Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Feb 14, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #1,396 of 2,698
Better damping to control bass should never be confused with veil.
I didn't. I also feel less energy in the highs, which is fine by me because I find things way less fatiguing now

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #1,397 of 2,698
I didn't. I also feel less energy in the highs, which is fine by me because I find things way less fatiguing now
Ah. Pardon then. Made the assumption as you only highlighted the bass and didn't make a nod to the upper half of the frequency spectrum in that post.

Do you have a Grace m900 or Massdrop m9XX per chance? If so, is it safe to say there are similarities in their output 'signature'?

Feb 14, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #1,398 of 2,698
Ah. Pardon then. Made the assumption as you only highlighted the bass and didn't make a nod to the upper half of the frequency spectrum in that post.

Do you have a Grace m900 or Massdrop m9XX per chance? If so, is it safe to say there are similarities in their output 'signature'?
I have not, but sadly I have a hightened sensitivity to peaks that make vocals sound metallic, sharp and/or sibilant. Chances are I might find it too fatiguing even when most people don't.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #1,399 of 2,698
Feb 15, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #1,400 of 2,698
Hey guy's,
Just a quickie, I use Qobuz. I believe the Kann supports Tidal, will it not use Qobuz?
I've seen snipets of reports talking about future Qobuz support.
Also will it stream Tidal (and Qobuz if it does) or is it just Tidal / Quobuz purchased/downloaded or imported files? ....
Don' really know how Tidal works to be honest.

Did a"Qobuz" search but no hits.

Cheers and hello! .... I may join your thread, not sure yet. ..... Or AK240, researching at the moment.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #1,401 of 2,698
Hey guy's,
Just a quickie, I use Qobuz. I believe the Kann supports Tidal, will it not use Qobuz?
I've seen snipets of reports talking about future Qobuz support.
Also will it stream Tidal (and Qobuz if it does) or is it just Tidal / Quobuz purchased/downloaded or imported files? ....
Don' really know how Tidal works to be honest.

Did a"Qobuz" search but no hits.

Cheers and hello! .... I may join your thread, not sure yet. ..... Or AK240, researching at the moment.

The Kann only supports Tidal. Reports are not always accurate so dont go by that. Cheers

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #1,404 of 2,698
Anyone besides me wondering if A&K might introduce a Kann MKII in the next few months?

I dont think A&K will come out with version 2 of Kann so soon. Kann has just been taking awards for its built and sound quality and sales are picking up. So maybe not for version 2 yet.

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #1,405 of 2,698
016BD92F-4826-40DB-A4D0-EEE4D785B301.jpeg Hey guys one of the early Kann owners, the Kann was my first dap,, I love my Kann, it’s not big or heavy to me feels good in the hand just built differently, sq is amazing I think they tuned Kann very musicaly battery life is amazing.

Recently purchased AK Rosies 8 balance armatures updated model, love combination Kann brings out every simbulance on every note
To feed my addiction I also purchased ak mk 2,
Ak 70 is also an amazing dap but sq wise Kann sq has more weight separating of notes when using Rosie’s just some observations,,

I think AK did a phenomenal job with Kann
Thx

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #1,406 of 2,698
The KANN is my first AK DAP so I'm not sure what's going on here, I'm finding that if I want to play full albums some songs are sorted by the play order while others are sorted alphabetically even though all of them have the correct tags (I rip and tag all my CDs manually). Is this normal? I did use JRiver to add the songs to my KANN so that might be it

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #1,407 of 2,698
The KANN is my first AK DAP so I'm not sure what's going on here, I'm finding that if I want to play full albums some songs are sorted by the play order while others are sorted alphabetically even though all of them have the correct tags (I rip and tag all my CDs manually). Is this normal? I did use JRiver to add the songs to my KANN so that might be it

Kann indexing is not up to order. Also since the processor takes long to read long files and is not capable of correct indexing. This was pointed out to A&K but so far it has not been solved in their software update

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #1,408 of 2,698
I'm finding that if I want to play full albums some songs are sorted by the play order while others are sorted alphabetically even though all of them have the correct tags (I rip and tag all my CDs manually). Is this normal?

I have never encountered this problem.
It works for me, maybe because after applying the tags I rename the files by putting the track number before the song title?

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #1,410 of 2,698
Kann indexing is not up to order. Also since the processor takes long to read long files and is not capable of correct indexing. This was pointed out to A&K but so far it has not been solved in their software update
I had problems with sorting until I figured out that (1) within Artist, the Kann sorts albums chronologically, by the “Year” tag -- I had to go in and fix/insert some year tags; (2) some albums, for particular songs, have more than one "Artist", such as if it's a guest duet or e.g. "#1 Soprano Album" which had 20-some Artists -- I use mp3tag, and routinely copy all Artists to the Album Artist tag then make the Artist be just the main group/person for the album; (3) for multiple-CD albums, the Kann may see them as all the same album, which screws up the track order -- I combined all of my multi-CD albums into single folders and renumbered all tracks for the total album number -- you also have to make sure your ripper gave each CD of the multi-CD album the same Album name, which mine sometimes didn't and had to be fixed.
I often like playing music by Genre, but I've found that dBpoweramp (which I use) and iTunes (which a music-sharing friend uses) often apply Genre tags I don't like -- easy to change them with your tagging program of choice.
Hope some of this helps -- Monte

Users who are viewing this thread

Back