Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Apr 26, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #4,711 of 5,848
I own the second one (DDHifi). It works perfectly with my SE200 (fits 100%, nothing wiggles etc., very solid) and I am certain it works also with the SP2000. Very decent built, like always with DDHifi. Highly recommended.

I acknowledge the DD hifi quality is top notch but I am so freaking tempted by the EA aka adapter yyyyyyy

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #4,712 of 5,848
I acknowledge the DD hifi quality is top notch but I am so freaking tempted by the EA aka adapter yyyyyyy
To be honest, the EA looks cooler. So, if money doesn’t have to be saved, go for aesthetics :beerchug:

EDIT - but check if it works with your case. The DD works also with A&K stock case with top cover. Just make sure...

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #4,714 of 5,848
I am using this adapter (https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...-4-4mm-balanced-female?variant=31710945116222) and very pleased with it. The only caveat is if you are using the SP2000 Dignis case with the cutout at the top it may impede the full insertion of the adapter plug. The stock case with the top fully exposed will not be an issue. Musicteck also stocks the Effectaudio adapter.
The EffectAudio adapter does look pretty cool and has the angular design of the SP2000. Curious how it sounds compared to the PW and DDHiFI. Would be nice if there is a review comparing all three adapters.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #4,715 of 5,848
The AKA adapter is very well made and uses high quality components. I don’t have any issue with mine other than entry price

Apr 26, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #4,716 of 5,848
I had a very pleasant evening with a friend and this is what happened we had a pile of Aka and 1z among mdr-z1r and tia Fourté 😛😎

In that listening session I had the opportunity to do a live comparison of the 3 devices, sp2000 SS and Cu along side 1z.

I own the copper version and can confirm there is a difference between the 2 and it is quiet apparent.

Comments are welcome 🙂🙃

Attachments

• PXL_20210426_232506775.jpg
    PXL_20210426_232506775.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #4,717 of 5,848
I had a very pleasant evening with a friend and this is what happened we had a pile of Aka and 1z among mdr-z1r and tia Fourté 😛😎

In that listening session I had the opportunity to do a live comparison of the 3 devices, sp2000 SS and Cu along side 1z.

I own the copper version and can confirm there is a difference between the 2 and it is quiet apparent.

Comments are welcome 🙂🙃
Can you shime in on the differences👍🏻

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #4,718 of 5,848

Comments are welcome 🙂🙃
I have the SP2000ss and curious about the differences.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #4,719 of 5,848
I asked Roon support about the DSD and PCM rate restrictions on the SP1000. (DSD 64 and 192khz.)
Below is their reply. They say It is due to bandwidth concerns but was imposed by AK not them:

john john Roon Labs: Support
April 28
Hello @stewart_crowther,

The maximum PCM and DSD rates on the SP1000’s Roon Ready implementation were determined by Astell & Kern after extensive testing. Roon Ready playback traverses the network in a fully uncompressed state (like WAV or raw DSD) which potentially places more stress on the network verses other methods.

-John

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #4,720 of 5,848
I have the SP2000ss and curious about the differences.

Hi mate sorry for the late reply but its better late then none right 🤣😛 just kidding 😎

I own the copper version and my friend had also the copper one until he heard the SS!

You know at first glance both sounds the same but when you really dig deeper and have flagship iems or headphones ohhh you get to hear the difference and its quiet audible you just need small concentration and open mined, let the music talk to you! 🙃

Overall the SS is cleaner more contrasty and sharper imaging. Tighter bass with a slightly faster slam.

It has a cleaner treble with less glaring and zingy peaky treble resonance. I don't know what it is but the copper version has this annoying eeeeky peakyyy squeaky resonance above the treble middle note decay.... In the SS its super clean natural and exactly how it should be!
One solution for this is set a different dac fillter in the copper version for slow roll off butttt then you are losing some resolution in soundstage and that's a big BUMMER!

Bass in SS is faster, tighter but also less hazy and less diffused. Its almost like more precised as in copper its stretched elongated and more fuzzy a little, its bouncy lushy kind of. Its not really something you'll notice until you do a/b directly with both devices on hand!

For vocals which for me I call it the mids hehe, is also a better tuning on the SS, as everything here applies the same way, more cleaner and better elaborated sounding vocals. It has a more normal proper sounding timbre here on ss. In copper its more warmish, slightly thicker and a little less sharpness becoming more cloudy and airy or less dense.

