Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 21, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,081 of 9,041
  I understand and agreed. However based on my experience with the AK 240 with the EQ. setting off are not flat or "neutral" to begin with. They are boosted 
-Speed

Interesting, I find when I turn on the EQ with all five settings at 0dB (no boost), the overall volume drops 4-5dB.

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,082 of 9,041
Maybe this effect I noticed with my recently departed LCD-2R2s is dependent on the impedance of the headphone/IEM used.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #1,083 of 9,041

Interesting, I find when I turn on the EQ with all five settings at 0dB (no boost), the overall volume drops 4-5dB.

That's pretty standard design so that you prevent clipping when boosting frequencies. Even on my Mac with Audirvana, I gotta manually drop everything -4 dB or else I get some major distortion dialing anything up by +2 dB or more.

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #1,084 of 9,041

That's pretty standard design so that you prevent clipping when boosting frequencies. Even on my Mac with Audirvana, I gotta manually drop everything -4 dB or else I get some major distortion dialing anything up by +2 dB or more

I was just looking back on some of the older threads from about this time last year (June 13th or so) and there was a lively discussion as I recall on the AK 240 thread about the 10 band settings during DAC comparison testing. I myself believed that the AK 240 was essentially "flat" when the EQ settings were "off" across all 10 bands.  I discovered the product enhancement (lol) when I had competed extensive testing using 5 DAC players before I purchased the AK 240 and Cord Hugo combination.

In any event the AK 240 is pushed up across all 10 bands and therefore I respectfully disagree with you both. It happens with both IEM's and headphones from my obversations.   I'm also not a DAC designer so I can't completely agree/disagree with DAC design elements as bflat mentioned.  The AK 240 is a good stand alone player.  The AK240 with the Red Wine Audio modification is better still to my ears.  The AK 240 with the Hugo sounds amazing and I never heard the AK240 with the RWA mod and the Hugo combo but I would think it may be the best of them all.  The question is what about the AK 380?  Where does it really stand against these other players and combination of players.  I may end up getting one to demo against these other combos mentioned just to listen to it and shake it out for myself. This will delay my purchase of the HE-1000's but I use the AK more the I will use the full size cans.    
Sincerely,
-Speed  

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #1,085 of 9,041

That's pretty standard design so that you prevent clipping when boosting frequencies. Even on my Mac with Audirvana, I gotta manually drop everything -4 dB or else I get some major distortion dialing anything up by +2 dB or more.

I just realized I meant 10 bands, not 5. And yes, it makes sense how you explain the reasoning behind my observation.

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #1,088 of 9,041

Mmmm.......iRiver to @bmichels: ahhh......the total for that, sir, is USD 17,500.00 plus S & H. Would you like the box with a ribbon? It is free of charge............all-in-one, end-all,be-all is not my thing. i like the flexibility of swapping/pairing DAP and amp/dacs. It is part of what makes this hobby so pleasurable. Google is working on a transformer smartphone. Individual components can be replaced or upgraded as needed or wanted. Better camera module? Unplug the old one and plug the new one, etchetera. The advantages are obvious....and can serve as a template to a futuristic super-DAP.

Well my suggested "one piece Very-Big DAP" won't be more expensive and bigger than some 3 pieces set-up like here : AK240ss + HUGO + Bakoon HPA-01m + 2 interconnects... 
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #1,089 of 9,041
Just read this very different account of the 380 after listening at this years high end 2015 show

http://audiophileon.com/news/astell-kern-ak380-player

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #1,092 of 9,041
I'll say this for AK, they don't do stuff that people say are "ok" or "pretty good". It seems most folks are on polar opposites of love and hate. As the saying goes, there's no such thing as "negative publicity".

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #1,093 of 9,041
The question about how much better the 380 is over the 240, or even the 240SS, is difficult to answer. The 380 uses different DACs with its own sonic signature. Does the different tonality they offer over the 240 DACs really mean an improvement, or is it just different?

I have no desire to upgrade my SS to a 380. I have found a sound that works great for me, and I always have my Hugo if I want to take it up a notch.

For those who are going to upgrade, I applaud their desire to have the latest toy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back