Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #16 of 3,321
Not impressed with their DAC choice,it's yesterdays news.Most of us know that DAC specs is only part of the equation and implementation is very important but i have a feeling this thing is gonna get creamed by x7 with the much better specs and not that far off in price,unless they work some fairy dust.Why not release this with the higher regarded WM8741 price it $100-$150 higher and then you can cut off the fiio sales since this is much better looking and more prestigious as a brand.

Nevertheless,i see alot who buy this sending it to Red Wine for mod(unnecessary complication again,should have that DAC in the first place we're not in 2012 anymore).

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #17 of 3,321
We'll have to see how it sounds, but yeah, it's not exactly a cutting-edge product except for the aesthetics.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #18 of 3,321
Hi all just some more info on the junior, I was axpona yesterday and not only got to see the jr but heard it too! Just a few notes: no wifi just apex Bluetooth, went back to the wolfs in dac chip, size is spot on! Nice thin perfect for on the go, screen is clear, am went back to a version of Linux for the os and comes boxed with just the basics, dap, USB, warranty card. It was explained to me to think 100ii then strip it down! Owning a 100ii and 120ii I found ak's statement true! Nice player , I wil be ordering one!

I can say they mentioned a lot of choice as to what guts it got was solely based on trying to stay just within reach of all other DAP's in that area! When asked about different dacs and wifi along with other things it was mentioned they did not want to cut into their 100ii as competition. Makes good sense

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #19 of 3,321
Hi all just some more info on the junior, I was axpona yesterday and not only got to see the jr but heard it too! Just a few notes: no wifi just apex Bluetooth, went back to the wolfs in dac chip, size is spot on! Nice thin perfect for on the go, screen is clear, am went back to a version of Linux for the os and comes boxed with just the basics, dap, USB, warranty card. It was explained to me to think 100ii then strip it down! Owning a 100ii and 120ii I found ak's statement true! Nice player , I wil be ordering one!

I can say they mentioned a lot of choice as to what guts it got was solely based on trying to stay just within reach of all other DAP's in that area! When asked about different dacs and wifi along with other things it was mentioned they did not want to cut into their 100ii as competition. Makes good sense

So how's it sound? Is it as good as the ak100ii? Or worse?

Not impressed with their DAC choice,it's yesterdays news.Most of us know that DAC specs is only part of the equation and implementation is very important but i have a feeling this thing is gonna get creamed by x7 with the much better specs and not that far off in price,unless they work some fairy dust.Why not release this with the higher regarded WM8741 price it $100-$150 higher and then you can cut off the fiio sales since this is much better looking and more prestigious as a brand.

Nevertheless,i see alot who buy this sending it to Red Wine for mod(unnecessary complication again,should have that DAC in the first place we're not in 2012 anymore).

This is my concern as well they could have used the 8741 and made this for those that wanted the rwak100 sound but with the ui and build of the ak100ii maybe a true line out (imaging how good it would have sounded stacked with the cavalli liquid silicone) I'd never get the old ak (screen to small accidental presses galore). But if it had the convenience of the new aks I'd buy it. What sucks is that they down graded the screen (the ak100 ii screen is gorgous by the way)instead of using the stock they had they got a new screen manufacturer and probably increased the cost due to new contracts being needed just to not step on the toes of their other product. By the way the size of the ak100ii was already quite good and if they had to make it that size to accommodate my request I doubt many people would complain (but since I can only speak for myself I know I wouldn't) .

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #29 of 3,321
I had borrowed a 100II for a few days and I loved it...however, I cannot see myself spending 900 dollars on a standalone DAP.  500 and we can start to have a discussion.  I'm definitely looking to give this guy a shot.  Just hope they are widely available at launch, whenever that is.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #30 of 3,321

1741 likes higher voltages and is a lot more power hungry. Not a good choice for a small DAP. I highly doubt a 1740 done right will be the bottleneck in a $499 DAP. A 1740 is a very capable and appropriate device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back