As you can see overall the SS is the 100% more accurate and exact tuning that aka should be.
The copper version derives a little to the softer warmer tuning with a more gentler bass but with a little spike in treble...

Dont be fooled like I was, I thought copper would give more bass and less treble!
WELL GOD DAM lmao its all the other way apparently crap lol now I need to get my self the SS and sell my copper 😱😭

🐅🐾🌿

May 1, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #4,721 of 5,848
Hi everyone after I have compared both aka 2000 I am decided I am keeping my SS version and want to sale the copper!

If anyone is interested please PM me for info about my sp2000 copper!

May 1, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #4,722 of 5,848
Hi mate sorry for the late reply but its better late then none right 🤣😛 just kidding 😎

I own the copper version and my friend had also the copper one until he heard the SS!

You know at first glance both sounds the same but when you really dig deeper and have flagship iems or headphones ohhh you get to hear the difference and its quiet audible you just need small concentration and open mined, let the music talk to you! 🙃

Overall the SS is cleaner more contrasty and sharper imaging. Tighter bass with a slightly faster slam.

It has a cleaner treble with less glaring and zingy peaky treble resonance. I don't know what it is but the copper version has this annoying eeeeky peakyyy squeaky resonance above the treble middle note decay.... In the SS its super clean natural and exactly how it should be!
One solution for this is set a different dac fillter in the copper version for slow roll off butttt then you are losing some resolution in soundstage and that's a big BUMMER!

Bass in SS is faster, tighter but also less hazy and less diffused. Its almost like more precised as in copper its stretched elongated and more fuzzy a little, its bouncy lushy kind of. Its not really something you'll notice until you do a/b directly with both devices on hand!

For vocals which for me I call it the mids hehe, is also a better tuning on the SS, as everything here applies the same way, more cleaner and better elaborated sounding vocals. It has a more normal proper sounding timbre here on ss. In copper its more warmish, slightly thicker and a little less sharpness becoming more cloudy and airy or less dense.

As you can see overall the SS is the 100% more accurate and exact tuning that aka should be.
The copper version derives a little to the softer warmer tuning with a more gentler bass but with a little spike in treble...

Dont be fooled like I was, I thought copper would give more bass and less treble!
WELL GOD DAM lmao its all the other way apparently *** lol now I need to get my self the SS and sell my copper 😱😭

🐅🐾🌿

Interesting find. I've never heard the SS myself, just the SP1000 SS version, but that's a different DAP all throughout. Regarding the treble resonance which to me sounds like digital harshness/hard sound, I don't notice it even comparing to the Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC on my speaker setup (its closed-form linear phase non-apodizing digital filter, commonly called the burrito filter and the multiplying DAC chip translate to zero digital harshness). I play lots of harsh sounding (on inferior DAPs) K-Pop recordings and what made me decide to SP2000 Cu is that non-fatiguing, R2R like tonality without sacrificing incisiveness (Chord has lots of incisiveness but trading off mid-range tonality IMHO). I suspect it's more like a unit variance in terms of internal parts that can cause that treble resonance

May 1, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #4,724 of 5,848
I finally got the adapter it is being in burn-in progress, first impressions are quite excellent lets see how it evolves 😎🧐

It is a very dynamic and lively sound get ready to shake your world with good punch and explosive sound. Resolution seems also very clean, I am just waiting to see how the articulation will get after burn in. Seems a little strong in dynamics and articulation slightly not there yet, I think its due to fresh open box sound need time to get better.

Attachments

• PXL_20210502_010404282.jpg
    PXL_20210502_010404282.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210502_010357327.jpg
    PXL_20210502_010357327.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
May 2, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #4,725 of 5,848
I finally got the adapter it is being in burn-in progress, first impressions are quite excellent lets see how it evolves 😎🧐

It is a very dynamic and lively sound get ready to shake your world with good punch and explosive sound. Resolution seems also very clean, I am just waiting to see how the articulation will get after burn in. Seems a little strong in dynamics and articulation slightly not there yet, I think its due to fresh open box sound need time to get better.
So what is the point of these duel plug adapters, vs a simple single male to male cable??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back