Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #1,411 of 3,321
Have mine up for sale if anyone was on the fence! I need more synth gear, even before my beloved JR 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #1,419 of 3,321
I use 200mb card and it works just fine.

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #1,420 of 3,321
So why does Astell & Kern advertise that this DAP can hold only an additional 64 gb MicroSD card?

If I may hazard a guess:   A&K don't want to make the JR. seem too competitive in specs with the AK100.   For many audiophiles like myself, storage capacity is the top priority in DAP purchases, and thusly it's harder to justify spending 400 dollars more on the AK100 when the Jr. can hold just as much data.

I am not saying A&K are lying...but by implying it can only support up to 64 GB microSD, they are  being equivocal and misleading, since this is clearly not the entire truth. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #1,421 of 3,321
  So why does Astell & Kern advertise that this DAP can hold only an additional 64 gb MicroSD card?

If I may hazard a guess:   A&K don't want to make the JR. seem too competitive in specs with the AK100.   For many audiophiles like myself, storage capacity is the top priority in DAP purchases, and thusly it's harder to justify spending 400 dollars more on the AK100 when the Jr. can hold just as much data.

I am not saying A&K are lying...but by implying it can only support up to 64 GB microSD, they are  being equivocal and misleading, since this is clearly not the entire truth. 

Sure, AK should tell that they have not tested 128 or 200GB cards and so they cannot certify their use in their smaller DAP but the real reasn might reside in marketing: they clearly don't want that their entry model to cannibalize the upper one.
At almost twice the price, the AK100 has to be better in every domain: connectivity with WIFI, sound with balnced out and capacity with he support of 128GB cards.

But you don't have to believe evrything in marketing speech, do you? Obviously not if you are here asking.

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #1,422 of 3,321
  Sure, AK should tell that they have not tested 128 or 200GB cards and so they cannot certify their use in their smaller DAP but the real reasn might reside in marketing: they clearly don't want that their entry model to cannibalize the upper one.
At almost twice the price, the AK100 has to be better in every domain: connectivity with WIFI, sound with balnced out and capacity with he support of 128GB cards.

But you don't have to believe evrything in marketing speech, do you? Obviously not if you are here asking.

I have to agree.

AK definitely tries to keep their players competitive by picking what features they can market and what features they can't.

Take for example the AK100II versus the AK120II.  AK120II features twice the amount of internal memory, the dual DAC, and a stronger amp/balanced output.  Is this worth twice the amount of price of the AK100II?  Hard to say.

I will say that it is definitely easy to justify the more expensive purchase if they have more features.  And the larger memory is one the ways they market their players heavily which I found especially true for the AK120II versus AK100II.

All in all, I still feel like AK makes fantastic products.  I am a huge fan of the AK100II and the AK Jr (though sadly I sold my AK100II).  Both products sound wonderful, have beautiful and robust build quality.  Their UI is definitely passable and they are always updating their firmware.  While I might not agree with their pricing or their marketing, I still enjoy their products.  I just wish they were a bit cheaper!

Definitely enjoying my Jr for now just as much as I enjoyed my AK100II.

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,424 of 3,321
My first Words on this wonderful Forum !

I have an AK JR driving Bose QC20i & QC25 for travel (Plane / Train). I'm very happy with those Headphones, but i wonder if i will go a step ahead with new IEM with price range of 400-500€.
I never had a chance to test my AK JR with headphone like SM64, Westone W40, Cardas, Grado, FinalAudio etc...Maybe some of you already did the comparaison ! 

Thanks for your reply !

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,425 of 3,321
Welcome here @khordo

I might have an answer for you as I own one of the combination you suggest. Jr of course for a source and for listening QC25 and SM64.

Last week, I was flying for business. Short flight but as usual I wore QC25 that did their job: attenuate part of the sound of the engines while enjoying a bit of music.
Fact is I didn't finish Mozart's requiem I was listening to. So after transfer, taxi and unloading the luggage, I decided to give Mozart a chance to finish his last requiem. And GOSH, that was really not the same atmosphere !!! I was in another dimension.

QC25 are good at what they are done for. Let you have music in a relax environment despite the noise. Decent but mid-fi.
SM64 play in a totally different league and I can bet that you will immediately get the difference. More, More ... everything. Extension, details, soundstage, everything.

If you want to take advantage of your DAP, you have to look for real phones. SM64 are one of them but the choice is yours. The best being that you can try of the IEM you quoted as they might have different signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back