Astell&Kern AK380
Feb 13, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #3,481 of 9,041
  yeah prepare ur wallet for 1500 usd

I won't likely go that high, but if it's a great improvement, who knows.  I listened using my ALO Rx last night, and it had more than enough power maintaining great SQ.  Shame AK couldn't deliver that same sound for the same price.  Again, I don't hate the AK380 amp.  It does what it does.  It could have been much better.

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #3,482 of 9,041
I am guessing $900 for the Cu amp.

Oh, that's way too high!  I'm betting $899. 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #3,483 of 9,041

I won't likely go that high, but if it's a great improvement, who knows.  I listened using my ALO Rx last night, and it had more than enough power maintaining great SQ.  Shame AK couldn't deliver that same sound for the same price.  Again, I don't hate the AK380 amp.  It does what it does.  It could have been much better.

yeah alo is really great with ak380

what i am doing now i have 3 setups 

home transportable setup:   android--- mojo---- alo mk3 B---- oppo pm1

on the go setup: ak380+amp---- shure 846 and soon after 10 days  64 audio adel u12

car setup :  cowon d--- pioneer head unit--- helix pro dsp----- 3 audison lrx amps--- hybrid audio 3 way speakers--- sub

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #3,484 of 9,041
  such a BS with RWAK thing. I used to have RWAK AK100  (bought from sell/buy section at some audio forum) and got the chance to compare it with my  friend's original AK100 - no difference .  I don't mind if some guys make some bucks over peoples believe that some guy can disassemble the $3500 player and do some soldering  dramatically improving the sound but I'm not one of them.

BS really... I have had both the AK380 and the RWAK380 and side by side comparisons with a wide variety of music clearly shows a significant improvement in sound signature!  

I would suggest you re-think your comment as you cannot draw any conclusion based on posting your experience between the RWAK100 and the AK100 and say "such BS with the RWAK thing".   and jump to the AK380. Have you personally heard the RWAK380? You are simply talking out your a*s

-Speed

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #3,485 of 9,041
  BS really... I have had both the AK380 and the RWAK380 and side by side comparisons with a wide variety of music clearly shows a significant improvement in sound signature!  

I would suggest you re-think your comment as you cannot draw any conclusion based on posting your experience between the RWAK100 and the AK100 and say "such BS with the RWAK thing". &nbsp and jump to the AK380. Have you personally heard the RWAK380? You are simply talking out your a*s

-Speed

I have a question regarding Red Wine, and it may just be a rhetorical question.  If Red Wine improves the sound quality of the AK products significantly, why doesn't AK just build those modifications, that RW ends up doing, into their regular production models?  Is it too difficult to do in mass production?  Thanks!

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #3,486 of 9,041
such a BS with RWAK thing. I used to have RWAK AK100  (bought from sell/buy section at some audio forum) and got the chance to compare it with my  friend's original AK100 - no difference .  I don't mind if some guys make some bucks over peoples believe that some guy can disassemble the $3500 player and do some soldering  dramatically improving the sound but I'm not one of them.
The AK100 mod and the mod for the 240/380 are very very different. All the AK100 mod does is decrease the output impedance. That's all. On the AK240/380's however..... And yes I have the RWAK120

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #3,487 of 9,041
  I have a question regarding Red Wine, and it may just be a rhetorical question.  If Red Wine improves the sound quality of the AK products significantly, why doesn't AK just build those modifications, that RW ends up doing, into their regular production models?  Is it too difficult to do in mass production?  Thanks!

Hi Fiascogarcia,

Good to see you.... 

Pricing aside...IMHO AK builds a high quality product. I like the construction, the user Interface, sound, ease of use and how really seamless you can switch between recording file formats.  It is also my understanding, the AK380 circuit design, printed circuit board (PCB) and construction are really very well though out from an engineering point of view.  

Yes manufacturing has its advantages especially in areas like production speed, quality control and consistency, reliability and other factors.  The footprint (physical size) of the unit combined with the features of the device pushing every cm of real estate on the PCB and this coupled with manufacturing choices is how we arrive at the AK380.  A beautifully, well thought out engineering marvel.

Because of the very limited space on the device the only way to provide for quality sound improvements is to do them by hand and that process is both time consuming and tedious and the exact intersecting point where Vinnie from Red Wine Audio steps in !  
Vinnie is honestly a perfectionists!  How do I know its  because it takes one to know one.  He takes his time with each and every mod and with his years in the field makes for some honest to goodness significant sound improvements on the AK 380 and the AK 380 amp.  

Could AK make the mods that RWA provides my guess is yes they could.  But at what cost to the company and that question I'm not qualified to answer

Today I was comparing the RWAK 380+RWAKamp to the Cord Hugo using the Shure KSE1500's  and with this combo I decided to retired the Cord Hugo to home use only!  Yes that's how good the mods are.  

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed 

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #3,491 of 9,041
mmm.....you can use a copper or metal polish to easily remove the tarnish (be extremely careful around the ports and buttons). It will be good as new. Part of the "price" of using a copper product. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #3,493 of 9,041

mmmm.....I use this (cleans copper, brass, nickel, pewter, gold, stainless steel and silver). A product of S.C. Johnson. I've used it a number of times now and it cleans tarnish as advertised and there seems to be no damage to my ak cu. The tarnish does not really damage the surface (no peating or anything like that) but it does bother me (since I am OC).

To use: I apply a very minute amount of the polish on a cotton bud and proceed to remove the tarnish on the surface. Then, I polish it with a clean microfibre (in straight directions only). To finish, I use isoprophyl alcohol (also a minute amount) applied with the microfibre cloth to remove the smell and any excess polish. Use a disposable glove or plastic glove while doing the above. It is a chemical.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #3,494 of 9,041

That's a question quite a few of us have been asking.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #3,495 of 9,041
Hi Fiascogarcia,

Good to see you.... 

Pricing aside...IMHO AK builds a high quality product. I like the construction, the user Interface, sound, ease of use and how really seamless you can switch between recording file formats.  It is also my understanding, the AK380 circuit design, printed circuit board (PCB) and construction are really very well though out from an engineering point of view.  

Yes manufacturing has its advantages especially in areas like production speed, quality control and consistency, reliability and other factors.  The footprint (physical size) of the unit combined with the features of the device pushing every cm of real estate on the PCB and this coupled with manufacturing choices is how we arrive at the AK380.  A beautifully, well thought out engineering marvel.

Because of the very limited space on the device the only way to provide for quality sound improvements is to do them by hand and that process is both time consuming and tedious and the exact intersecting point where Vinnie from Red Wine Audio steps in !  
Vinnie is honestly a perfectionists!  How do I know its  because it takes one to know one.  He takes his time with each and every mod and with his years in the field makes for some honest to goodness significant sound improvements on the AK 380 and the AK 380 amp.  

Could AK make the mods that RWA provides my guess is yes they could.  But at what cost to the company and that question I'm not qualified to answer

Today I was comparing the RWAK 380+RWAKamp to the Cord Hugo using the Shure KSE1500's  and with this combo I decided to retired the Cord Hugo to home use only!  Yes that's how good the mods are.  

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed 

Interesting...

But... do you really need tu use the ak380+AkAmp when you use the KSE1500 ? Have you compared to "Ak380+ Shure" to avoid "double ampîng " ? It may sound even more transparent !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back