Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 29, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,158 of 9,040
looks like IRiver missed the boat on the EQ again . . . 
redface.gif

Keep trying fellas . . .  

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #1,159 of 9,040
It seems there are many who thinks Astell&Kern AK380 is not worth the price and likewise on the other side.

The best and simplest way is to let those who think it is worth the price to buy and those who don't,...well don't!

If the pricing is right, it will sell, if not, the product will fail badly with eggs on A&K's face. Let A&K make the pricing decision and let them benefit from or suffer the consequences. No point trying to argue over pricing strategy, IMPO.

To me personally (I accept there is a place for all topics and not trying to influence other), we should use Head-Fi to discuss the technicality, quality and personal perception of such on head-fi products on a polite and rational manner and less on subjective issues like pricing and aesthetic. but that's just me.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #1,160 of 9,040
  It seems there are many who thinks Astell&Kern AK380 is not worth the price and likewise on the other side.

The best and simplest way is to let those who think it is worth the price to buy and those who don't,...well don't!

If the pricing is right, it will sell, if not, the product will fail badly with eggs on A&K's face. Let A&K make the pricing decision and let them benefit from or suffer the consequences. No point trying to argue over pricing strategy, IMPO.

To me personally (I accept there is a place for all topics and not trying to influence other), we should use Head-Fi to discuss the technicality, quality and personal perception of such on head-fi products on a polite and rational manner and less on subjective issues like pricing and aesthetic. but that's just me.

exactly. i always find it unnecessary to argue over this, especially when quite a few of those who complain about the price or even cry for a boycott against a certain brand actually haven't owned or auditioned one. I do appreciate it when people say something is overpriced given the context of their own impression though.
let's just leave pricing to the market and let those who actually bought the item to decide if their purchase is justified.

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #1,163 of 9,040
I got my AK380 about a week ago. It's been burning in since then. Last night, I listened to Shelby Lynne's "Just A Little Loving" album using universal Layla. Lynne's voice was pulsating in the foreground. The vocals were like nothing I had heard before.

More impressions to follow.

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #1,164 of 9,040

Beautiful

Quick first A/B with standard AK240 is that the 380 has a warmer more analogue sound. Not as fast and in your face as the AK240. Slightly more refined but tonnes of varying layers of detail.

AK380 and AK240
ACS Encore
David Gray - Mutineers
London Grammar - If You Wait

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,167 of 9,040
If Red Wine wanted a new mod to AK, a 3.5mm trrs jack would be a good one! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,169 of 9,040

AK240SS > Balanced > Dita Truth Limite Gold / AKJH Layla
AK380 > Balanced > Dita Truth Limite Gold / AKJH Layla

Slightly darker background, slightly tighter bass and slightly wider soundstage.
When you say slightly, do you mean you really have to concentrate and would not differentiate in a blind test? It is hard to answer but just give me a general idea if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back