Astell&Kern AK380
Apr 8, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #8,266 of 9,041
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've tried that with one at Canjam NYC with my LG V20 and it was fine. Best thing I think you could do is try it yourself before you buy.

Great. That should eliminate the need for having something separate for watching video on my phone. I don't know why I thought I would need a separate DAC for that. I think the AK380 website says the feature is "PC USB" is why. I've noticed the details are sometimes hazy on A&K products.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #8,267 of 9,041
Great. That should eliminate the need for having something separate for watching video on my phone. I don't know why I thought I would need a separate DAC for that. I think the AK380 website says the feature is "PC USB" is why. I've noticed the details are sometimes hazy on A&K products.
With most DAPs that I've tried with the DAC function I find it's mostly dependent on the phone you are using for the source. I've never had a problem my LG V20 though.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #8,272 of 9,041
My AK380 (both with and without AMP) and Rhapsodio Solar CIEM inside an Elephant Elite EL008 case with pre-cut foam:

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #8,274 of 9,041
Unmapped my opinion, the SE sounds better. I don't know if it's because of the ribbon use on the balanced. But for me the SE sounds better in everway without using all the audio buzzword.

I would have expected otherwise and I read plenty on this subject including reading other owners posts on this very tread and online reviews.
it's something that I have spent a good deal of time listening carefully because in most cases the balanced has always sounded better on all my other gear. But on my AK380 copper it's not the case.

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #8,276 of 9,041
Certainly, when the AK480 comes out (which I believe won't be long). The only question is whether the 480 will be even bigger than the 380.

Well this is a good time to start the game of speculating the next Totl AK dap and see who gets it right the most.

1. It will be announce next month at the Munich Audio Fest.
2. It will have two AKM 4497 Dac
3. It will be slightly bigger as they have no choice but to up the amp section to keep up with the competitors
4. They may have two memory slots like the Kann

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #8,277 of 9,041
Unmapped my opinion, the SE sounds better. I don't know if it's because of the ribbon use on the balanced. But for me the SE sounds better in everway without using all the audio buzzword.

I would have expected otherwise and I read plenty on this subject including reading other owners posts on this very tread and online reviews.
it's something that I have spent a good deal of time listening carefully because in most cases the balanced has always sounded better on all my other gear. But on my AK380 copper it's not the case.

I've read somewhere that the power output of the single end is very slightly bigger than the balanced.

Can't remember the source...but that could be a reason.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #8,278 of 9,041
Well this is a good time to start the game of speculating the next Totl AK dap and see who gets it right the most.

1. It will be announce next month at the Munich Audio Fest.
2. It will have two AKM 4497 Dac
3. It will be slightly bigger as they have no choice but to up the amp section to keep up with the competitors
4. They may have two memory slots like the Kann

Agree with all above 4 plus:  1 Tb SSD,   5,5" OLED,  USB-C,  dedicated line-out,  TIDAL & MQA hardware decoding

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #8,279 of 9,041

Agree with all above 4 plus:  1 Tb SSD,   5,5" OLED,  USB-C,  dedicated line-out,  TIDAL & MQA hardware decoding

That screen size would be mighty tempting. I hope it'll have small bezels too - seems like it's all the rage these days, and for good reason. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back