Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 7, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #46 of 3,321
  Looks like this is already available in Seoul. I was gonna go with the AK100ii but I think I have hear these before deciding...

Btw, what is the purpose of limiting the micro-sd to 64gb? All the promotion stuff online seems to say it supports up to 64gb.

I am not 100% on this but I do think the main reason being the different partitioning and formatting issues of 64Gb vs. 128Gb cards.  I just got myself a SanDisk 128Gb microSD for the AK Jr, so I will report back later when I have my unit.

May 7, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #47 of 3,321
  Very tempted to grab one from ebay but theres not much info about the warranty so i think i'm safer waiting till local dealers get them in.

Not sure about Aus, but the support I got from AK/iriver here in US has been VERY good.  Heck, how off often will a company contact you for support on their own after posting some minor issues on YouTube(about some broken bits for my AK240 Blue Note unboxing.) 

May 9, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #49 of 3,321

I'd be astonished if they didn't engineer their display with the proper EMF shielding.  Seems like it would be a simple problem to counteract.

Well, you'd think they'd engineer their balanced connection sockets with proper sizing, robustness and reliability, on a several thousand dollar flagship, but evidently they feel a tiny 2.5mm toy socket is appropriate.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
I can say they mentioned a lot of choice as to what guts it got was solely based on trying to stay just within reach of all other DAP's in that area! When asked about different dacs and wifi along with other things it was mentioned they did not want to cut into their 100ii as competition. Makes good sense

And here we have the crux of the matter.

iRiver seemingly do not want to engineer the best DAP they can within the price sector.

It seems they merely want to engineer a reasonable DAP that generically competes with others in the same price sector, just to get a piece of their action (and a piece of the action iRiver has traditionally occupied, prior to the A&K marketing bandwagon launching prices into the stratosphere).

God forbid they produce anything that threatens their huge margins on their upper-tier offerings. That simply wouldn't do, would it?

I really don't see what this DAP is bringing to the marketplace that stands above the competition in the sector.

May 9, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #50 of 3,321

iRiver seemingly do not want to engineer the best DAP they can within the price sector.

It seems they merely want to engineer a reasonable DAP that generically competes with others in the same price sector, just to get a piece of their action (and a piece of the action iRiver has traditionally occupied, prior to the A&K marketing bandwagon launching prices into the stratosphere).

God forbid they produce anything that threatens their huge margins on their upper-tier offerings. That simply wouldn't do, would it?

I really don't see what this DAP is bringing to the marketplace that stands above the competition in the sector.

I would say its form factor is one thing will let it stand above others. Slim daps seem to be quite rare from what i can tell, here in australia the only ones i've seen is the ak jr and sonys a15 which doesn't look like it can hang with the jr when it comes to raw power.

May 9, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #51 of 3,321
Well, you'd think they'd engineer their balanced connection sockets with proper sizing, robustness and reliability, on a several thousand dollar flagship, but evidently they feel a tiny 2.5mm toy socket is appropriate. 
rolleyes.gif

There's no balanced output on the Jr of course, but that's a valid point.  Although poor EMF shielding seems to me like it would rise to the level of outright incompetence as that would directly torpedo the central function of the device.  I am now going to speak directly out of my butt since I have no direct knowledge on the matter, but I think I read somewhere that they made the balanced out a different size so people wouldn't plug things into the wrong socket.  Also, the primary design criteria for the entire product line is to be mobile players, so they probably landed on the 2.5mm jack because other options would have required something significantly larger and affected the size of the units.  I can see the logic behind the decision, whether it was a good decision is another question
wink.gif

I think a big part of it is that we have reached the audio end-game from a technical point--the raw components needed to produce truly excellent audio just aren't very expensive any more so the "added value" comes exclusively from bells and whistles.

It's no secret that A&K are going for the luxury/enthusiast market, which is well known for being strongly irrational as to what kind of prices people are willing to pay, and the Jr is intended to stake out the bottom end of that range.  They absolutely could have put out a player with the same specs and internals at a lower price, but why should they if they can do good (or perhaps better) business at the higher price?  I'm sure they ran the numbers carefully to land on the prices they've chosen.   Once again, I can see the logic behind it whether I agree with it or not.  For the record, I obviously must agree on some level since I own an AK120II and am extremely happy with it 
biggrin.gif

FWIW I can't think of any company selling any product that does so purely out of the goodness of their heart, and it would be critically bad business to waste company resources developing and marketing something that undercut the profitability of their other offerings.  IMO where the A&K product line distinguishes itself from the other DAP's on the market is in build quality, design, UI, and ergonomics.  Individual taste comes into play at that point, and I think they've done an outstanding job on those fronts.

May 12, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #54 of 3,321

What it offers that interests me is the slim form factor and functional UI

May 12, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #56 of 3,321
Actually I have been wondering: is that dock they use to demo the Jr the same as the 100II/120II?

May 14, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #57 of 3,321
Just saw that the JR is available in the states via amazon...anyone bite yet? Says delivery by May 19th. I am very tempted to grab one. Love this form. The more I look at this, the more I want one...

May 14, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #58 of 3,321
I tested the Jr. side by side with the AK100ii and AK120ii.

Surprising how similar they got the signature while using a completely different DAC chip. I've never heard the wolfson sound so neutral. I could have sworn all three were using the Cirrus logic instead of Wolfson.

It lacks a bit of refinement and smoothness of the older brothers but it sounded pretty excellent/amazing. I think I would prefer it over the X5 and DX90, just because of the neutral signature. It is also just as detailed as those two boys. the AK100ii was just a bit more airy/refined with the details better textured/smoother by a little bit. But that little bit was enough for me to go for the AK100ii. The Jr's form factor was nice, but the edges were sharper than the smoother build of the AK100ii too. Overall a solid player at the price and I was really tempted to get it instead of the Ak100ii.

May 14, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #59 of 3,321
Just saw that the JR is available in the states via amazon...anyone bite yet? Says delivery by May 19th. I am very tempted to grab one. Love this form. The more I look at this, the more I want one...

Damn no Prime, and I already pre-ordered from Moon Audio.  Very temping.

p.s. they got a scree protector for it too.  LOL.

p.p.s. I checked the original seller site (Breach Camera) and it still listed as pre-order by them.

Surprising how similar they got the signature while using a completely different DAC chip. I've never heard the wolfson sound so neutral. I could have sworn all three were using the Cirrus logic instead of Wolfson.

Now I got to test it out against my AK120.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back