Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #1,891 of 3,321
  Hello to everybody,
i have a Sony NwzA15 and i can save music or on the internal storage or on sd. The player cant read both at same moment.
Can the Astell & Kern jr read both storages or not at the same time? 
thank you guys

My experience with Sony is that when you connect it to your computer it connects either the internal memory or the sd card as selected in the device's settings. The AK Jr connects both as individual usb drives. Not exactly sure what you are asking about playlists, but they are formatted differently than those created it iTunes. Start with this post (http://www.head-fi.org/t/764034/astell-kern-junior-ak-jr-impressions-thread/435#post_11678651 ) and then scan the next few pages to figure out how to edit your iTunes' playlists to work on the Jr. It takes a little work, but playlists work fine.

Good luck.

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #1,892 of 3,321
I was wondering how good the Jr is for stacking? How does the line out work, is it transparent, no noise? I would be stacking it with a Cayin C5 amp, for JH audio layla universals. I'm looking into a DAC that outperforms my old x3 (1st gen) and a unit that displays album art well.

Also, does Jr have the same problems with album art that the 1st gen AK100 has? That person only displayed the attached art if the wind was blowing from south-east and the moon was waxing. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #1,894 of 3,321
JR does have sort of 3D effect... enveloping sound. Very engaging
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #1,896 of 3,321
Hi,
Hoping someone else might have an issue similar to what I am experiencing & can help me.

I have a 64 GB Micro SD Card which I have transfered some music onto for playing in my Astell & Kern.

I have tried to delete the songs from the card both on the PC & through the Astell & Kern.
I have even formatted the Micro SD Card, but whenever I put the Card back
into my player the songs have returned. I don't think its anything to do with the player
maybe the card.... so frustrating, I have searched online and can find no answers.
Any suggestions ???.......

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #1,897 of 3,321
  Hi,
Hoping someone else might have an issue similar to what I am experiencing & can help me.

I have a 64 GB Micro SD Card which I have transfered some music onto for playing in my Astell & Kern.

I have tried to delete the songs from the card both on the PC & through the Astell & Kern.
I have even formatted the Micro SD Card, but whenever I put the Card back
into my player the songs have returned. I don't think its anything to do with the player
maybe the card.... so frustrating, I have searched online and can find no answers.
Any suggestions ???.......

Sounds like your card has been corrupted. Sometimes this is caused by interrupted read/write operations (why it is so important to use the 'eject' function on computers & devices, or have devices off when removing), or a bad sector. There are some ways of attempting to repair them, or at least recover undamaged content- I have not had luck in the past, but certainly worth trying,

Suggest searching manufacturer's Support page or a tech forum like Tom's Hardware for 'SD Card Repair" or Recovery mabye.

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #1,898 of 3,321
  Sounds like your card has been corrupted. Sometimes this is caused by interrupted read/write operations (why it is so important to use the 'eject' function on computers & devices, or have devices off when removing), or a bad sector. There are some ways of attempting to repair them, or at least recover undamaged content- I have not had luck in the past, but certainly worth trying,

Suggest searching manufacturer's Support page or a tech forum like Tom's Hardware for 'SD Card Repair" or Recovery mabye.

Yes I second this, as this is a typical behavior for flash ram based devices like SSD or SD cards.  In general, unlike HDD, SSD or SD cards start to fail by first unable to write or rewrite (i.e., fail to delete), then it will not be able to read all together.  When this happens, back up everything you need from the device and get replacement.

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #1,903 of 3,321
BTW Dr. Sheep is the K10 worth keeping as a complimentary phone next to the Layla? I'm just afraid I won't even listen to it because the Layla would hog all my ear time

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,905 of 3,321
  Any news whether A&K are thinking about firmware updates?

I'm curious if they're gonna address issues like faulty format switching from 16bit to 24 bit or DSD files. Every 1 out of 5 when I try to hear the next song from 44 16 to 24bit I get a nasty hissing on left channel while the audio level reduced on that channel. I have to tap on previous button to the beginning of the song to correct the sound. I also tried a test device in a shop and same issue. Tried both v1.02 and v1.03 FWs. Add that faulty USB DAC connection and this device really sucks...No matter how good the sound is when operating correctly.
If they're not going to solve via FW update in next 1-2 months Im going to sell it and will never buy anything from Astell again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back