I tried sideloading but I got a parsing error so not working.

Usually a parsing error means that you are trying to install the incorrect version (arm64-v8a vs armeabi-v7a). I believe the SA700 needs the armeabi-v7a version.

Edit for future reference:

Also need to use version 2.31 or earlier (due to Android 5).

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #594 of 705
Usually a parsing error means that you are trying to install the incorrect version (arm64-v8a vs armeabi-v7a). I believe the SA700 needs the armeabi-v7a version.
Thank you very much, rlw6534. Will try that one. Edit: same error hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #595 of 705
Tidal v2.31.0 is the most updated version that I managed to install on SA700. All later versions have the parsing error.
Spotify installation for latest version has no problems.

@JasonNYC can this be corrected?

Jun 5, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #596 of 705
Tidal v2.31.0 is the most updated version that I managed to install on SA700. All later versions have the parsing error.
Spotify installation for latest version has no problems.

@JasonNYC can this be corrected?

2.31 is the last version that supports Android 5. All newer versions require Android 6 or later. I should have mentioned that in the previous comment.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #597 of 705

Maybe you need version 2.31? Sorry my advise wasn't thorough and didn't help.... :sunglasses:

Jun 5, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #598 of 705
Maybe you need version 2.31? Sorry my advise wasn't thorough and didn't help.... :sunglasses:
No problem at all :wink: Got 2.31.0 up and running.

Jun 22, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #599 of 705
One of the features I’d like to see on the SA700 is ReplayGain compatibility. All my music files have this data from the Audirvana app on my Mac, and it would be nice to have all my files play at the same volume … not so much a problem with album listening, but when listening to a selection of songs from different albums, a needed upgrade.

There are daps under $400 that have this feature.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #600 of 705
I continue to love the the overall aesthetic design of the SA700, its simple lines and sturdy build are quite excellent, in my view. In fact, I no longer use its case since I like the tactile enjoyment of holding it in my hand, and also being able to operate its controls with one hand. Tonally, the midrange is bumped up a bit, but that’s what eq is for. The rest of the frequency spectrum is clean sounding with little perceived distortion. The bass is a little lighter than I typically like, so a little eq bump in the mid-bass takes care of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back