Astell&Kern AK380
Feb 15, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #3,526 of 9,041
  i am still assuming that the difference in sound betwen ak380 and its cu version is just an eq thing going on with the dsp nothing else

using eq can create magic  

also its so amazing that all of a sudden the cu version is miles ahead and better than the original ak380

i remember when i had the ak100ii people used to say that the ak120ii is miles better than the ak100ii at first, then after few months people started saying both sound the same.

man this hobby is dam expensive

It's only expensive if you can't control yourself and are never content with what you have.

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #3,527 of 9,041
  This weekend I had a chance of comparing my Copper version with the original again. Once again, I am amazed at how far AK has come along. Really good quality product this time. Probably still not worth the price tag but the Copper really gives me the feeling of "buy it if you can afford it", whereas the original AK380 was between "ok there is maybe a slight improvement" and a "meh", at least to me. They really nailed it this time with the Copper. I think the sound of the Copper is the real AK380 that was intended. 

Could you post a picture of them side by side with a copy of today's newspaper?

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #3,529 of 9,041
  I sense a hint of skepticism in your post.  I share it.

man i am getting the cu tomorrow :wink:

well its an innocent skepticism and i was kidding for the above

but its amazing what an eq can do to a dap and i am sure I can achieve the cu sound by eqing my regular ak380 and in a blind test i bet no one will be able to distinguish both from each other

anyhow all respect to all the people who found the cu so much better than the regular ak380 as whats most important is that people love their gadgets

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #3,530 of 9,041
  man i am getting the cu tomorrow :wink:

well its an innocent skepticism and i was kidding for the above

but its amazing what an eq can do to a dap and i am sure I can achieve the cu sound by eqing my regular ak380 and in a blind test i bet no one will be able to distinguish both from each other

anyhow all respect to all the people who found the cu so much better than the regular ak380 as whats most important is that people love their gadgets

You will be amazed with the cu, I were so skeptical when people said the ss is better than the stock 240.

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #3,531 of 9,041
Feb 15, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #3,532 of 9,041

I am really enjoying the Cu., Micheal. It is in definitely more suited to my listening requirements. I was never fond of the stock unit finding it rather sterile with it's technical abilities.

The Cu is more mid-centric, and portrays music with better balance and coherence. Density is higher too. Bass is about as good as it gets in a Dap. In some instances, with great recordings in DXD, DSD128 it even sounds lush....head space is ridiculously good.

All in all, really happy and no bugs yet. Maybe bagged a good unit
normal_smile%20.gif

All of that just from a material difference? You're just trying to sell more gold cables aren't you :wink:

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #3,533 of 9,041
  I am really enjoying the Cu., Micheal. It is in definitely more suited to my listening requirements. I was never fond of the stock unit finding it rather sterile with it's technical abilities.

The Cu is more mid-centric, and portrays music with better balance and coherence. Density is higher too. Bass is about as good as it gets in a Dap. In some instances, with great recordings in DXD, DSD128 it even sounds lush....head space is ridiculously good.

All in all, really happy and no bugs yet. Maybe bagged a good unit
normal_smile%20.gif

Don't you hate it when a company tries to sell you a $3500 DAP that is sterile?

Wait until you hear the silver version.  The copper one will sound like crap also.

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #3,534 of 9,041

You will be amazed with the cu, I were so skeptical when people said the ss is better than the stock 240.

The Cu is not only significant better than the original AK380 - it actually makes me feel that there is a very good improvement over the AK240 that it is finally worth the jump. Did I not hear AK380's improvement over AK240? I certainly did, but the improvement was more like "meh". This is no longer the case. AK380 Cu is the DAP of all time, and yes, it does have a night and day difference with the original AK380, EQ-ed or not. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #3,535 of 9,041

The Cu is not only significant better than the original AK380 - it actually makes me feel that there is a very good improvement over the AK240 that it is finally worth the jump. Did I not hear AK380's improvement over AK240? I certainly did, but the improvement was more like "meh". This is no longer the case. AK380 Cu is the DAP of all time, and yes, it does have a night and day difference with the original AK380, EQ-ed or not. 

Do you not wonder what AK is holding back for the next version?

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #3,536 of 9,041
I second the comments/views here on the Cu. version being superior to the stock unit.

It's a phenomenal DAP in its own right, but the price is the only thing left to be desired (well, it is AK, so I shouldn't be surprised).

For those who are pouring cold water on this, do yourself a favor & have a listen/demo, if you have a chance to; no point passing around sarcastic remarks, just because you cannot afford it and/or you're having regrets purchasing the stock unit.

I am very much looking forward to AK's next flagship DAP, & if it can at least be on par with, or maybe even surpass the Hugo's/Mojo's SQ, then the Cu.'s pretty much dispensable. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #3,537 of 9,041
  I second the comments/views here on the Cu. version being superior to the stock unit.

It's a phenomenal DAP in its own right, but the price is the only thing left to be desired (well, it is AK, so I shouldn't be surprised).

For those who are pouring cold water on this, do yourself a favor & have a listen/demo, if you have a chance to; no point passing around sarcastic remarks, just because you cannot afford it and/or you're having regrets purchasing the stock unit.

I am very much looking forward to AK's next flagship DAP, & if it can at least be on par with, or maybe even surpass the Hugo's/Mojo's SQ, then the Cu.'s pretty much dispensable. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you saying the CU is not at Mojo level?

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #3,539 of 9,041
I hope for you that the AK480 is not just around the corner :wink:

No thanks I am done,  that's why I am now selling my ak380 and amp combo

I will just use my cowon d with my upcoming adel u12

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #3,540 of 9,041
Just wanted to mention that the 380 Cu processes DSD256 remarkably smoothly, and the sound is absolutely glorious. Rich and full bodied!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back