Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 23, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #1,111 of 9,041
  mmm.......traditional vs. newcomer? Sometimes the newcomers win. Lamborghini started as a farm tractor company. Look at where they are now. Raging bull vs. prancing horse. Both are now at par.  

Except Lambo actually has the technical prowess to stand against Ferrari. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #1,113 of 9,041
  mmm.......and the AK380, relative to, say  the Sansa Fuze, does not? Interesting.

Yes, this is more like it. It is like comparing Honda and Toyota when you compare AK with Sansa Fuse for example. Just that the Honda is terribly overpriced (the  AK380 isn't exactly the Honda NSX either, so don't go down that route). There are many luxury items in the world, dCS, Ferrari, Lambo, Petrus, Steinway&Sons, you name it. iRiver just isn't one of them.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #1,114 of 9,041
Yes, this is more like it. It is like comparing Honda and Toyota when you compare AK with Sansa Fuse for example. Just that the Honda is terribly overpriced (the  AK380 isn't exactly the Honda NSX either, so don't go down that route). There are many luxury items in the world, dCS, Ferrari, Lambo, Petrus, Steinway&Sons, you name it. iRiver just isn't one of them.

And your qualified to judge how AKs sound because? You extensively listened to them? Or have owned them?

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #1,115 of 9,041
I have auditioned the AK380 extensively and I own the AK240. Fortunately I also heard a lot of high end source gear that are multiple times more expensive than the 380, and happen to own one myself, all I can say is that the AK does not nearly command the price it is asking for given its quality, having heard DACs or CD players near or exceeding its price range. Many head-fiers are obsessed with getting the best, and there is nothing wrong about that. Just don't fall into the trap that the expensive is the best. Price is relative, and what seems to be expensive in the head fi world is just a tiny fraction of truly high end source hear - so do look out for more before you decide on the AK380. There is a whole world of higher quality source gear with much better ergonomics out there. If people have tried those and still decide to go for AK380, by all means go ahead.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,118 of 9,041
mmmm........
I have auditioned the AK380 extensively and I own the AK240. Fortunately I also heard a lot of high end source gear that are multiple times more expensive than the 380, and happen to own one myself, all I can say is that the AK does not nearly command the price it is asking for given its quality, having heard DACs or CD players near or exceeding its price range. Many head-fiers are obsessed with getting the best, and there is nothing wrong about that. Just don't fall into the trap that the expensive is the best. Price is relative, and what seems to be expensive in the head fi world is just a tiny fraction of truly high end source hear - so do look out for more before you decide on the AK380. There is a whole world of higher quality source gear with much better ergonomics out there. If people have tried those and still decide to go for AK380, by all means go ahead.

mmmm....that would be ideal but unfortunately for a headfier like myself, the really expensive/desktop-class with pedigreed brand names are not my focus/not an option. My particular area of interest are portable/transportable battery-powered headfi gear. I want it on-the-go (absolutely non-negotiable).  Give those parameters, the range of choice is quite narrow: the AKs, some Sony (ZX2 or the like), iBasso (DX 90), Terra (one of these days) and Hifiman. About a dozen and that's it. Same with amp and amp/dacs. I can't relate with what you are saying about comparing the quality of desktop-class equipment with my narrow choices of portable/transportables at comparable price ranges. Given that, I can only/want to compare, say, the AK 240 vs. the AK380 vs. the Sony ZX2 vs. the AK 240/Hugo Chord vs. the iBasso DX90/iFi iDSD Micro. I am not sold yet on the AK 380 (though I can very well afford it). My real concern is the opportunity cost: is buying the AK380 worth more or better than, say, buying another DAP and a fantastic amp/dac combo (at the same cost of an AK 380)? Or, non-DAP related, am I better off with a foregone AK380 and settling for a couple of really good headphones/in-ears/amp dac (say, a K10 + an Aurender Flow)?

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,119 of 9,041
  mmmm........

mmmm....that would be ideal but unfortunately for a headfier like myself, the really expensive/desktop-class with pedigreed brand names are not my focus/not an option. My particular area of interest are portable/transportable battery-powered headfi gear. I want it on-the-go (absolutely non-negotiable).  Give those parameters, the range of choice is quite narrow: the AKs, some Sony (ZX2 or the like), iBasso (DX 90), Terra (one of these days) and Hifiman. About a dozen and that's it. Same with amp and amp/dacs. I can't relate with what you are saying about comparing the quality of desktop-class equipment with my narrow choices of portable/transportables at comparable price ranges. Given that, I can only/want to compare, say, the AK 240 vs. the AK380 vs. the Sony ZX2 vs. the AK 240/Hugo Chord vs. the iBasso DX90/iFi iDSD Micro. I am not sold yet on the AK 380 (though I can very well afford it). My real concern is the opportunity cost: is buying the AK380 worth more or better than, say, buying another DAP and a fantastic amp/dac combo (at the same cost of an AK 380)? Or, non-DAP related, am I better off with a foregone AK380 and settling for a couple of really good headphones/in-ears/amp dac (say, a K10 + an Aurender Flow)?

and have you considered the AK500n,   or "AK120 titan + BAKOON DAC-21 + BAKOON HPA-21 amp" ?   

2 battery powered solution,  but transportable (10 kg) rather than portable.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,121 of 9,041
  mmmm.....10 kg? Lol! For a brief while, I even considered as a viable option the Red Wine Audio Bellina HPA. I even have a Rimowa prepared for that.

As a matter of fact, years ago, I had the Red Wine Audio Bellina HPA as a transportable solution that I use to carry around in a large switcase !  I must be crazy  :)

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,122 of 9,041
mmm.........that's just bloody brilliant! Hard-core headfi'er represent. I'd love to have a moveable sonic feast one of these days........btw, where did you have your TH 900 recabled? I'm thinking of having mine done. Tia.

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #1,123 of 9,041
That's a big ass upgraded cable you got there man.
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #1,125 of 9,041
Ak380 sound details overall are greater then Ak240 and bass are more energetic.

Ak240 sound more full bodied. Is just like comparing Roxanne and Layla.

If anyone want to upgrade to AK380 is better go to the shop and listen by yourself.

For me there is no which is "Better", is just what type of sound are you looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back