Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,921 of 3,321
Last night right after my above post I was going to hear some music after it was on charge and got fully charged but guss what? I pushed the power button and it got stuck on the start up screen. The progressing bar was stuck on its beginning position...!
I tried to hard reset by holding down the power key for 10 secs but after restart same thing happened. I let it on in the freezing screen for ten minuts but again same crap freezing startup screen.
Out of some experience with android phones, some hint came and I dcided to push some keys together. I started with perevious key and power key...Device turned on and bingo...Thank god it started normally. Soon I reinstalled the v1.03 fw to erase anything nasty off the FW.
Up until now everything is normal.
I dont know whats wrong with my Jr, cause it seems individual issues reported by individual owners all gathered in my set torturing me??

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,922 of 3,321
  There's that, but also I have a 128gb with 8100 songs and yes it is slow but what really gets me is every time I shut it off and back on again I have to listen to the same songs, it does not have "real" random play all songs. I wish they would focus on an update for this. I asked Alex who works with AK and said there would be an update but he does not know when.

I understand and have no problem with folks that hope for improvements. I just get tired of reading posts that disparage manufactures when because their entry level player doesn't perform like the company's TOTL model. Truth is that most of the manufactures focus on sonic performance and the UI is not getting a large portion of the company's resources. Glad to hear that AK said there is an update in the works and I'm more than willing to wait for it. I've been an early adapter for most everything I do and actually enjoy developing ways to make it work. At least with 8100 songs you have a complete and functional library on the Jr. My 14,000 songs means that 4,000 of mine are only available by browsing folders, but by getting my playlists to work with the Jr. I have a very usable interface to select what I want to listen to. FWIW, I had the same issues with my AK100 II and AK240 when I first bought them. 

Not sure if you care, but you could divide your 8100 songs into a set of "typical listening time" playlists and select a different playlist each time you turn the Jr on.

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,923 of 3,321
@balcom
Have you experienced problems like switching from low res to high res songs result in poor sound quality needed to replay the song? Or long pause in high res music results in strange no sound buzzing noise and the player stops working?

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #1,924 of 3,321
I understand and have no problem with folks that hope for improvements. I just get tired of reading posts that disparage manufactures when because their entry level player doesn't perform like the company's TOTL model. Truth is that most of the manufactures focus on sonic performance and the UI is not getting a large portion of the company's resources. Glad to hear that AK said there is an update in the works and I'm more than willing to wait for it.

Have you experienced problems like switching from low res to high res songs result in poor sound quality needed to replay the song? Or long pause in high res music results in strange no sound buzzing noise and the player stops working?

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #1,925 of 3,321
Or long pause in high res music results in strange no sound buzzing noise and the player stops working?

I had this issue yesterday I think, I had to turn off the device and reboot it 

Only happened once 

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #1,926 of 3,321
Or long pause in high res music results in strange no sound buzzing noise and the player stops working?

Yep...had that here, too. Couldn't pin it on any specific format/quality, though.

Same problems with the DAC obviously, which is a shame...but i never bought it for that. Would be nice to have working...but instead they just shouldn't have bothered putting a DAC into the Jr at all. Linux and USB (especially USB3 now) can only mean trouble, unless you know exactly what you're doing and are willing/able to support it.

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,927 of 3,321
*edit, nevermind idk why I rehash this argument all the time, stupid of me*
confused_face.gif

I wonder if some of the problems people are having with Hi Res stuff is due to the UAC1 specification, I think there are some constraints on that codec re: bit depth and stuff- so they might be getting downsampled when using AK Jr as DAC, maybe whatever is doing the downsampling (windows directsound or something?) does not do the best job...

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #1,928 of 3,321

I have not. No problems playing anything with the Jr, but it is not used at home. I bought it for its form factor and was quite pleased with the sound. I also was really pleased that it was not android based liked the AK240 and AK100 II which have issues loading music for us Mac users.

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #1,929 of 3,321
I have not. No problems playing anything with the Jr, but it is not used at home. I bought it for its form factor and was quite pleased with the sound. I also was really pleased that it was not android based liked the AK240 and AK100 II which have issues loading music for us Mac users.

Strange...
Some people have exact problems as I do but some other dont have even a single issue at all!
My belief is stronger now that there are diffrent batches of Jrs.
Lets make a list of all issues we have and post them in another thread to see A&K reaction.
What do you guys think?

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #1,931 of 3,321
Hi guys, is this Jr. better or worse than the Sony Sony Walkman NWZX2BLK

IN terms of measurable audio performance and the variety of headphones it is capable of driving, probably JR ( http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-akjr-16-24-bit-loaded-unloaded  http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-sony-nw-zx2-24-bit ), though people w/ ZX2 seem to quite like its sound.

In terms of UI, features, battery life, probably ZX2. JR is somewhat rudimental, though it does have Bluetooth and USB DAC functionality (sometimes).

Depends on your priorities, I guess.

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #1,932 of 3,321
I am assuming 2 to 3 times the cost of Jr,Sony should sound better...however in most reviews Jr has been compared fairly against X5II and DX90 saying it sounds better....subjective though...

I'm also thinking but cannot make up my mind between Jr and plenue D....

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,934 of 3,321
Hi guys, is this Jr. better or worse than the Sony Sony Walkman NWZX2BLK

I find the Sony SQ superior to the Jr. but not by much and the Sony is a bit richer/warmer.  The incredible battery life and the flexibility of using Android apps make is more functional.  I think of the ZX2 as a smartphone with an incredible audio stage attached. 

The downside to the ZX2 is that it is twice the cost and weighs more than twice that of the Jr.

The Sony is better all around.  On the Sony NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP thread there are two camps on how well it drives headphones over 32Ohms.  I've paired it with my T90's and experience no issues.  The general consensus is that it drives IEMs very well and I can attest to that.  Since Sony is based on an unrestricted Android OS you can load various players. I use DLNA players all the time streaming music from a couple of my audio streaming sources.  Further, since I travel I frequently watch videos and listen to my Audible books.  

All of my Sony ZX2 comments are based on the unrestricted non-EU based model. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back