Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
May 10, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #4,771 of 5,840
Hello
English is not my mother tongue, I apologize hahahaha. The same thing happened to me too. 3 months of use with fast charge without problems (also charge the sp1000, sa700, Kann Alpha without problems) and at the end of the third month the Sp 2000 only worked plugged in and unplugged and turned off. I sent it to technical service (2 months in Korea). He came back on a Friday, I used it, Monday, Tuesday and on Thursday it didn't turn on anymore. I mean, not even plugged in, it didn't turn on, it was worse than before. I sent it back to technical service, I think it will arrive in another month. Disappointed to only use it 3 months and have the same fault. The only good thing is that I don't feel so alone.
Sorry to hear this had happened to you too. This issue remind me of my ordeal with my purchase as well. I bought the sp2000 new and it failed after only 1 month of usage (battery charging not working and can only use it while plugging in to the charger). There was no way to contact A&K and the authorized dealer do not want to take responsibility, so I had no choice but to send it back to Korea for repair thru the dealer. It took 3 months to come back. It was working again but I noticed there was a chip on one side of the player near the screen. I took a photo of the unit before sending it in, which was in pristine condition since it’s only 1 month old. There is no screw on the sp2000, so I suspect they have to open up the screen to repair the unit and in the process damaged one side of the corners. Obviously I was not happy but what can I do as they don’t want to replace the unit. In the end I had to trade in the 1-month old sp2000 at a loss. Needless to say, that was my last A&K purchase after having owned 5 A&K products in the past. Sorry, no more A&K for me again after this unpleasant experience.

May 10, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #4,772 of 5,840
Seems like encouraging impressions after just becoming an owner myself lol.

Anyways. Does anyone own aftermarket case that makes it easier to locate playback buttons in a pocket and Ideally also protects entire dap. Cheers

May 10, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #4,773 of 5,840
May 10, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #4,774 of 5,840
Sorry to hear this had happened to you too. This issue remind me of my ordeal with my purchase as well. I bought the sp2000 new and it failed after only 1 month of usage (battery charging not working and can only use it while plugging in to the charger). There was no way to contact A&K and the authorized dealer do not want to take responsibility, so I had no choice but to send it back to Korea for repair thru the dealer. It took 3 months to come back. It was working again but I noticed there was a chip on one side of the player near the screen. I took a photo of the unit before sending it in, which was in pristine condition since it’s only 1 month old. There is no screw on the sp2000, so I suspect they have to open up the screen to repair the unit and in the process damaged one side of the corners. Obviously I was not happy but what can I do as they don’t want to replace the unit. In the end I had to trade in the 1-month old sp2000 at a loss. Needless to say, that was my last A&K purchase after having owned 5 A&K products in the past. Sorry, no more A&K for me again after this unpleasant experience.
It shows how important good dealers are. Mine was changed for new before I even returned my damaged unit.
So from my view it was a good experience and, accepting you can have problems, I will likely continue buying AK. But as your experience shows poor dealers can destroy brand loyalty.

May 10, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #4,775 of 5,840
May 10, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #4,776 of 5,840
Ahh thanks i ordered this one yesterday i can see its got buttons protruding. Thanks a lot.

Was wandering if Dignis has anything a bit more premium out of leather and how are impressions about it.
I also ordered a leather case (non-Dignis) through aliexpress and it was quite nice, although less premium.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000719768085.html

It protected the top area better than the standard leather case. But I ended up using the TPU case the most. I think the volume wheel was less accessible with this leather case, but I'm not sure I remember that correctly.

EDIT: just saw this one in the classifieds. But it's down under.. https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/dignis-stella-sp2000-case.2149/

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #4,777 of 5,840
I also ordered a leather case (non-Dignis) through aliexpress and it was quite nice, although less premium.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000719768085.html

It protected the top area better than the standard leather case. But I ended up using the TPU case the most. I think the volume wheel was less accessible with this leather case, but I'm not sure I remember that correctly.

EDIT: just saw this one in the classifieds. But it's down under.. https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/dignis-stella-sp2000-case.2149/

Oh these look nice. Can you feel the side buttons easily though? I cant feel a thing when its in a pocket lol.

May 10, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #4,778 of 5,840
Oh these look nice. Can you feel the side buttons easily though? I cant feel a thing when its in a pocket lol.
I don't think it was that great in that respect, the TPU case was better for that. (But IMHO the SP2k is too heavy to put into a pocket and walk around with anyway... :wink: )

Some other folks will hopefully know a better leather case. Good luck.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #4,779 of 5,840
It shows how important good dealers are. Mine was changed for new before I even returned my damaged unit.
So from my view it was a good experience and, accepting you can have problems, I will likely continue buying AK. But as your experience shows poor dealers can destroy brand loyalty.
I agree with you about good dealers but not all of us are so lucky. Dealers are representatives of A&K and when we can’t even contact A&K and A&K don’t response to emails, what option do we have for such cases? Anyway, just sharing my experience and thoughts. Best of luck and enjoy your AK.

May 10, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #4,780 of 5,840
T
I don't think is was that great in that respect, the TPU case was better for that. (But IMHO the SP2k is too heavy to put into a pocket and walk around with anyway... :wink: )

Some other folks will hopefully know a better leather case. Good luck.
Thanks for help!

As for portability i was dragging R8 everywhere even went for running few times.
400g is 400g. only see issue if you wear pijama haha. I do understand its not for everyone.
Size wise however its godsent in comparison. And also volume know is not up my arse like on R8. So its as pocket friendly as it gets in my book.

May 10, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #4,781 of 5,840

I found the side buttons unusable in the leather case and simply resigned myself to not using them at all. Recently received a clear TPU case and have been using the side buttons (while the player is in my pocket) non-stop since. I love the look of leather cases but with this player and the way those side buttons are designed, TPU is the way to go for a good user experience.

May 10, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #4,782 of 5,840
I found the side buttons unusable in the leather case and simply resigned myself to not using them at all. Recently received a clear TPU case and have been using the side buttons (while the player is in my pocket) non-stop since. I love the look of leather cases but with this player and the way those side buttons are designed, TPU is the way to go for a good user experience.
I think the same, that's the way, apart it looks nice hahahaha

May 11, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #4,785 of 5,840
It is a great unit, in so many facets. SQ is most certainly noticable, especially when A/B ing. Size is reasonable, weight is substantial in hand. It is polished and refined, much more than it's Chinese counterparts. I have had my SS unit for quite sometime and have probably cycled 4-5 other DAPs during owning the SP2K. Next level.

Edit: I have the Dignis case that fully protects the unit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• nver
Back