Astell&Kern AK380
May 20, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #736 of 9,041
  I wonder if the amp module can fit the rest of the AK240 since its a USB connection.

No. As you may have seen from the photos, there are 4 pins that that connect to the external amp module. I'd gather this means it's balanced line-out onto the external amp. The USB is for charging (and pass-through charging).

@ ZAROFF
Me too, that's why I was surprised there were no reactions yet.
All I know is that the AK CD player is connected to the cradle of the AK380
and that no computer is needed. So the 380 will need to contain the software,
I assume, but I hope that someone who visited the Munich show last week,
will jump in here.

This rips straight to the AK380. This was demonstrated at the Fujiya show last weekend. However, they didn't attempt to play whilst ripping.

The review sound promising.. I would luv to hear it from Anak /Jude / Currawong about their impression. If they don't report back, I am going to quit headfi forever.. like a teenager.

For me at least the sonic improvement over the AK240 is obvious and naturally expected. Although it's not marked as a replacement of the AK240 (I asked Alex An if the AK240 will continue to be sold and firmware continued to be developed, the answer is "yes" - coming from his FB I don't know if it's his personal or work account), the AK380 does seem to be targeted as a more superior model to the AK240 rather than a replacement.

I'm told I'll be getting a loaner when it's closer to production (which isn't far off).

May 20, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #737 of 9,041
No. As you may have seen from the photos, there are 4 pins that that connect to the external amp module. I'd gather this means it's balanced line-out onto the external amp. The USB is for charging (and pass-through charging).

This rips straight to the AK380. This was demonstrated at the Fujiya show last weekend. However, they didn't attempt to play whilst ripping.

For me at least the sonic improvement over the AK240 is obvious and naturally expected. Although it's not marked as a replacement of the AK240 (I asked Alex An if the AK240 will continue to be sold and firmware continued to be developed, the answer is "yes" - coming from his FB I don't know if it's his personal or work account), the AK380 does seem to be targeted as a more superior model to the AK240 rather than a replacement.

I'm told I'll be getting a loaner when it's closer to production (which isn't far off).

Definitely premature to ask but when it comes time to transfer internal memory, anyway to do with my MAC?
Or external drive?

May 21, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #738 of 9,041
Definitely premature to ask but when it comes time to transfer internal memory, anyway to do with my MAC?
Or external drive?

I would copy your current AK240 to your Mac via Android File Transfer and keep it there as backup. If you get a new AK380, then you would upload from your backup using the same Android utility. As many have suggested, it works better if you transfer in smaller chunks of folders, like 30-50 at a time.

May 21, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #739 of 9,041

I would copy your current AK240 to your Mac via Android File Transfer and keep it there as backup. If you get a new AK380, then you would upload from your backup using the same Android utility. As many have suggested, it works better if you transfer in smaller chunks of folders, like 30-50 at a time.

Wait; I don't think the A.T.APP that I have which A&K recommends does anything but copy to the 240 with a MAC.

May 21, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #740 of 9,041

Wait; I don't think the A.T.APP that I have which A&K recommends does anything but copy to the 240 with a MAC.

It works in the opposite direction and is quite a bit faster copying from the AK to your Mac. Just drag folders from AFT to you anywhere in your Finder.

May 21, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #741 of 9,041

It works in the opposite direction and is quite a bit faster copying from the AK to your Mac. Just drag folders from AFT to you anywhere in your Finder.

Wow been using it since buying one of the early 240s and did not realize the app could do that. THANKS! 
beerchug.gif

May 21, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #742 of 9,041
  Same reason for LOD I suppose: streamline process and minimize noise.

What does LOD stand for?

I guess I can understand the design philosophy behind AK wanting to pair their new flagship player with soup-to-nuts accessories, but I shudder to think what the price for the CD drive will be.  I guess we'll see if there are enough really wealthy audiophiles out there with money to burn who are also technically obtuse with computers to justify it.  But why would such a person buy CD's in the first place?  And how do you add tags or album art?

Also, noise isn't an issue for digital information.

May 21, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #743 of 9,041
But why would such a person buy CD's in the first place?  And how do you add tags or album art?
Also, noise isn't an issue for digital information.

I think many especially older HiFiers have large collections of CD's and why buying,  in my case, I still by CD's
now and then, because a FLAC file is not always available. And in my region I cannot by from HDtracks.com

May 21, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #744 of 9,041
  I think many especially older HiFiers have large collections of CD's and why buying,  in my case, I still by CD's
now and then, because a FLAC file is not always available. And in my region I cannot by from HDtracks.com

I still buy and rip (although mostly SACDs these days).

May 21, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #745 of 9,041

I still buy and rip (although mostly SACDs these days).

Which software do you use Anak Chan?
I tried a few, but there is always something. Or the Artwork does not come thru
or the player does not recognise the artist. I wonder which software is great for the Mac.

Up and spinning now is the new Al Dimeola 'Elysium'. Flac file through the balanced out,
but that album was bought as FLAC and came available at the same time the CD and LP
were released. Love his guitar work!

May 21, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #748 of 9,041
Which software do you use Anak Chan?
I tried a few, but there is always something. Or the Artwork does not come thru
or the player does not recognise the artist. I wonder which software is great for the Mac.

[COLOR=141823]Up and spinning now is the new Al Dimeola 'Elysium'. Flac file through the balanced out,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=141823]but that album was bought as FLAC and came available at the same time the CD and LP[/COLOR]
[COLOR=141823]were released. Love his guitar work![/COLOR]

Is the sound clearer when the guitar player is naked?

May 21, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #750 of 9,041
Is the sound clearer when the guitar player is naked?

Funny that you mention that.
In 1991 he was with a naked girl on his 'Kiss my Axe' cover
and in 2002 just a naked lady was on his 'Flesh on Flesh' album.
Now 15 years later he is the one that strips.
Maybe no money for models anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back