Astell&Kern AK380
Feb 4, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #7,846 of 9,040
Cheers for the info, I may past up the DX200 as I don't like airy sounding signature and prefer more lush full bodied natural sounding. 

Their old model  HDP-R10  was pretty good though from memory  - shame it was a massive brick and had poor battery life.

Yes, probably a good idea... Besides how many daps do we really need? (as I debate getting the ak)...

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #7,847 of 9,040
Yes, probably a good idea... Besides how many daps do we really need? (as I debate getting the ak)...

We need at least 1 DAP  for every day of the month 
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #7,850 of 9,040
I think if there were more daps available some of us might achieve that goal. :wink:

I don't see why we can't achieve that now. You could probably get about 20 DAPs from A&K alone. :D

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #7,852 of 9,040
So I am about to get my cables re-terminated to 2.5 balanced for the 380 as they are currently SE 3.5. After further investigation in this thread however I am now really unsure about this. Seems a whole bunch of people prefer the SE on the 380 and potentially also the amp.

Has anyone gone from SE to balanced for the 380 and regretted it?

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #7,855 of 9,040
So I am about to get my cables re-terminated to 2.5 balanced for the 380 as they are currently SE 3.5. After further investigation in this thread however I am now really unsure about this. Seems a whole bunch of people prefer the SE on the 380 and potentially also the amp.

I actually thought of doing this some time ago (going to balanced), but after reading comments I decided to stick with SE.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #7,856 of 9,040

​It is easy to get a skewed view on this because in the early firmware releases, balanced output was distorting. This was subsequently corrected and personally I think the balanced connection to be superior, but not by a huge margin on the AK380 itself. I hear a bigger improvement on the AK Amp.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #7,857 of 9,040

Mm..I prefer Balanced 380 cu/cu amp. My default in-ear cable is 2.5 mm. If I need to go unbal, I use Labkable 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor. Double the fun.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #7,859 of 9,040
To those that own both a Chord Mojo and the AK Amp, does the AK Amp hold up? I want to buy the AK AMP for the efficiency, 1 cable to charge both the amp and Dap as well as not needing to stack. But is it close in SQ? thx for any impressions in advance.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #7,860 of 9,040
To those that own both a Chord Mojo and the AK Amp, does the AK Amp hold up? I want to buy the AK AMP for the efficiency, 1 cable to charge both the amp and Dap as well as not needing to stack. But is it close in SQ? thx for any impressions in advance.
I don't think this is a like to like comparison? With Mojo you bypass the DAC in the AK380 and use the one in the Mojo instead? The comparison is therefore not just for the amp but the two combos.

Sorry no I don't know the answer :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back