Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #1,906 of 3,321
  BTW Dr. Sheep is the K10 worth keeping as a complimentary phone next to the Layla? I'm just afraid I won't even listen to it because the Layla would hog all my ear time

If you think you the Layla is comfortable enough for your as a daily then that's fine, but for me the K10 is much more user friendly, plus lots of other better and cheaper cable options than the JH series.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #1,907 of 3,321
I find that I take my K10 everywhere and my Layla are used exclusively at home.  This is partly due to their size and I think the aluminum is a bit more rugged.  I don't have a fit issue with either but the K10 being smaller seem to fit just a tad better.  

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #1,908 of 3,321
Hi Guys,

Need help I'm still deciding' on the go DAP' for myself and stuck at the moment with the release of Plenue D. Has anyone compared both? I prefer the form and design of Jr except for battery life.

Will be pairing with DITA audio the Answer Edition.

I wonder how much better or close they are to each other interms of SQ? Cant compare together as they are at different stores.
confused.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #1,910 of 3,321
Hi guys, I've finally received my AK Jr ! 

It pairs really well with my Oppo PM-3, as I expected.

I find it more musical, engaging and airy than my DX90

Instruments separation and soundstage are amazing too 

I have two questions :

- I've tried the USB DAC on my PC but it didn't work at all (no sounds). My PC is under Windows 10 64 bit, and I've tried USB 2.0 only (as far as I know, USB 3.0 don't work)

I put the Jr in USB on my PC (USB 2.0), then the driver installs automatically, I choose the Iriver [...] in the sound settings in Windows, and I put the PM-3 on the Jr, but nothing works...

If anyone has an explanation ... 

-How many time does it takes to fully charge the Jr in a USB charger? Any indicator to show that the Jr is fully charged? (Its always stated as batterty is charging after 2h30) ? 

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #1,911 of 3,321

-How many time does it takes to fully charge the Jr in a USB charger? Any indicator to show that the Jr is fully charged? (Its always stated as batterty is charging after 2h30) ? 

It can take a good 3+ hours to charge for me. The display will change to say "Fully charged" or - if it's turned on - the little battery will turn a solid orange.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #1,914 of 3,321
I have two questions :

- I've tried the USB DAC on my PC but it didn't work at all (no sounds). My PC is under Windows 10 64 bit, and I've tried USB 2.0 only (as far as I know, USB 3.0 don't work)

I put the Jr in USB on my PC (USB 2.0), then the driver installs automatically, I choose the Iriver [...] in the sound settings in Windows, and I put the PM-3 on the Jr, but nothing works...

If anyone has an explanation ... 

Hi,
I also have some issues with its USB DAC functionality. What I've learned about this device is either it's cpu is darn too slow or the FW is writen by 5 years old farty kid...
There are some serious problems with the DAP functionalities too.
Astell seems has no so much keen on realising a proper update and left their Jr owners on thier own.
Its just a beautiful DAP with an excellent sound but with a laggy cpu an UI.

P.s.: Mine takes about 3:45 from zero to fully charged with a 1amp charger with the device turned off.

Good luck

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #1,917 of 3,321
I've succeeded to use the Jr as a DAC on Win 10 64 bit : I had to turn off the USB 3.0 function (xhci ) ...

This is a "half solution", both it almost works well. I've noticed a very slight desync, but hardly noticeable...

About the charge time, could it be improved by using a more modern charger?

I use the Iriver cable with a old Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc charger (2010-2011 I think)...  

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #1,918 of 3,321
I think a lot of people are already aware that the "Work around" to get the DAC working in Windows 10,
is to disable USB 3 , but that's the problem, if you do that , then your transfer speed for loading
files onto your Astell & Kern or Micro SD is impacted on.
I guess what most really want is for Astell & Kern, to acknowledge it's an issue that's being experienced
by so many, and release an updated version of firmware for The AK JR that fixes it...without disabling USB 3 

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #1,919 of 3,321
Their version of the update is to buy the AK120, probably

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #1,920 of 3,321
Or maybe there was a reason Astell & Kern limits the size of the SD Card to 64gb in the specs. My experience is that the more tracks that are added the slower the Jr. responds.

There's that, but also I have a 128gb with 8100 songs and yes it is slow but what really gets me is every time I shut it off and back on again I have to listen to the same songs, it does not have "real" random play all songs. I wish they would focus on an update for this. I asked Alex who works with AK and said there would be an update but he does not know when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back