Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jun 6, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #3,332 of 5,840
The PW Audio adapter uses the 2.5mm connection for L and R channels and utilizes the 3.5mm connection for ground connection (2.5mm is a 4-pole balanced connection whereas 4.4mm is a 5-pole connection, the extra 1 pole is for ground hence this adapter plugs into the 2.5 and 3.5 ports at the same time). If you use this adapter to connect a 4.4mm-terminated cable, it's most ideal because you're taking full advantage of the 5-pole design that your cable comes with.

The second adapter you listed converts a 4.4mm balanced cable to work with 2.5mm balanced OR 3.5mm SE. For the 2.5mm adapter, they may be shorting the ground or leaving the ground unconnected, depending on how they went with the implementation. The 3.5mm SE adapter, on the other hand, is connecting the hot signal from the right and left channels, as well as the ground.

Generally, you can only plug a balanced cable into an unbalanced output via an adapter, but not the other way around. That is with the exception of a properly grounded 4.4mm balanced output, as the SE connection (assume 3.5mm) can use that ground. With a 2.5mm balanced output, since there are only hot and cold signals for the left and right channels, a single end plug cannot be properly grounded. As a result, your amplifier can be damaged.

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #3,333 of 5,840
The PW Audio adapter uses the 2.5mm connection for L and R channels and utilizes the 3.5mm connection for ground connection (2.5mm is a 4-pole balanced connection whereas 4.4mm is a 5-pole connection, the extra 1 pole is for ground hence this adapter plugs into the 2.5 and 3.5 ports at the same time). If you use this adapter to connect a 4.4mm-terminated cable, it's most ideal because you're taking full advantage of the 5-pole design that your cable comes with.

The second adapter you listed converts a 4.4mm balanced cable to work with 2.5mm balanced OR 3.5mm SE. For the 2.5mm adapter, they may be shorting the ground or leaving the ground unconnected, depending on how they went with the implementation. The 3.5mm SE adapter, on the other hand, is connecting the hot signal from the right and left channels, as well as the ground.

Generally, you can only plug a balanced cable into an unbalanced output via an adapter, but not the other way around. That is with the exception of a properly grounded 4.4mm balanced output, as the SE connection (assume 3.5mm) can use that ground. With a 2.5mm balanced output, since there are only hot and cold signals for the left and right channels, a single end plug cannot be properly grounded. As a result, your amplifier can be damaged.
thanks for the reply, did anyone compare using those 2 adapters with sony ier z1r

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #3,335 of 5,840
Regardless of the ground path that adapter looks really robust, no undue strain to the 2.5 connection. I'm interested.
Yea it looks like a very solid adapter.

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #3,336 of 5,840
Playback is stuttering on Qobuz 5.9.0. I think on downloaded tracks. Bring on the next update... :) Qobuz really seem to struggle with that app.

EDIT: It does not matter if the track is downloaded or not.
That’s worrying. I haven’t experienced that one yet. I wonder what the difference is? On same Qobuz version with firmware 1.22. I’ve only re-downloaded about 45 albums so far though. How many albums do you have downloaded and is the app generally slower as well or is just playback that’s affected? I never got as far as being able to playback anything when I had my 657 albums downloaded.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #3,339 of 5,840
That’s worrying. I haven’t experienced that one yet. I wonder what the difference is? On same Qobuz version with firmware 1.22. I’ve only re-downloaded about 45 albums so far though. How many albums do you have downloaded and is the app generally slower as well or is just playback that’s affected? I never got as far as being able to playback anything when I had my 657 albums downloaded.
Playback is stuttering on Qobuz 5.9.0. I think on downloaded tracks. Bring on the next update... :) Qobuz really seem to struggle with that app.

EDIT: It does not matter if the track is downloaded or not.
Update: I got this for the first time today. It seems to be only on 24/192 tracks at the moment. I’ve also noted that the stuttering appears to be in the first 20 seconds or so of each track after which it seems to be ok. Not sure why that would be. These tracks are downloaded and I turned WiFi off to ensure it was accessing them from the download.

