Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Feb 1, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #1,366 of 2,698
Which could be fixed very easily if ony Astell would follow the trend led by Cayin and Lotoo, where they let the user choose which preset digital filters you want the dac to apply.

This is typically a big part of wat can affect decay, especially in the treble area.
This has given me plenty of satisfaction when pairing specific IEMs with my Cayin N5 for example, to have the most natural decay for cymbals.

For some reason, Astell never gives the user access to the DAC preset filters, and this is shame.

I'm no digital audio expert. I have managed to avoid it for the most part and only plug into the digits for convenience. Tinkering with filters sounds interesting. When I have the time I'll read up on it. There are a whole lot of bunches of albums here and a couple short of 800 CDs. You get the picture.

I have spent a few evenings with my ancient SR71 plugged in between the Kann and the Etymotics. All is well, the resonance missing with the internal amp is back. Same results using the Holmes Powell amp and Grado HP-2s. Thoughts?

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #1,367 of 2,698
I'm no digital audio expert. I have managed to avoid it for the most part and only plug into the digits for convenience. Tinkering with filters sounds interesting. When I have the time I'll read up on it. There are a whole lot of bunches of albums here and a couple short of 800 CDs. You get the picture.

I have spent a few evenings with my ancient SR71 plugged in between the Kann and the Etymotics. All is well, the resonance missing with the internal amp is back. Same results using the Holmes Powell amp and Grado HP-2s. Thoughts?
My findings, as well. The internal amp is a bit dry with some headphones. I am currently using an ALO Continental V2 or my vintage Sansui receiver when I’d like to sweeten the sound of the KANN.

It’s possibly a load/headphone thing. I’m curious to try my LCD2C’s on the KANN when they arrive, as they should already be a bit on the lush side, which may temper the KANN’s tendencies a bit.

I want to mention that I still use the internal amp, as it’s obviously the most convenient when I’m the go. It’s very capable and certainly doesn’t sound *bad*. But, when I have more time/space (at home, or in my office), I find it preferable to use the KANNs excellent line out (which doesn’t seem to pass through the ‘dry’ character) to an external amp.

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #1,368 of 2,698
I got those 2 daps first is n5ii then x7ii.. N5ii has a nice midrange neutral to warm, black background with no hiss... Imaging and seperation and resolution beats most of the daps especially when you are into musical.. On the x7ii.. Midrange imaging is stunning compared to most daps when I auditioned them at egghead for 2 hours while choosing... It beats the ak kann and ak70 mk2 in most areas most specially in imaging and midrange quality.. But x7ii is better for me since it is fast.. Transparent... Nice seperation though background has glare.. They are not far from each other but for mids I prefer the x7ii for instrumental n5ii.. Overall I would pick the x7ii due to its neutral reference sound sig.. Just sharing.. My words are not enough feel free to pm me

-some guy comparing the kann and the x7ii LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #1,369 of 2,698
But x7ii is better for me since it is fast.. Transparent... Nice seperation though background has glare..
-some guy comparing the kann and the x7ii LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Are you suggesting the x7ii has “glare” in its presentation? I associate glare with poor digital reproduction, and am very sensitive to it (perhaps because I grew up in the analog era). That would kill the x7ii for me.

I find no glare in the KANN. It has its weaknesses, but luckily glare is not one.

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,370 of 2,698
Are you suggesting the x7ii has “glare” in its presentation? I associate glare with poor digital reproduction, and am very sensitive to it (perhaps because I grew up in the analog era). That would kill the x7ii for me.

I find no glare in the KANN. It has its weaknesses, but luckily glare is not one.
not my words, some guy in an audiophile group

Feb 7, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #1,371 of 2,698
I noticed that I'm not able to adjust the volume using the wheel while the screen is off and in DAC mode. Volume wheel works fine while in player mode when the screen is off. The firmware is 1.05CM. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? If so, is this intended behavior?

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #1,372 of 2,698
To any mfg. rep. that reads this. Could you confirm that a Kann or few will be @ Can Jam NYC next wekend to audition?

Thanx

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #1,373 of 2,698
Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #1,374 of 2,698
Feb 9, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,377 of 2,698
@JasonNYC Hi Jason, can you tell me if this is intended behavior? noticed that I'm not able to adjust the volume using the wheel while the screen is off and in DAC mode. Volume wheel works fine while in player mode when the screen is off. The firmware is 1.05CM and lock function is disabled.

Thanks.

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,378 of 2,698
@JasonNYC Hi Jason, can you tell me if this is intended behavior? noticed that I'm not able to adjust the volume using the wheel while the screen is off and in DAC mode. Volume wheel works fine while in player mode when the screen is off. The firmware is 1.05CM and lock function is disabled.

Thanks.
@thor777

Volume control in USB DAC mode only works when the screen is on. It does not work when the screen is turned off and in USB DAC mode. Is your volume control not working when the screen is turned on in USB DAC mode?

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 9, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #1,379 of 2,698
@JasonNYC Thank you for your reply. My unit is working as intended then. The volume works fine in DAC mode when screen is on.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,380 of 2,698
John Grandberg's new review on Kann check it out on 6th Feb posted on Innerfidility. Entered in Hall of fame. :)

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/astellkern-kann-portable-media-player

Thanks for posting the link! I came here to post it myself, and now I don't have to.

I really enjoyed evaluating the KANN, and I hope that came through in the writeup. It's not the ideal player for everyone, but has a lot going for it overall. I often find myself reaching for it at home... when I'm too lazy to fire up the big system. In fact I'm using it right now with a Focal Elex, relaxing to a Sober Rob album, and quite enjoying the result.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back