Astell&Kern AK380
Feb 14, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #3,511 of 9,041
Thanks guys, good to be back!

How do you like the AK380 CU? Better than the regular AK380?

I am really enjoying the Cu., Micheal. It is in definitely more suited to my listening requirements. I was never fond of the stock unit finding it rather sterile with it's technical abilities.

The Cu is more mid-centric, and portrays music with better balance and coherence. Density is higher too. Bass is about as good as it gets in a Dap. In some instances, with great recordings in DXD, DSD128 it even sounds lush....head space is ridiculously good.

All in all, really happy and no bugs yet. Maybe bagged a good unit
normal_smile .gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #3,512 of 9,041
mmm.....yeah, I can second that. As a standalone DAP, the ak 380 cu is just about the best there is. Closest competitor, in my opinion, is the Lotoo Paw Gold (a heavyweight). I love the LPG, except the damn quirky, ugly-ass design is off-putting.

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #3,513 of 9,041
This weekend I had a chance of comparing my Copper version with the original again. Once again, I am amazed at how far AK has come along. Really good quality product this time. Probably still not worth the price tag but the Copper really gives me the feeling of "buy it if you can afford it", whereas the original AK380 was between "ok there is maybe a slight improvement" and a "meh", at least to me. They really nailed it this time with the Copper. I think the sound of the Copper is the real AK380 that was intended. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #3,514 of 9,041
  mmm.....yeah, I can second that. As a standalone DAP, the ak 380 cu is just about the best there is. Closest competitor, in my opinion, is the Lotoo Paw Gold (a heavyweight). I love the LPG, except the damn quirky, ugly-ass design is off-putting.

+1

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #3,515 of 9,041

I am really enjoying the Cu., Micheal. It is in definitely more suited to my listening requirements. I was never fond of the stock unit finding it rather sterile with it's technical abilities.

The Cu is more mid-centric, and portrays music with better balance and coherence. Density is higher too. Bass is about as good as it gets in a Dap. In some instances, with great recordings in DXD, DSD128 it even sounds lush....head space is ridiculously good.

All in all, really happy and no bugs yet. Maybe bagged a good unit
normal_smile%20.gif

Thanks man and welcome back. I hope the AK380 will be a good pairing with the Plus5 :wink:

Thanks guys, The LPG is my favorite DAP, great sounding and actually very easy to use. I will try to compare, but how do you think they compare soundwise. Where the LPG had the edge over the 240SS and even the 380 is clearly the depth of stage and body of the bass.

Trick question: anyone compared AK380CU to Cowon Plenue S?

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #3,517 of 9,041
I was just listening to "in the air tonight" Phil Collins (Hoffman remix) with the Cu and Ref.1 Too.

Fell in love with this song when I had my home system, at the time Krell/Wilson, great for testing immediacy, transients, slam, attack, note weight, decay and the y axis, also getting neighbours to complain.

Although the Krell/Wilsons was super exciting to listen to, the tonal weight of the drum kit was a little off, from mid to bass, left to right with some smearing. It wasn't until years later, on my Soulution/Magico system that I realized this.

Anyways, the 380 Cu is the best that I have heard this song portrayed on personal device, and reminiscent of the Soulution/Magico in miniature. I must say that listening to the song on other Daps have always left me rather disappointed.

Bass reproduction on the Cu is in a league of it's own. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #3,519 of 9,041
  I was just listening to "in the air tonight" Phil Collins (Hoffman remix) with the Cu and Ref.1 Too.

Fell in love with this song when I had my home system, at the time Krell/Wilson, great for testing immediacy, transients, slam, attack, note weight, decay and the y axis, also getting neighbours to complain.

Although the Krell/Wilsons was super exciting to listen to, the tonal weight of the drum kit was a little off, from mid to bass, left to right with some smearing. It wasn't until years later, on my Soulution/Magico system that I realized this.

Anyways, the 380 Cu is the best that I have heard this song portrayed on personal device, and reminiscent of the Soulution/Magico in miniature. I must say that listening to the song on other Daps have always left me rather disappointed.

Bass reproduction on the Cu is in a league of it's own. 

Magico Q7???

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #3,520 of 9,041
Absolutely delightful sounding on the 380Cu, beautiful vocal, Steinway, great recording venue........

http://shop.dsdfile.com/2013/10/04/yamina-love-letters-ep/

yamina2.jpg

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #3,524 of 9,041

I am surprised you are comparing the AK to  such a great system. While I have no doubt that Translucent makes great IEMs, The AK380 Cu is probably only worthy to be one of the spike bases for the Magico. Yes you'll need four for each speaker...  

It wasn't a comparison as such, just a recollection of a memory evoked by the song. I mean that is what this hobby is about, the music and it's association emotionally.  

I certainly am not a snob about gear. If something is good, it's good, nothing to do with brands. If a company is moving boundaries within it's operating space, I can only applaud them as a consumer. And as a consumer I can only decide what is best for me. No point harking on about this, that, and the other. Too taxing, at least for me.

What is great about life is choices within one's own personal circumstances. AK is definitely not a brand for everyone, but then why should I care.............

Anyways, back to the real reason being here, the 380 Cu

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #3,525 of 9,041
i am still assuming that the difference in sound betwen ak380 and its cu version is just an eq thing going on with the dsp nothing else

using eq can create magic  

also its so amazing that all of a sudden the cu version is miles ahead and better than the original ak380

i remember when i had the ak100ii people used to say that the ak120ii is miles better than the ak100ii at first, then after few months people started saying both sound the same.

man this hobby is dam expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back