Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,382 of 3,321
Annoyed that there's still no fix for the jr cutting off the ends of songs. for an expensive music player that's really not on. 

USB DAC functionality still broken in windows 10 too, unless you disable USB3 (which isn't going to happen). 

As much as I love the audio quality, I am really starting to think this was a bad purchase. Might look at selling it and getting a fiio. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,383 of 3,321

As much as I try to like this DAP, the more I use it, the more I get frustrated by the crappy UI. I have a couple other DAP's and they are all less expensive and work flawlessly. Why can't A&K get their act together and sort this out. Is it because we are the "poor cousins" and bought the least expensive model?
My Cayin N5 is an absolute joy to use and so is my Shanling M3. I am so sorry that I didn't wait before buying this unit. It looks great and sounds great but the user experience is terrible.
I must see if I can return it for a credit and buy something else. I can promise you this: A&K will NEVER see another dime from me! This situation is unacceptable to me as a consumer particularly when other manufacturers can deliver a competent product for less money. My 2c worth. Cheers.

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #1,386 of 3,321
Sep 22, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #1,387 of 3,321
I really like the Jr despite the fact that that the UI is getting dumped on. I do feel it is less polished than the 100ii but since I let it play randomly when hiking and walking and only invariably skip to the next track, the UI doesn't bother me. Love the sound. Very nicely presented. Bass and treble are decent. It really shines in the mid-range presentation. It has enough power to drive some larger phones but comes close to max volume (with my HD700s). I have been using with various IEMs and it drives them wonderfully. For my travel DAP, it is just the right form and size. Love the thinness. Same overall footprint as my Iphone5 but half as thick. To decide, ask yourself what you're going to be doing with it. If it was my home system, I may not have chosen it for just that purpose. As a travel unit, it is just what I was looking for.

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,388 of 3,321

As much as I try to like this DAP, the more I use it, the more I get frustrated by the crappy UI. I have a couple other DAP's and they are all less expensive and work flawlessly. Why can't A&K get their act together and sort this out. Is it because we are the "poor cousins" and bought the least expensive model?
My Cayin N5 is an absolute joy to use and so is my Shanling M3. I am so sorry that I didn't wait before buying this unit. It looks great and sounds great but the user experience is terrible.
I must see if I can return it for a credit and buy something else. I can promise you this: A&K will NEVER see another dime from me! This situation is unacceptable to me as a consumer particularly when other manufacturers can deliver a competent product for less money. My 2c worth. Cheers.

That's sort of the confusing thing.  It isn't like a smooth GUI is difficult to achieve with modest hardware, those small candybar form factor Sony Walkmans have pretty responsive GUI compared to this.  

I don't think its a case of product differentiation because I don't really feel the larger priced models are all that flash either in the GUI department.  Which is sort of the state of the current DAP market where you have a lot of very expensive products but very few get the actual functionality done well.  

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #1,389 of 3,321
I wonder if it's that hard to fit something like snapdragon 400 into a $1000 DAP. Even my watch has a 400, and it's tiny. It can't be too hard, but it seems like all companies choose to put the slowest processors and UIs.

I don't have too much issues with the Jr. The UI is bit laggy, but it's still usable.

I'm working on a review btw. It should get published soon hopefully. I've been rather busy recently.

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,390 of 3,321

No issues with the Jr's UI here either. Better than many others I've seen when it comes to folders and creating playlists. Don't have more than a dozen or two tracks per folder though and I wonder if that makes a difference in the speed (someone here had thousands of tracks in one folder and experienced lag/delays).

Love the slim form factor and, even better, the rotary volume and navigation controls. Also like that the screen doesn't turn on (wasting battery like other players) each time a track is paused or skipped nor when adjusting the volume.

Also has more output power than you'd think for something this small.

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #1,391 of 3,321
I totally agree with that.

I arranged my music (nearly 2000 songs, only FLACs in 16 or 24 bits) with a folder by artist and then one by album (or disc).
So, I almost only use the "play all" function on an artist or an album in straight mode and just enjoy the SQ. No playlist.
Sometime, I use random mode on all my music when I am in no mood of making a choice. This way, I sometime use forward key to skip a song but I never experienced a problem.

Sorry for you guys having issues with the UI. I personnaly don't.

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,392 of 3,321
  I totally agree with that.

I arranged my music (nearly 2000 songs, only FLACs in 16 or 24 bits) with a folder by artist and then one by album (or disc).
So, I almost only use the "play all" function on an artist or an album in straight mode and just enjoy the SQ. No playlist.
Sometime, I use random mode on all my music when I am in no mood of making a choice. This way, I sometime use forward key to skip a song but I never experienced a problem.

Sorry for you guys having issues with the UI. I personnaly don't.

LOL, that's exactly how I did it.

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,393 of 3,321
All I do is hit "play all" put it in my pocket and enjoy the sound. It did freeze on me once did a reset with the power button and all was good again. im sure there will be more future updates on the way to cover issues.

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,394 of 3,321
  Annoyed that there's still no fix for the jr cutting off the ends of songs. for an expensive music player that's really not on. 

USB DAC functionality still broken in windows 10 too, unless you disable USB3 (which isn't going to happen). 

As much as I love the audio quality, I am really starting to think this was a bad purchase. Might look at selling it and getting a fiio. 

The songs getting cut like the dac function doesnt apply to all users though. I have a problem with DAC functionality which is a huge bummer but my songs dont get cut at the end. Might be a good idea to ask for a replacement from your distributor.

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #1,395 of 3,321

LOL, that's exactly how I did it.

Huh. Same with me.

One of my initial DAP experiences was with the Fiio X3. I gave up on trying to use the X3 database features.  I could never get them working consistently so I changed to filing my albums by high level genre, artist and album.  I only access the songs via folder view. 

No issues with UI latency or song cutoffs.  On occasion, I will experience a song ending early with the next song starting over it but this occurs well before the end of the song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back