Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,426 of 3,321
  So why does Astell & Kern advertise that this DAP can hold only an additional 64 gb MicroSD card?

If I may hazard a guess:   A&K don't want to make the JR. seem too competitive in specs with the AK100.   For many audiophiles like myself, storage capacity is the top priority in DAP purchases, and thusly it's harder to justify spending 400 dollars more on the AK100 when the Jr. can hold just as much data.

I am not saying A&K are lying...but by implying it can only support up to 64 GB microSD, they are  being equivocal and misleading, since this is clearly not the entire truth. 

Actually, I would guess that it has more to do with the Jr's design and the fact that the more files you load on it the slower the UI gets. Same as for why there is a 10,000 track limit on the library. The 1.03 FW sped the UI up a considerable amount, but it is still slow with a 10,000 track library to load. Guess it all depends on what you mean by "support".

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,428 of 3,321
If you are looking for the great sound quality along with very good isolation and fit, add a little money and get Westone 60. I really enjoying the Jr - W60 combination.

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #1,429 of 3,321
If you are looking for the great sound quality along with very good isolation and fit, add a little money and get Westone 60. I really enjoying the Jr - W60 combination.

Hmm 60s aren't really great for the money...
Westone played poorly IMO. Just adding drivers don't make things better. Nor does pricing the W60 at the price of UERM and IE800.

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #1,432 of 3,321
Hi, could i check, what are some sound impressions as compared to the ak120 or ak100ii? i have the ak jr now but might possibly be looking to upgrade/sidegrade. thanks so much in advance

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,433 of 3,321
I just got the Astell & Kern Jr and a pair of Westone W3 to dip my toe in the world of IEMs.  My initial impression of the pair is musical and detailed, with good separation between the musicians; it's easy to tell what each musician is doing.  The overall sound is a little light weight, lacking in heft.  Some would call it detailed, fast; others would call it bass shy, I'm sure.  Burn-in and much more listening is required.  The good news is I hate neither and will enjoy listening to them to decide if they are for me for the long term.

I only have a couple of hundred titles loaded at a time, so the UI is much quicker than the HiFiMan HM650 I had previously.

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #1,434 of 3,321
  I just got the Astell & Kern Jr and a pair of Westone W3 to dip my toe in the world of IEMs.  My initial impression of the pair is musical and detailed, with good separation between the musicians; it's easy to tell what each musician is doing.  The overall sound is a little light weight, lacking in heft.  Some would call it detailed, fast; others would call it bass shy, I'm sure.  Burn-in and much more listening is required.  The good news is I hate neither and will enjoy listening to them to decide if they are for me for the long term.

I only have a couple of hundred titles loaded at a time, so the UI is much quicker than the HiFiMan HM650 I had previously.

Yeah, the Jr.'s sound could use a bit more weight (in the mids) but then I look at how small and thin it is. It still sounds better than most other DAPs and it isn't bass shy (imo) unless you're using a bass light headphone. Tried a couple of amps (iDSD and E17) to help thicken the mids but they seriously cramped the Jr.'s slim style. Didn't feel the amps added enough to make the increased bulk worth it.

Soundstage is also impressive as it the detail retrieval. Still surprised how something so small puts out such great sound quality. Not to mention is has enough power to drive all my headphones. Some get it close to max volume though and I don't have any super-hungry headphones (to be honest).

Only had mine for a month or so but some burn-in may help.

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,436 of 3,321
My A&K Jr arrived with the USB DAC not working, has this happened to anyone else?

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,437 of 3,321
  My A&K Jr arrived with the USB DAC not working, has this happened to anyone else?

The DAC feature is pretty finicky. I was only able to get it working on an old Mac laptop.

Wouldn't put much energy into the Jr. as a DAC until perhaps the next firmware update. Its still a great-sounding, super-slim player for now.

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,438 of 3,321
  Have any of you tried the Pro Eq? I think it adds a little weight.

Tried both EQs just for kicks and (just like every other device I've tried with an EQ) the S/N ratio drops immediately after switching it on.

I wouldn't mind using EQ if not for that instant crippling of the original audio.

For now, I'm using a pair of Blue Mo-Fi headphones with my AK Jr. The Mo-Fi's built-in analog amp (and sometimes the bass boost) does wonders. Mo-Fi isn't the most portable headphone but its nice to have an "external" amp without the extra bulk and wiring.

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #1,439 of 3,321

Tried both EQs just for kicks and (just like every other device I've tried with an EQ) the S/N ratio drops immediately after switching it on.

I wouldn't mind using EQ if not for that instant crippling of the original audio.

For now, I'm using a pair of Blue Mo-Fi headphones with my AK Jr. The Mo-Fi's built-in analog amp (and sometimes the bass boost) does wonders. Mo-Fi isn't the most portable headphone but its nice to have an "external" amp without the extra bulk and wiring.

I pretty much use the Jr. with my Alclair RSM Customs and it sounds perfect. As most sources go they have good synergy with specific headphones/IEMs and vise-versa.

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,440 of 3,321
Pretty disappointed in the A&K Jr overall-I think the X3ii is more powerful and sound quality at the very least is equal. Certainly not $200 better than the X3. Very nice to look at and the UI I think is much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back