Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Apr 24, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #4,696 of 5,848
Is Tidal really that bad? I mean I have heard a few accusations against them, but have not looked into it myself...?
It's a bit of a rabbit hole but I've looked a little. I wouldn't say that Tidal in itself is bad, In fact I quite like the user interface and desktop app. The technologies they have chosen to endorse however is probably why they get most of their flak. I won't get into it here because I have limited knowledge and I know some people are quite passionate about it but the infomation is out there if you want to scratch the surface.

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #4,697 of 5,848
I also don’t see a point in continuing to use Tidal when Spotify (finally) adds the Hifi mode, and hopefully Roon will support this soon.

I hope Roon adds Spotify support, but I honestly don’t see what Spotify would gain from it. The Roon user base is tiny in comparison, and Spotify surely must want users to go through their front end and ecosystem.

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #4,698 of 5,848
When I was in grad school years ago I would often marvel at how animated and passionate some arguments (discussions) would get. Quite heated, if fact. Then we'd all go get an adult beverage together--because we'd been criticizing each other's IDEAS, not EACH OTHER, per se.

I am saddened by how angry some of the conversations here can get. Of course I am old, and am still recovering from the shocking revelation that **** stands for Skin Tight Fancy Underwear! (I am old enough to remember when you only deserved to be famous if you were actually talented!)

Let's all take a breathe and move on to more important things like insulting each other's hearing ability. JK
I see what you did there, very clever.... You may be old as dirt, and have lost your high frequency's, but at least you still have your wits....

Attachments

• Jack.jpg
    Jack.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #4,699 of 5,848
(I am old enough to remember when you only deserved to be famous if you were actually talented!)
Hahaha, I 'member

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #4,700 of 5,848
Hi,

Is SP2000 compatible with Thunderbolt 3 technologie ? will be the transfert speed be high if I use that cable with my MacBook Pro to transfer date to SP2000 ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #4,701 of 5,848
It’s USB 3.0
It’s fast enough ... probably on par with wifi network transfer speeds?

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #4,702 of 5,848
I see what you did there, very clever.... You may be old as dirt, and have lost your high frequency's, but at least you still have your wits....
I guess fate ha traded one kind of bright for another for me!

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #4,703 of 5,848
If I was a company like AK, I will try negotiating lifetime support with companies such as TIDAL, ROON etc. If I manage that, I will use it in my marketing to attract more customers. And if I can't, I will tell customers that streaming apps and certifications can stop working at any time. I think they didn't achieve the former and didn't state the latter.

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #4,704 of 5,848
If I was a company like AK, I will try negotiating lifetime support with companies such as TIDAL, ROON etc. If I manage that, I will use it in my marketing to attract more customers. And if I can't, I will tell customers that streaming apps and certifications can stop working at any time. I think they didn't achieve the former and didn't state the latter.

Well, if the former is possible, it would definitely be desirable.

The more I think about A&K the more I come to the conclusion that they build fantastic digital music players with local file playback in mind. Now come the streaming services and they need to come up with a solution to address the demand.

But currently, they are struggling and having a hard time to address the streaming feature. The current Tidal issue is imho just a symptom of another cause. The strategy of baking a whole UI for a streaming service looks nice at first but I think it is extremely hard to keep up the pace especially if you don’t have many resources (a.k.a. Developers).

Then the workaround with sideloaded apps. I could live with this approach if they’re at least came up with a list of proven / tested / working app versions but they leave us customers in the fog. I can tell you some sad stories about that as an Apple Music user.

Streaming support was kind of forced on top of the DAP that was optimized as a local file machine.

As much as I like the A&K DAPs, as much I am frustrated with how they handle streaming. They need to change the design and implement e.g. a little frontend that works as an „A&K Store“ that links to the latest tested and working apks and installs them on the fly. That would be a first approach.

The long term solution would be to change the underlying OS to better handle streaming services and get rid of their baked in apps.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #4,705 of 5,848
Apr 26, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #4,706 of 5,848
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #4,707 of 5,848
I am trying to decide which of this 2 adapters is better have anyone tried them?

https://www.effectaudio.com/accessories/aka-balance-adaptor.html

https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/11936.html
I am using this adapter (https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...-4-4mm-balanced-female?variant=31710945116222) and very pleased with it. The only caveat is if you are using the SP2000 Dignis case with the cutout at the top it may impede the full insertion of the adapter plug. The stock case with the top fully exposed will not be an issue. Musicteck also stocks the Effectaudio adapter.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #4,708 of 5,848
I am using this adapter (https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...-4-4mm-balanced-female?variant=31710945116222) and very pleased with it. The only caveat is if you are using the SP2000 Dignis case with the cutout at the top it may impede the full insertion of the adapter plug. The stock case with the top fully exposed will not be an issue. Musicteck also stocks the Effectaudio adapter.

I am using stock leather case with the top exposed.

I applied the included film protections everywhere I could 😝🙃

@rlw6534

How does it do sound wise?

I am using DD hifi 4.4 to 2.5 adapter and really liking it.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #4,709 of 5,848
I am using stock leather case with the top exposed.

I applied the included film protections everywhere I could 😝🙃

@rlw6534

How does it do sound wise?

I am using DD hifi 4.4 to 2.5 adapter and really liking it.

I can't tell the difference between 2.5 mm and 4.4 mm but I don't have your ears... :sunglasses:

I bought it primarily for connection to my iFi desktop amp where the extra ground connection might make a difference. I understand it doesn't matter for headphones but I use it for them also.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #4,710 of 5,848

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back