Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
May 3, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #4,741 of 5,840
most UNlikely

Well my DD hifi 4.4 to 2.5 dont do that. So there is something triggered with dual jack and the 3.5 grounding thing

I also have the same issue with the SE200. I use the standard pw audio adapter (2.5 and 3.5 to 4.4)

I was just listening to dsd in dsf and my music just stopped at 3/4 of the track. Tried to rewind and play the track again and this time it didn't stop the sound 🧐

Listening to my dsd collection will report if more anomalies occurs

May 3, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #4,742 of 5,840
Interesting.

I use the Effect Audio adapter (by reputation it is perhaps the best adapter on the market for the A&K players).
Sennheiser HD800S via Stock cable 4.4mm into the balanced output of the SP2000.

The laid back, wide soundstage and neutral detail are very, very good for piano/classical. I've only heard better when I was auditioning the DCS Bartok. And the SP2000 is nowhere near as expensive. I didn't think the pairing would be as good as it is. Just missing that low-end richness that the HD800S isn't known for being my only minor gribble.

May 3, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #4,746 of 5,840
I also have the same issue with the SE200. I use the standard pw audio adapter (2.5 and 3.5 to 4.4)
I am using the DDHifi dual port to 4.4 adapter and it works everytime 100%, no matter what I plugin first.

May 3, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #4,747 of 5,840
I am using the DDHifi dual port to 4.4 adapter and it works everytime 100%, no matter what I plugin first.

We are referring to dsf files only. They the one causing this issue

May 3, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #4,749 of 5,840
Interesting... what about if you leave it in there and reboot? I mean, 90% of the time mine works but when it doesn't a re-insertion seems to remedy the issue.
Reboot not so much as unplugging and reinsert. The 3.5m connection must confuse it even though balanced icon shows. Yes, only appears to be dsf files. That is what puzzles me, why not all then.

May 3, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #4,750 of 5,840
Sorry guys, just realized what Tiger said. I am usually not listening to dsf files. I have only a couple for testing. So I will specify and say my DDHifi adapter works 100% for me with Tidal etc.

May 3, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #4,752 of 5,840
I have experienced the issue on all the 2.5mm+3.5mm adapters I tried, even on normal flac files on both sp1000 & sp2000 as well - ddhifi, ea and pw adapters. It only happen randomly which requires re-insertion to remedy it, sometimes need to do it more than once. Hated the anamoly with these adapters. Wished all ak players had both 2.5 and 4.4 ports.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #4,753 of 5,840
I have experienced the issue on all the 2.5mm+3.5mm adapters I tried, even on normal flac files on both sp1000 & sp2000 as well - ddhifi, ea and pw adapters. It only happen randomly which requires re-insertion to remedy it, sometimes need to do it more than once. Hated the anamoly with these adapters.
All AK players shut off the other jack when they recognize one jack being used to prevent noise and interference. My guess is that the 3.5 jack is being recognized as plugged in before the 2.5, so the player shuts off the output to the 2.5mm out. I know the AK 2.5mm/3.5mm to XLR balanced cables we sold did not have the issue. Maybe slight variations to the 2.5mm/3.5mm plugs on the adapters that are causing the issue. I will ask our hardware team.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 4, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #4,754 of 5,840
All AK players shut off the other jack when they recognize one jack being used to prevent noise and interference. My guess is that the 3.5 jack is being recognized as plugged in before the 2.5, so the player shuts off the output to the 2.5mm out. I know the AK 2.5mm/3.5mm to XLR balanced cables we sold did not have the issue. Maybe slight variations to the 2.5mm/3.5mm plugs on the adapters that are causing the issue. I will ask our hardware team.
Appears logical but then why does the balanced icon show up? That is the puzzle for me and why only appears to be dsf files for most people?
I can play a flac file then switch to a dsf file and no music. If I unplug it usually plays but balanced icon showing all times and I have been playing music prior to the dsf file.

May 4, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #4,755 of 5,840
The reported problem only happens with the SP2000. This bug was not fixed since the release of SP2000. I have other AK previous players and they do not have this behaviour.

It could actually be this that caused the problem where other AK players do not.
"The SP2000 is the first Astell&Kern player to use separate, independent audio channels between the Unbalanced and Balanced outputs."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back