Astell&Kern AK380
Apr 23, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #4,801 of 9,041
Err hello...? When paying that idiot amount of money it should work 100% well. And for sure the most important thing should work! Most don't use balanced so the single end has to work. And wow $3500 and not even giving any response is really bad. Besides this the quality control seems quite bad overall. I don't know for you, but if I bought even a $200 notebook with the touchpad not working, I'd be mad. Would you say it's OK because you can use short keys?

The dap doesn't function at all. And for the price it's insane such a thing can happen, and if it happens, they should work their #### off for fixing it, not giving no response as it seems they're only interested in audiophile's money.

I think we need to take a step back and get more information from Chan007. Who did he buy the DAP from? Bricks 'n mortar store? Online? Directly from AK?

Next is how has he reached out to AK? I think we already know trying to reach out to AK via an internet forum or social networking media site is as good as sticking a piece of post it on a bulletin board asking for help from the manufacturer.

One should go back to where they bought their device from - if it's a retail store, then go back t here and make it their problem to reach out to the maker. Similarly if it's online then work out is it a legit approved site, or grey market.

Let's get some information first before pointing fault.

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #4,802 of 9,041
Err hello...? When paying that idiot amount of money it should work 100% well. And for sure the most important thing should work! Most don't use balanced so the single end has to work. And wow $3500 and not even giving any response is really bad. Besides this the quality control seems quite bad overall. I don't know for you, but if I bought even a $200 notebook with the touchpad not working, I'd be mad. Would you say it's OK because you can use short keys?

The dap doesn't function at all. And for the price it's insane such a thing can happen, and if it happens, they should work their #### off for fixing it, not giving no response as it seems they're only interested in audiophile's money.

This condescending tone does nothing for anyone except insult owners.....

I don't get the reverse snobbery here!!!

Do you owned a 380, or even heard it???...Yet you continue to post and bash. What is the purpose???

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #4,803 of 9,041

I think we need to take a step back and get more information from Chan007. Who did he buy the DAP from? Bricks 'n mortar store? Online? Directly from AK?

Next is how has he reached out to AK? I think we already know trying to reach out to AK via an internet forum or social networking media site is as good as sticking a piece of post it on a bulletin board asking for help from the manufacturer.

One should go back to where they bought their device from - if it's a retail store, then go back t here and make it their problem to reach out to the maker. Similarly if it's online then work out is it a legit approved site, or grey market.

Let's get some information first before pointing fault.

Of course I expected some defence, and you are a bit right about it. Though such an expensive product should work and too often it doesnt and that is bad. What amazes me is that someone here dares to say that it works (in balanced), because for him it works because he uses balanced. Er what!! It doesnt play audio but it works? No it doesnt work and I dont understand why AK has to be defended that way.

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #4,804 of 9,041

This condescending tone does nothing for anyone except insult owners.....

I don't get the reverse snobbery here!!!

Do you owned a 380, or even heard it???...Yet you continue to post and bash. What is the purpose???

Im not insulting at all. You just cant call a device working because for you it works. I dont bash and why should I have heard the player to conclude that the warranty is of a very bad level? It is insane to treat your customers like that, if it happens the way the Chan tells us. He has a bricked device, at least they could reply that they will be working on it to find out where in the software it had gone wrong, not replying is just bad.

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #4,805 of 9,041
Mmm.....lesson: buy from a reputable and trust-worthy dealer only. On-line or gray market or secondary market sales are inherently risky once the unit needs repair or replacement. The cost difference is not worth losing peace of mind. However, I guess I am lucky. My 240 came from the secondary market. Two years hence, the damn thing still works perfectly. When  I bought it, I knew perfectly well the risk that I may be buying a very expensive paperweight. My cu, on the other hand, came from a trusted dealer. So, exchanging it or repairing it will not be a problem. I hope this problem gets resolved expeditiously.

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #4,806 of 9,041
  I think it's a little unfair to AK as the DAP actually functions on it's balanced 2.5mm output, so for balanced only users like myself, I don't have a complaint. 

Hey G,

I had a chance auditioned the AK380cu and was not impressed and survived with walking out from the shop not spending a dim.  It might be the result of me using the Tralucent Ref.1 (with original silver cable) in single-ended config...however, everything equals as I was comparing with my regular AK240 side-by-side with the same files.  The 380 is richer in the mid while others not really provide a wow factor to justify my plunge with substantial fund.  With the 2.5mm balanced output might be a different story but I did not have such config (and most of fellow headfiers might not have as well).

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #4,807 of 9,041
  Now the facebook rep isn't responding either....

Well, charge back filed, let's seem if I get a response now. I wonder if they will come running now that I got my money back and still have the player. (will gladly return it)

AK will NEVER get a dime of my money EVER again. Nice products. Terrible, disappointing service.

The Facebook rep never responded to me, either, but the other name you have was very responsive.  Maybe giving him the benefit of the doubt might work to your advantage.  He could be sick, on vacation, etc..  He was very good when I had a problem.  

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #4,808 of 9,041

Of course I expected some defence, and you are a bit right about it. Though such an expensive product should work and too often it doesnt and that is bad. What amazes me is that someone here dares to say that it works (in balanced), because for him it works because he uses balanced. Er what!! It doesnt play audio but it works? No it doesnt work and I dont understand why AK has to be defended that way.

My comment has nothing to do about product price nor defence to any particular side. I see folks here love the conspiracy, love the drama...yes it's all entertaining but no one has taken the time to ask the basic questions.

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #4,809 of 9,041
chan007 i feel your pain, i also have a terrible issue with my AK380cu which i can not play 24/192 directly to my chord hugo. all it does is clip the hdtracks.com 24/192 album throughout playback.
i am also very tempted to return my unit to my highly reputable store"no questions asked" (from them). they are folks who are lucky with their astell & kern unit but others that are not that lucky, and they
praise and back astell & kern. go figure. "who the cap fits let them wear it" Bob Marley.... astell & kern excellent musical sounding device but not equally so on their customer service & customer happinest.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #4,811 of 9,041
  chan007 i feel your pain, i also have a terrible issue with my AK380cu which i can not play 24/192 directly to my chord hugo. all it does is clip the hdtracks.com 24/192 album throughout playback.
i am also very tempted to return my unit to my highly reputable store"no questions asked" (from them). they are folks who are lucky with their astell & kern unit but others that are not that lucky, and they
praise and back astell & kern. go figure. "who the cap fits let them wear it" Bob Marley.... astell & kern excellent musical sounding device but not equally so on their customer service & customer happinest.

What brand of toslink cable are you using? Most generic toslink cables max out at 24/96.
Need glass/fibre core cables, most generic cables have plastic core and can't transmit 24/192 reliably.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #4,813 of 9,041
  i am only using Silver Dragon Toslink Digital Cable by Moon Audio. is that good enough? i also tried my original toslink cable that came with the chord hugo with the same result.

Moon Audio sells Hugos and 380s, and their cable should work.

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #4,815 of 9,041
Hi,
I need some help, maybe someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong, I'm ripping my whole cd collection (all originals) with the pc. At the moment I already ripped over 400 and transferred to the ak380cu, but a few of them won't work, as I start to play one of them it wont play and none of the functions work, the ak380cu seems to work very very slowly. This has happened with brand new cds which work correctly on the cd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back