Also, I’m a little confused as I’m not sure if downloads are limited to 24/96. If I execute a download from clicking the dots to the right of a track in a list and then select ‘Import in quality’ a message appears giving only two options - CD and 24/96. However, if I download using the arrow displayed on an album near the top left of the screen it just goes straight ahead with the downloads.
I’ve set all the options in Qobuz for downloads and streaming to allow 24/192.
@JasonNYC Any ideas?

EDIT: UPDATE: If you delete the downloads, it streams more reliably but still not perfectly.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #3,340 of 5,840
Update: I got this for the first time today. It seems to be only on 24/192 tracks at the moment. I’ve also noted that the stuttering appears to be in the first 20 seconds or so of each track after which it seems to be ok. Not sure why that would be. These tracks are downloaded and I turned WiFi off to ensure it was accessing them from the download.

Also, I’m a little confused as I’m not sure if downloads are limited to 24/96. If I execute a download from clicking the dots to the right of a track in a list and then select ‘Import in quality’ a message appears giving only two options - CD and 24/96. However, if I download using the arrow displayed on an album near the top left of the screen it just goes straight ahead with the downloads.
I’ve set all the options in Qobuz for downloads and streaming to allow 24/192.
@JasonNYC Any ideas?

EDIT: UPDATE: If you delete the downloads, it streams more reliably but still not perfectly.
@JasonNYC Further to this, I adjusted the option in Qobuz to only allow streaming up to 24/96 and the stuttering seems worse than when left at 24/192. As far as I can tell it’s the same or similar as when listening to the same tracks when they were downloaded. It’s almost as if the downsampling makes it worse.

Jun 7, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #3,341 of 5,840
I believe it seems to be related to the recent Qobuz app build and the requirement for Google Play Services. I spoke to the Qobuz USA team yesterday afternoon and they were going to follow up with the app dev team and get back to me. Have you tried downloading and installing an older version of the Qobuz app and see if you still have issues?

Normally, you should be able to downgrade and not lose any content you already downloaded, but it looks like whatever underlying changes they made to the latest version of the Qobuz app, you cannot go back. You would need to delete the currently installed app by pressing on the "i" within the circle icon and select delete. Install the older app version like you would any other APK.
Hey, Jason.

I'm having the same Qobuz problems with my SR25. I've tried 5.9.0 and 5.8.0.1. It is very frustrating to spend hours downloading offline content and have the app crash and not be able to restart download queue.

Also had the app crash and not be able to restart it. Reinstall Qobuz app and offline content is gone.

Thanks for helping.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #3,342 of 5,840
Try logging out of Qobuz and log back in if you were logged in before.

Regarding the issue with the latest version of Qobuz, I received a message this afternoon saying they found the issue with the latest release and will be releasing an update to the app probably this week that will remove that Google Play Services message. New version of app should also function better on DAPs.
Hopefully they will add "Restore Offline Content" similar to Tidal--very valuable feature!

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #3,343 of 5,840
@JasonNYC Further to this, I adjusted the option in Qobuz to only allow streaming up to 24/96 and the stuttering seems worse than when left at 24/192. As far as I can tell it’s the same or similar as when listening to the same tracks when they were downloaded. It’s almost as if the downsampling makes it worse.
@JasonNYC
ok so to recap on Qobuz stuttering problem
Least stuttering - only once on 8 24/192 tracks - is definitely streaming at 24/192 with tracks not downloaded.
Once the same tracks are downloaded, experience 4 or 5 stutters more toward the beginning of each track. I get similar results if I don’t download and change the maximum streaming rate in Qobuz to 24/96.
These are the tracks I have had the problem on:
http://open.qobuz.com/playlist/3297202

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #3,344 of 5,840
Anyone has a clue on this?

1591580300628.png

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #3,345 of 5,840

Users who are viewing this thread

Back