Astell&Kern AK380
Feb 14, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #3,498 of 9,041
Mmm...it is not advisable to double amp the kse. I tried it with the cu + cdm + kse. It does not bring anything to the table except added heft and weight.

Get a serious transportable tube amp like my Analog Square paper TU-05.   Magic sound... :)

`  

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #3,499 of 9,041
mmm.....yup. I love tube amps................and SS amps. Lol! Analog Square Paper  is not easily accessible from where I am, just like Fitear earphones (although I got lucky with the TG 334)  Would love to add this year an Analog Square Paper  to my collection.  

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #3,500 of 9,041
After more than a year away from Head Fi., what a wonderful way to ease back in....

With one of the most dynamic recordings produced.......

Absolutely Glorious
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #3,501 of 9,041
Interesting...

But... do you really need tu use the ak380+AkAmp when you use the KSE1500 ? Have you compared to "Ak380+ Shure" to avoid "double ampîng " ? It may sound even more transparent !

Hello bmichels,

You bring up a good a point my friend!  The reason for using the double amp to begin with was originally for the JH Layla's as they sounded even better with the amp.  That said I will give it a try with the 3.5mm unbalanced side of just the RWAK380 and let you know.

Sincerely,
-Speed

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #3,503 of 9,041
Welcome back spkrs01. With the 380 Cu, the sound is getting close to the RWAK240/Hugo stack I've been carrying despite not being as powerful to drive full size headphones (HD800, HEK). With iems, it fine and now the Hugo stays home more often. Witches' Brew is also one of my favourite Living Stereo album, should come over to listen to the LP sometime!

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #3,508 of 9,041
Feb 14, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #3,509 of 9,041
I think the Cu is an absolutely beautiful looking device.  The PCB is not modified and is exactly the same as the stock AK380 as explained to me by the top brass at AK but I believe the sound is a few degrees warmer as also explained to me by the top brass at AK.  I have not personally listened to it myself yet.  

I really wish AK could have provided some kind of lacquer finish to prevent the oxidation and/or galvanic reaction to body oil and sweat so the unit doesn't loose its beautiful luster finish every few days.  I'm very happy AK is planing to come out with the matching amp that is impressive!  

As a commuter it is heavy enough with the AK380 and the Amp so the Cu for me is more transportable then portable so I can't consider purchasing it.  With the regular weight of the two AK devices and having it in my breast jacket pocket along with the KSE-1500 attached to the left side of my belt people on the train clearly don't want to sit next to me and that's a good thing.

Sincerely,
-Speed 

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3,510 of 9,041
  I think the Cu is an absolutely beautiful looking device.  The PCB is not modified and is exactly the same as the stock AK380 as explained to me by the top brass at AK but I believe the sound is a few degrees warmer as also explained to me by the top brass at AK.  I have not personally listened to it myself yet.  

I really wish AK could have provided some kind of lacquer finish to prevent the oxidation and/or galvanic reaction to body oil and sweat so the unit doesn't loose its beautiful luster finish every few days.  I'm very happy AK is planing to come out with the matching amp that is impressive!  

As a commuter it is heavy enough with the AK380 and the Amp so the Cu for me is more transportable then portable so I can't consider purchasing it.  With the regular weight of the two AK devices and having it in my breast jacket pocket along with the KSE-1500 attached to the left side of my belt people on the train clearly don't want to sit next to me and that's a good thing.

Sincerely,
-Speed 

I am an IEM guy on the go -  at home I just use my Esoteric - BHSE - SR009 setup - my AK380 Cu can't even touch the price of a cable in that setup. Therefore, the AK amp, Cu or not, is just obsolete to me, and I won't buy it. Not really a big fan of wearing full size headphones when I am out and about, but if you are really into this kind of stuff, just use a good quality portable headphone amp instead. You can thank me later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back