Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
May 11, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #4,786 of 5,840
Quick update on firmware for embedded Tidal app.

Still on target for this month, but I still do not have a concrete release date. I was told last night there would be more info at the end of the week.

The following 13 models will receive firmware updates to fix the embedded Tidal issue in May:

SP2000, SP1000, SP1000M, SE200, SE180, SE100, KANN ALPHA, SR25, SA700, KANN CUBE, SR15, ACTIVO CT15, ACTIVO CT10.

The AK Connect app for iOS and Android will also be updated to fix the embedded Tidal issue. The updated apps will be available in the Apple and Google app stores after the player updates.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 12, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #4,787 of 5,840
Thanks for the update Jason!

Sorry for asking again but what about Deezer embedded app please?

Other question : will the SP2000 get at some point an update with the revamped user interface (the new navigation bar - or the lower screen resolution of the 2K doesn't allow it?) and AK File Drop that come with the SE180?

May 13, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #4,788 of 5,840
Got a few days ago my new SP2000 and have two questions:
- As DLNA client the SP2000 will not play gapless (like the SR25). Is there a known workaround or a firmware upgrade in the pipeline?
- Because the problem above, I'm using the SP2000 primarly as Roon endpoint.
I'm able to navigate from the Roon GUI to the home screen with the home button. But is there also a way back to the Roon GUI without start restart the playing?

May 14, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #4,789 of 5,840
It looks like Apple's Lossless/Hi-Fi offering is almost a certainty at this point. With some of the more recent versions of Apple Music for Android not working properly on AK players I really hope that new app versions (likely a requirement to access those new tiers) will be functional.

May 14, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #4,790 of 5,840
It looks like Apple's Lossless/Hi-Fi offering is almost a certainty at this point. With some of the more recent versions of Apple Music for Android not working properly on AK players I really hope that new app versions (likely a requirement to access those new tiers) will be functional.
Here’s hoping!

May 15, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #4,791 of 5,840
Which version of Apple Music are you currently running? Does it run stable on your A&K?

May 16, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #4,792 of 5,840
Quick update on firmware for embedded Tidal app.

Still on target for this month, but I still do not have a concrete release date. I was told last night there would be more info at the end of the week.

The following 13 models will receive firmware updates to fix the embedded Tidal issue in May:

SP2000, SP1000, SP1000M, SE200, SE180, SE100, KANN ALPHA, SR25, SA700, KANN CUBE, SR15, ACTIVO CT15, ACTIVO CT10.

The AK Connect app for iOS and Android will also be updated to fix the embedded Tidal issue. The updated apps will be available in the Apple and Google app stores after the player updates.
Will KANN owners be able to use the connect app to update their devices or are we SOL?

May 18, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #4,796 of 5,840
May 18, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #4,797 of 5,840
May 18, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #4,798 of 5,840
Good question. I am now moving to Apple Music as my only streaming service and of course want to use AM Lossless.

Unfortunately A&K only supports a very old version (3.3.2 from July, nearly 1 year old). For me Apple Music crashes constantly anyway on my SE200.

Does it run fine on your SE200 / SP2000?

Not at all, I am afraid. Not even the Kann Alpha. Ironically, the latest version on Playstore runs nicely on the iBasso DX300 and the Shanling M8. Well, it is definitely the end of the road for me and AK. It was good while it lasted. :)

May 18, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #4,799 of 5,840
Not at all, I am afraid. Not even the Kann Alpha. Ironically, the latest version on Playstore runs nicely on the iBasso DX300 and the Shanling M8. Well, it is definitely the end of the road for me and AK. It was good while it lasted. :)
Well, I fell sorry for the problems you have but on the other hand I am glad that I am not the only one. @JasonNYC tested Apple Music on his device without problems.

So thanks for your feedback as I had a hard time accepting that I was the only one with this problem. I used my account on multiple devices including an Android phone and an Android DAP (Hiby R8) without any flaws, zero crashes.

Well, that seals the deal for me against A&K, as well. I need streaming as I use it 99% of the time and with the latest changes I will go 100% Apple Music.

May 18, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #4,800 of 5,840
Well, I fell sorry for the problems you have but on the other hand I am glad that I am not the only one. @JasonNYC tested Apple Music on his device without problems.

So thanks for your feedback as I had a hard time accepting that I was the only one with this problem. I used my account on multiple devices including an Android phone and an Android DAP (Hiby R8) without any flaws, zero crashes.

Well, that seals the deal for me against A&K, as well. I need streaming as I use it 99% of the time and with the latest changes I will go 100% Apple Music.

No worries @CharlyBrown . I can play the older versions of Apple Music, just not the recent iterations. Agree with you. Same here. My listening habits have changed in recent years. More lossless streaming for me on DAPs: Tidal, QQ Music, the now defunct Xiami, KK Box. Soon Apple Music too, while we wait for Spotify to get off their back foot. Not sure if Qobuz will ever make it to Asia - they have had the same holding screen for around 3 years now. Amazon Music doesn’t even bother. Perhaps now that Apple Music has stolen a march on them, they may finally be spurred into action or be consigned to history like Nokia, Motorola were in the handphone space.

Anyway, I will say that the Shanling M8 and iBasso DX300 play Apple Music with no issues whatsoever at this point in time. And this is automatically updated since the app was downloaded and installed via the Google PlayStore.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back